Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

chasing lance - "the last ride"
Quote | Reply
I posted this on topica - but there are many LA haters/lovers here, so I thought I would share:

in this episode (which is re-airing right now on discoveryHD)...

carmichael shows a chart with lances performance data in it...

I watched it the first time on the tivo, which dumbs down the resoltion
to SD.

tonight I have the HD tv on (which has a freeze frame fuction)...

thanks to HD, I can read all the values and recreate the chart...

all values were on the chart on tv except the power data - this was
back-calculated from kg and w/kg (and added to the display.

It is attached, but for those reading via the web:

http://wattagetraining.com/armstrong.gif

assuming this is not mis-information, perhaps this will be the LAST
conversation about his real numbers...of course, most of these are "out
of competition (feb/march) with the last point at may)...

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Quote Reply
Re: chasing lance - "the last ride" [gregclimbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice job
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great stuff! Interesting to see the body fat is not in the basement... I misread the 8.2 as 3.2, but then looking at the graph realized it really was 8.2... Still, amazing numbers!!

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i saw this on topica, but never did find out how long they were sustained. can you tell us how long these bouts were? i havn't seen the program so i have no clue.
Quote Reply
Re: chasing lance - "the last ride" [Sojourner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]i saw this on topica, but never did find out how long they were sustained. can you tell us how long these bouts were? i havn't seen the program so i have no clue.[/reply]

that isn't specifically stated, however, I would guess based on the implication in the show and from the reading of [i]Lance Armstrong's War[/i] that (unless someone wants to check the UCI calendar for the past couple of years agains the <euro> dates on the plot) that these are Ferrari hillclimb test at ~1 hr power...

hope that helps...

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting... contrary to (I believe) Carmichael's assertion that Lance weighed in the 150-155 pound range, it shows Lance to be between 170-174 pounds.
Quote Reply
Re: chasing lance - "the last ride" [Double-Avocados] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't Carmichaels weight in-season. Given his relatively high fat % and the date (march), I'd say he is probably a fair bit above tour weight. Not sure he is 15-20 lbs above, but perhaps somewhere in there. However, after reading "Lance Armstrong's War," I'm inclined to believe Carmichale and Lance are not much more than business partners. Carmichael was willing to pay Lance for the use of his name and created the global CTS brand out of a relationship that was likely not very significant. I'd say it is the coaching equivalent of Lance riding those rebadged Litespeeds; Carmichael was just a rebadged coach...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: chasing lance - "the last ride" [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
read LAW... lance is a part owner of CTS - and actually almost anything team postal related (except maybe nike?)....

the weight COULD be with bike...UCI limit being ~14.98lbs(?)...

g

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems to show a lack of motivation in the offseason with weight/bodyfat increasing and power (perhaps) down a little. Pretty consistent with what was being put out over the years with his interst in the sport waning and his expressed desire to spend more time with the kids. I'd love to see how the numbers looked in the last week of June each year.

He was a monster in 2001, poor Jan stood no chance.

Keith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People, people, people... please learn how to post pictures ;-)

For those of you tired of cutting and pasting to see what we're talking about here:

Quote Reply
Re: chasing lance - "the last ride" [Double-Avocados] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]People, people, people... please learn how to post pictures ;-)

For those of you tired of cutting and pasting to see what we're talking about here:

[/reply]

some of us just don't want to use IE...

:P

g

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Quote Reply
CARMICHEAL??? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any thoughts on this 'supposed' coach of Lance - Chris Carmicheal? I have a suspicion that he is a 'media' coach, hired to do those interviews and 'appear' to be a direct link to Lance Armstrong. Some of the things he has said seem a bit off key. Like during last year's tour, he talked about transitioning from flatland riding to climbing. He mentioned that Lance has to get used to the slower cadences, like (60-70 rpm's) (I can't remember the exact numbers he used, but they were close this this. Well, has anyone ever seen Lance pedal at 60-70 rpm, even on a climb? How about 70-80 rpm? Or even 80-90? How could Lance's personal coach not even know Lance's pedaling style?

(y foiler)

Last edited by: foil: Nov 7, 05 7:23
Quote Reply