Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

choice of road bike.
Quote | Reply
I am 5/6 with 29 inseam, I am looking for a road bike and got across a couple.
2013 scott foil 15 49cm xs
2012 blue axino sl 50.5cm xs
2012 blue ac1 sl 50.5cm xs
Between the blue I don't know much what is the difference beside the look. I not sure if the blue will be too small, but seem to be a lot people with my height ride a scott xs.
Any advice or suggestion will be appreciate.
Thank you all.
Quote Reply
Re: choice of road bike. [loganvass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone of those bikes in the XS size has a trail of more than 64mm so I wouldn't choose any of them

Bikes I would look at are
Felt F series
Cervelo S series
Specialize Allez or Tarmac or Roubaix
Kestrel Legend or Talon
Quote Reply
Re: choice of road bike. [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
   What you mean XS size has a trail of more than 64mm? is it the size is too small? maybe a small size would be better.
If I look the felt or cervelo, should be 51 or 48cm. I am always confused about sizes.
Thank you so much.
Last edited by: loganvass: Apr 1, 15 7:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many bike manufacturers make great bikes in the medium and large sizes, most however don't do the front end geometry right on their smallest frames. They take the head tube angle and shallow it out and keep the same fork as the larger sizes.

Because of that those bike handle very slowly compared to the bigger brothers (or sisters). What they need to do is change the fork rake on the smaller frame to get the trail measurement within an acceptable handling range. That range should be between ~55 and 60mm. Realistically if you can get under 62mm on a small you're doing good.

Scott and Blue do spec the same fork rake for all of their bikes, there are several companies that spec a different fork rake. I suggested some bikes that do a better job on the front end of their smaller bikes.

I'll find you some links on some definitions for the terms

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ignore the XS/S/M/L "size" of the frame, these designations are largely meaningless. To me, with road bikes seat tube length and stack are less important than effective top tube and reach. It's easy to adjust saddle height, reach is much trickier. I would figure out what effective top tube / stem length combo you need and then start looking at geometry. Trail, seat tube angle and chainstay length are the other most important factors, IMO.
Last edited by: hiro11: Apr 1, 15 10:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what he's saying is that a small bike ought to have a slightly shallower head angle and a fork with more than typical rake, to keep steering geometry good without sacrificing a nice, tight cockpit. look at the Cervelo road bikes in these sizes. that's how to properly make a very small sized road bike with 700c wheels.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: choice of road bike. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
   Thank you for all advices. Now I see how many people open a bike shop out there without no knowledge at all.
It is definitely a lot thing to know in respect to get a perfect bike fit, unfortunately every shop I stop they try push me anything they have on sale.
I will keep my eye open for a 48cm cervelo and a felt f, FC?
Thank again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I own a Felt F5 and like the way it handles, but any of their road bike line has a good front end.

If you find something you like or is on sale let us know and we'll give you an opinion on it's geometry.

Now those Blue and Scott bikes are nice bikes but there are better choices in the small sizes for the same money.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Personally I own a Felt F5 and like the way it handles, but any of their road bike line has a good front end.

If you find something you like or is on sale let us know and we'll give you an opinion on it's geometry.

Now those Blue and Scott bikes are nice bikes but there are better choices in the small sizes for the same money.

jaretj
Thank you very much.
You will be the first to ask too :)
Quote Reply