Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bike box question
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tom for going through all the steps to pack our bikes for travel. Now which bike box do I use? Travelled recently with my bike in a cardboard bike box and the box was trashed. The bike was ok thank goodness. But since airlines take no responsibility for anything packed in cardboard, I think I need to get a hard sided bike box. But which one is best? I have a smallish (I'm 5' 2") road bike with aero bars. Does it make any difference which kind of bike box I buy?

Serena
Quote Reply
Re: bike box question [serena] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the Performance box, which is about the cheapest one on the market. Never had a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I are traveling to Chicago for a tri this summer and had the same question, but its even more complex because all the airlines coming from Denver have size/weight limitations that no bike box I've found meets. Less than 62 linear inches is free, 62-115 is $80 and anything over 50lbs is an extra $25....so a Tri All 3 Velo 2 (http://www.triall3sports.com/velosafe2.html) already weighs 30lbs plus two bikes (15lbs each if we're lucky) and we're paying $105 each way for bike transport....I don't have Tom's luck for not paying for bikes - I've paid every time I flew.

Chuck in the price of the box and its $600 to transport two bikes to and from the race by plane. THEN you have to add the actual plane tickets and hotel and race entry.....crazy.

Josh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go with Trico

http://store.yahoo.com/.../tricobikecase1.html

The bike techs at several IM races consistantly say this one. Easiest to pack, safest and good price.

They should know, they see boxes from all over the wolrd, and they have to pack and unpack them.
Quote Reply
Re: bike box question [tomd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto on the trico. I like how the foam holds everything in place. Nothing's going to rattle or move. I'm also small and can pack and close it alone. Getting the straps tight can be tricky but you'll figure out a system. I'm usually on top of the box putting my weight on it to close and secure straps and then work on getting them tight by standing it on end and pulling down on the straps. The box is just about bomb proof.
Not sure if this pic will post or the link, but here's a picture of my bike packed in the Ironcase.
http://www.tinypic.com/view/?pic=so4fvk

~~~~
Nancy
~~~~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trico. I've had mine for 15 years, still going strong. The trick is to get everything nicely aligned in the case, then connect all of the straps loosely. Then just start cinching the 3 long straps, finish off with the 4 end straps. Tuck the strap ends back through the buckles (long straps) or under the long straps (end straps). Once you get the hang of it, it only takes 2 minutes to close the case, and no standing on top required.

Nothing will shift anwhere inside the case, thanks to the foam.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: bike box question [Josh_CO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For that kind of money, and all the hassle of the airplane, I'd just drive. Its 16 hours from Denver, if you hustle.

Azby
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on how much you are going to travel, and whether or not you might ship it also.

I have a TriAll3 VeloSafe II. It holds 2 bikes and 1 set of wheels. When I bought it, my sister was racing also, so we saved on bike fees when flying by packing both bikes in one case. It's a great case, strong, with wheels that make it easy to move around. I will put my other luggage on top and wheel the whole shebang around the airport. One downside is that it is a little bulky, which makes it hard to fit into many vehicles. It's easy to pack, and there isn't any 'squishing' like with clamshell cases.

TriAll3 also makes a VeloSafe Compact (formerly UPS Pro). That fits within UPS's Oversized 1 category, which makes it cheaper to ship. Very similar to their other cases, just smaller.

The TriAll3 cases are more expensive, but are very strong and safe. If you think you are going to be travelling with your bike a lot, they are a good investment.
Quote Reply
Re: bike box question [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a little confused about all these cases. The Delta site says that for packages:

Over 80 inches—total of length plus width plus height
not permitted

They are not permitted. EVery biek box I've seen so far is well over 80 inches total dimensions. Does anyone know if this spec on the site is just wrong?

-Andrew Saar
It is better to do the right thing and be paid poorly,
than to do the wrong thing and be rewarded richly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can actually fit 2 bikes and 2 sets of wheels in a Velosafe II if you are careful. It's nice to only have one potential airline bike fee...
Quote Reply
Re: bike box question [FastInAtl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From Northwest's site:

Size of Luggage

Fee (USD) per Piece

62 inches or less

Free

63 - 160 inches

$80.00

Over 160 inches

Not accepted

And the more worriesome:

Bicycles
Northwest accepts non-motorized touring, racing or tandem bicycles as checked luggage only. A bicycle is not included in a customer's free luggage allowance. Northwest only accepts bicycles weighing 100 pounds or less. Bicycles over 100 pounds must be sent air freight.

The following charges apply for transportation (each way) per bike between the US, Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean:
  • 1st Bicycle: $80.00 USD
  • Additional Bicycles: $180.00 USD

Northwest accepts bicycles only if the handlebars are fixed sideways and the pedals removed or if the handlebars and pedals are wrapped with protective packing material. Northwest recommends bicycles be placed in a bike box.

Northwest only accepts tandem bicycles for travel between the US/Canada/Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands. Tandem bikes are only accepted on 747/D10/757 type aircraft.

Northwest does not accept liability for loss, damage, or delay of bicycles. Excess valuation insurance may not be purchased for transport of bicycles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other than knowing we don't have a viable overseas alternative and therefor they can plink us for whatever they can get, I don't understand why bikes are picked out as a separate item from normal oversized bags.

-Andrew Saar
It is better to do the right thing and be paid poorly,
than to do the wrong thing and be rewarded richly.
Quote Reply
Re: bike box question [FastInAtl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thing that always gets me, it to see all of the golf bags coming down the chute. They have to weigh more than a bike, but get to fly for free. I can't remember if they actually fall within the 62 inch rule or not. If they do, I suspect that is where they came up with that number.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sell the Serfas, Trico, TriAll3, and the Velotrunk. By far, the fewest incidents and the best feedback from customers that went with the Velotrunk. I personally prefer it to for the ease of assembly and/or rebuild... you don't remove pedals. AND, he will custom size it for peanuts of a charge. His site is www.Tribasics.com if you want to see them. However, if you need to pinch some pennies and/or don't care if your bike survives the trip, then Serfas/Trico/Performance/etc, they are all practically the same case. ...and yes, they work just fine too. I have seen too many crushed stays to give it as high of marks as the Velotrunk though. Somewhere inbetween the top and bottom is the TriAll3.

Happy traveling.
Quote Reply