Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

disappointed with scicon
Quote | Reply
I've previously posted about endorsing the Scicon Aerotech Evolution when someone asks for recommendations. It's expensive but Scicon advertises it as "the world's toughest bike case". Mine is less than three years old and have shipped it via FedX about 10-12X all within the U.S. except once by plane to London. This pic shows how the case was returned to me after Arizona Ironman a couple weeks ago. The hole is where a skewer is supposed to be to hold one of the wheels attached to the inside of the case. Apparently something hit the case hard right on the end of the skewer and pushed it all the way through. I contacted Scicon and received a reply that included "damages as a result of abuse such as tears, cuts, and holes......are not covered by the Scicon warranty". They suggested I use a washer to cover the hole. It appears a better design would have been to include some kind of cover over the skewer opening. So if anyone is thinking about spending the extra money and thinking they will be getting a "bulletproof" case, here's an example that may get you to rethink the "investment" and consider alternatives.

Last edited by: gphin305: Dec 1, 15 13:10
Quote Reply
Re: disappointed with scicon [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a dirty little secret that may or may not apply in your case. There was a period of time, when Scicon sub contracted the manufacturing of these offshore. There was an error with the makeup of the resin in the plastic which resulted in a bunch of cases that had more brittle and weaker plastic. They tended to crack where yours did, and at the roller wheel area. I had one of these, and after it got cracked on a trip to Italy, it was replaced no charge. Since then they have returned to manufacturing them in Italy. You can tell that by a "Made in Italy" sticker on the inside of the case. Not sure if this applies to you, but its worth a check.
Quote Reply
Re: disappointed with scicon [goodboyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goodboyr wrote:
There's a dirty little secret that may or may not apply in your case. There was a period of time, when Scicon sub contracted the manufacturing of these offshore. There was an error with the makeup of the resin in the plastic which resulted in a bunch of cases that had more brittle and weaker plastic. They tended to crack where yours did, and at the roller wheel area. I had one of these, and after it got cracked on a trip to Italy, it was replaced no charge. Since then they have returned to manufacturing them in Italy. You can tell that by a "Made in Italy" sticker on the inside of the case. Not sure if this applies to you, but its worth a check.
Thanks for reply. I did check my case and it has the "made in Italy" sticker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scicon is terrible...I made the mistake of buying a few of their single wheel bags from PBK. The zippers on all of them broke within the first few times of use. What a waste
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
goodboyr wrote:

Thanks for reply. I did check my case and it has the "made in Italy" sticker.
Are you sure it doesn't say ConSci, Made in Tialy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me preface by saying that I am not suggesting that this is your fault at all here.

Have you contacted the shipper? Fedex both have policies that say you are not to accept a shipment until it has been instpected and found to be in condition acceptable to you.

Perhaps contact the shipper and point out how they damaged your case? Your ability to prove the damage wasn't there to start with will be difficult unless you have pictures of it before you shipped it, but it still may be worth a try. The fact that you have a hard case should be good for you, as it shows an effort to try and help them ship it without damaging the contents.

Even the toughest bike case can be destroyed by someone that doesn't want to move around a big box. I think there are plenty of videos of airline and shipping company employees throwing bags and boxes around.

Just my two cents..

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Re: disappointed with scicon [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakers wrote:
Let me preface by saying that I am not suggesting that this is your fault at all here.

Have you contacted the shipper? Fedex both have policies that say you are not to accept a shipment until it has been instpected and found to be in condition acceptable to you.

Perhaps contact the shipper and point out how they damaged your case? Your ability to prove the damage wasn't there to start with will be difficult unless you have pictures of it before you shipped it, but it still may be worth a try. The fact that you have a hard case should be good for you, as it shows an effort to try and help them ship it without damaging the contents.

Even the toughest bike case can be destroyed by someone that doesn't want to move around a big box. I think there are plenty of videos of airline and shipping company employees throwing bags and boxes around.

Just my two cents..

jake

No problem....appreciate the feedback. The bike is always shipped back to my company.....this time I was out of office for a few days when it was accepted. Maybe I'll take to FedX and see what they say.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you buy it in the USA? If so, contact http://www.albabici.com and tell them Marq prince sent you. I work for Albabici part time and they are excellent with warranty issues. If this doesn't help, pm me.

Raceboy
In Reply To:
Last edited by: raceboy: Dec 1, 15 20:13
Quote Reply
Re: disappointed with scicon [raceboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
raceboy wrote:
Did you buy it in the USA? If so, contact http://www.albabici.com and tell them Marq prince sent you. I work for Albabici part time and they are excellent with warranty issues. If this doesn't help, pm me.

Raceboy
In Reply To:

Thanks for help but I bought from ProBikeKit....price at the time was around $300 less than prices here in the U.S.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep, that is the risk when you buy out of country.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I have used these cases for about two years. Lots of flights. This fall when we went to 70.3 WC in Austria hers showed up with that same type of damage and the skewer folded across the disc axle end. It was good I had pliers with me in tool kit to get it apart. I used washers for the trip home. I wrote it off as too much skewer threads showing past thumbnut and snagged in something.

At home I found mine had also been damaged similarly on return flight with skewer nut punching through the case. These were direct Condor flights with one short flight to and from Frankfurt. I think the cases were stacked on their sides with something dropped on them.

I repaired hers with a fender washer on each side of case then riveted together. Mine I just hot glued on two fender washers for now. Otherwise the cases have held up well. Crazy that both were damaged on the same trip, the same way, in different travel directions.

This is the kind of thing that would have melted me down in the past. I like my equipment to be in great condition. But with travel these seem to be common issues. Sorry about your case:(
Quote Reply