Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bike training while traveling
Quote | Reply
I am currently doing the Mid-distance 70.3 program on Trainer Road. Unfortunately, I will be traveling for work next week. I will be able to get a trainer ride in Monday and possibly Friday before/after my trip, but Tues-Thurs I am SOL (and likely Friday as well).

How do you maintain/improve bike fitness while away from your bike? Do you say screw it and focus on running/swimming? Do you do weights? Or are you so committed that you go out and rent a bike?

On that note - how do you do the swims? I am currently planning on bringing a line of elastic rope and swimming in the hotel pool based on time. Has anyone had any luck with that? The last time I tried I found that it took a lot more effort to kick and prevent from being pulled back to the wall.
Quote Reply
Re: bike training while traveling [Apollo526] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't sweat 3 or 4 days. Schitt happens and you need to be flexible in your training.

Run, swim if you can and just roll with it.

In the future, I like to put in a big bike week before I travel. The travel time then basically serves as a recovery week.

If you feel like you need to do something else, see if there is a local club that does drop ins for Spin classes or hit the elliptical.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Firstly, just relax and do what you can. I have done a lot of travelling while training and racing.

Will there be a bike at the hotel? Can you contact someone via local tri club to see if they can take you out for a spin on a loaner? Either way 3-days of not cycling won't do you no harm.

Regarding the tether swimming in a hotel pool I had to do that for a few months one winter and it is a very different feel indeed and much more difficult so you would likely be able to do repeats for 30-60 seconds to keep the muscles active. Don't over do it either. I didn't use elastic rope but just straight rope and used a pulley that was tied to the side of the pool and used bike tubes for ankle grabs with a rope going through the pulley connecting the feet so that I could still kick. Sounds a bit archaic but it worked for me.

I wouldn't do weights if you haven't done it in awhile.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: bike training while traveling [micaza75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone else said, for a few days you'll be fine. For a long trip, see if they have a decent spin bike in the hotel gym and get in a few rides on that. Another option is if a shop in the area has a rental and you can get in a ride somewhere you normally wouldn't be able to. Best way to explore a new area is on two wheels. Unfortunatly it's also the best way to get ran over in a place you're unfamiliar with....

For swimming, bands and light weights with high reps can help keep those muscles in shape but there's really no substitute for time in the water. Find a hotel pool or a local YMCA/High School that has an open swim time.

I'm stuck on a ship right now for 8-9 months so finding creative ways to keep my swim/bike/run where I want it has been interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: bike training while traveling [Cup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I travel every week and its sometimes a bit unpredictable, the key is do what you can when you can. So if your home on Monday, Friday and the weekend then bike then...run your ass off on TM's in hotel while on the road. I am actually finding my best race shape by running 6x, biking 3x, swimming 3x.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got back from a 3 day trip with no option to work out. I feel great! The forced rest was just what I needed.

Triathletes get way to obsessed with the "must . . . work . . . out . . . every . . . . day" mentality. Think in terms of multi week blocks, not days and then you can afford to skip 3 or 4 days now and then in a particular discipline. As long as a 3 or 4 day cycling break is not happening every single week, just work it into your routine and run and/or swim if you can while on the road. Work your butt off on the bike in the week or two leading up to your trip. Then, use the trip as bike recovery time and hit the treadmill or run outside while on the road. Or, if you can't do anything, just work a bit harder before you leave and enjoy the rest/recovery.
Quote Reply