Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

brakes seizing up
Quote | Reply
Was in a crit today and rounding the corner at the top of a short lil and climb my bike just stopped. At first I thought the rear hub may have seized and it took me a little bit to figure out that the front brake completely locked on the rim. How is that possible without touching the brakes? Unfortunately it was with 5 to go so no free lap. Good news is I narrowly missed a nasty crash.
Quote Reply
Re: brakes seizing up [Jason D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you might need new cables.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Second the new brakes... also check and make sure the return springs haven't popped off. Clean and lubricate the works with new cables, and you should be good to go.

I can't imagine that you wouldn't notice, but I have seen people with junky bikes whose rims are so badly warped that they rub severely on the brakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cables...or, did you happen to pop out the return spring?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: brakes seizing up [vic_guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guess it must be the cables - i'll check out under the hoods tomorrow, but the breakes are DA and only a season old

definitely not the rims - Ksyriums in good shape

the thing that still perplexes me is that it happened without touching em....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another possibility is the brake pad surface didn't wear flat. If all of the pad is not is not in contact with the braking surface of the rim, a little step can form on the pad. This step can cause the pad to get hung up on the rim. If the pad doesn't happen to be flat, take a knife and trim off the step and reposition the pad.
Quote Reply
Re: brakes seizing up [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Figure you would say just buy Campy :)

I went out and took a quick look. Return spring is good but it looks like the cable housing somehow popped out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Giro course will do that to a bike. There were quite a few blown tires and crashes in the P/1/2

Increasing awareness for suffers of DGS (Diminished Gluteal Syndrome).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should have blamed Shimano..if your housing "popped out" that would mean to me that the cable stuck in the housing. I would get some quality cables (Campy are better than any Shimano for many reasons)...but dont waste your money on the Nokons and what not. Yes Campy cables will work with Shimano. They are pre-lubed, soldered at the ends, ground to a point, sealed at the caps and very smooth.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: brakes seizing up [UCSD racer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hopefully you stayed upright - who won the P1/2?

we had nasty crash in the 35 123s about half way through just to my right
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think some Monex rider. I'm still in the 3's, but I avoided the small amount of nastiness during my race. Pulled out with three to go after softening up the field for my teammates. Although it was weird spectating the P/1/2 and seeing Wohlberg take himself out by rolling his front tire before turn 1.

Increasing awareness for suffers of DGS (Diminished Gluteal Syndrome).
Quote Reply