Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

depression
Quote | Reply
Is depression common in Ironman training? Have great wife/kids/job and great equipment, just super crabby and down.

"injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" MLK
Quote Reply
Re: depression [5588snow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Have great wife/kids/job and great equipment,. . . "

Indeed we seen to have it all in the west/developed world, North America in particular, even free time to train for things like an Ironman, yet compared to many third world and developing countries were many have next to nothing and no free time, depression is a serious problem. Why?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depression is a sign of overtraining. Take a week off. Remember your doing this for fun right?
Quote Reply
Re: depression [sslanger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good advice. Take some time off.

"Remember your doing this for fun right?"

This should be posted at the top of the forum :)
Quote Reply
Re: depression [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"Have great wife/kids/job and great equipment,. . . "

Indeed we seen to have it all in the west/developed world, North America in particular, even free time to train for things like an Ironman, yet compared to many third world and developing countries were many have next to nothing and no free time, depression is a serious problem. Why?
Good question. Although it may not be too directly helpful to the original poster (with whom I sympathize) I found this (rather long, but give it a chance) article which explores why more/easier isn't necessarily better quite interesting:

http://www.motherjones.com/...rsal_of_fortune.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take time off and do something else that you enjoy and repeat my signature line couple times a day.

--------------------------------------------------------
I see obsessed people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the few times I've experienced depression was training for my 1st IM two years ago. A lot of stress trying to fit IM training into a busy life and the physical exertion seemed to trigger generalized anxiety as well as depression.
Quote Reply
Re: depression [sslanger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amen!

Simple but true
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Is depression common in Ironman training? Have great wife/kids/job and great equipment, just super crabby and down.

Get rid of the wife and kids and that will solve your problem.

All kiding aside, when I start to get a little depressed or crabby I cut out morning workouts for a week. Since I am not a morning person that does it for me.
Quote Reply
Re: depression [skip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the link to that essay. It was a very good read. A bit rambling and wanders a bit but in the end the writer links it all up. What a crazy world we live in.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply