Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bike handling q - deep front, standard rear
Quote | Reply
I have a Zipp 440 front which dates to the early 90's, 56mm carbon rim, 16 bladed spokes, but haven't invested in a deep rear wheel yet (haven't found one in my budget, even on Ebay). To anticipate the Renn suggestion, I don't want a disk because several races on my annual schedule involve both hills and gusty winds. So, question is, how will the handling be affected by running a deep front wheel and a shallow rear - 30mm, 36 spoke, Ritchey Vector Pro, similar to Velocity Deep-V. I read somewhere that with a deep front, the deep rear is needed to balance out the side forces from winds. Anyone have any ideas ?

Obviously I'll ride this setup before racing it, but might not be able to get it wind-tested..

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Re: bike handling q - deep front, standard rear [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a pretty good article on COBBS web site.I think it is called Steering and stability.
Quote Reply
Re: bike handling q - deep front, standard rear [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the url that Cullen suggested. Makes interesting reading. http://www.bicyclesports.com/technical/aerodynamics/steering_stability.html
Quote Reply
Re: bike handling q - deep front, standard rear [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doug I have been unforunate enough to forget a back wheel and raced on zipp front/rear 28spoked mavic rim once. I personally did not notice any adverse handling effects. I would race that way again if I did not have a back wheel. BTW I have Hed Deep rear and I think it's a kick ass wheel. If your only going to buy 1 back wheel the DEEP then a trispoke would be my choices. I don't even touch the hed jet rear anymore unless I'm sticking it on my wife's bike for a race. Good luck finding one.
Quote Reply