Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
best running shoes for Achilles issues?
Quote | Reply
Just getting back on my feet after a partial tear that kept me off the roads for almost 6 months (my last race pre-injury was Boston this year in Newtons, which have now been permanently retired from the rotation...not sure but I think they are just too hard on my Achilles/calves). I know there have been a number of posts on Achilles issues and the benefits of Hokas and the cushioning they provide. I am testing out the Clifton 2s...they feel good so far (I have not gone more than an easy 5 miles at a time yet), but tend to rub on the tendon which leads to soreness. Anyone have luck with any shoes or even ones that may have a cutout or something in the Achilles area?

Background: 47yo, race weight ~175-180lbs (tad heavier now), just coming off partial tear and months of prolotherapy, PRP, EPAT, laser treatment, etc. Hoping to be ready for IM South Africa in April. Any help appreciated.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: best running shoes for Achilles issues? [SteveCoz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveCoz wrote:
Just getting back on my feet after a partial tear that kept me off the roads for almost 6 months (my last race pre-injury was Boston this year in Newtons, which have now been permanently retired from the rotation...not sure but I think they are just too hard on my Achilles/calves). I know there have been a number of posts on Achilles issues and the benefits of Hokas and the cushioning they provide. I am testing out the Clifton 2s...they feel good so far (I have not gone more than an easy 5 miles at a time yet), but tend to rub on the tendon which leads to soreness. Anyone have luck with any shoes or even ones that may have a cutout or something in the Achilles area?

Background: 47yo, race weight ~175-180lbs (tad heavier now), just coming off partial tear and months of prolotherapy, PRP, EPAT, laser treatment, etc. Hoping to be ready for IM South Africa in April. Any help appreciated.

Steve

steve, i too had achilles problems from using newtons. i really liked them, but it's just too much strain on the AT. for me, injury occured while training for boston. had to do a ton of aqua jogging. anyways, i tried out a few shoes (not hokas) and found that mizuno wave riders were the best shoe for me. i've tried shoes with a shorter drop, but immediately feel a slight strain in the ATs.

i'd like to add that i didn't see a mention of eccentric exercises, which could help IF you're able to do that kind of activity at this time.

good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: best running shoes for Achilles issues? [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick response....will check out the wave riders. As to the eccentric heel drops...they are a staple in the rehab program. Doing lots of weighted reps every chance I get. I do think the combination of PRP and EPAT has helped tremendously. I had no progress for about 3 months and since the PRP/EPAT I have been able to get up to slow jogs of around 5 miles starting from zero in the last month. Still a long way to go....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After similar but less severe issues, I also went to higher ramp shoes, which solved issues immediately. A good curve lasted Nike solved all my issues. The move to low ramp is a dangerous move, especially for those of us with years of more "normal" shoes. My first run confirmed my suspicion. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I battled Achilles issues in Newtons too, now I run in Kinvaras. Much cheaper than Newtons, still lightweight, no further Achilles issues. I think almost any regular running shoe would be fine. The differences between most shoes are pretty minor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting here would be to know a little more background:
* how long you have been running?
* what has been your mileage?
* have you changed anything in your training (mileage or intensity)?
* have you switched shoes?
* what drop were the shoes prior to the Newtons?
* did you have a gait analysis done (AT issues can be caused by other problems like pronation)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny, had achilles issues after wearing Newtons too (a recurring theme here) I switched to Brooks Adrenaline GTS and have not looked back. Not as fast of a shoe probably but 0 issues since (2 years)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another former Newton runner with past achilles issues. (to be fair, I can't say 100% it was all on the Newtons.)

I tried hoka's, but those are all very low drop and didn't work for me.

I'm in Niles now, 8-10 mm drop. Coming up on two years without any major flair ups. I don't know that it ever goes away fully, once under control I always have to be mindful of care and maintenance.
Quote Reply
Re: best running shoes for Achilles issues? [Dufflite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tore my achilles a few years ago. Sadly it was up the tendon, not across. Across would mean surgery and a relatively swift resolution, mine required nine months of intensive physiotherapy. I had custom orthotics made by that physic and have had no issues since, They were about $200 per pear, but well worth it. I rotate Sacony 9's and Hoka Ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After years of almost all training and racing in flats I had Achilles injuries (both sides) that took me out of commission for more than a year. I tried all kinds of options and eventually with a lot of rest and rehab I settled on Nike Pegasus which are actually pretty light and have a 13-14 mm drop (depending on the style and year). I have not had any issues since moving to these.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to show it is all individual, I suffered an Achilles injury when I forst got into the sport. Took an entire year off and so improvement. Finally started running in an old beater pair of Nike Free (original generation) and only 1/10th of a mile. SLOWLY increased mileage....when I got to 1.5 miles, I got a pair of Newtons and eventually got up to 8+ miles in them.

So I credit Newtons with getting me back running (although I no longer run in them).

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: best running shoes for Achilles issues? [bozo3000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bozo3000 wrote:
Interesting here would be to know a little more background:
* how long you have been running?
* what has been your mileage?
* have you changed anything in your training (mileage or intensity)?
* have you switched shoes?
* what drop were the shoes prior to the Newtons?
* did you have a gait analysis done (AT issues can be caused by other problems like pronation)

- Been running regularly since lat 2012, when I started training for first IM (now defunct IM NYC)
- Peak weeks generally 50-60 leading up to marathons (3 open in last 3 years) or IMs (3 as well)
- Got hurt right after Boston this year, which I ran in Newtons. Maybe did not recover long enough (7 days no running at all, short, easy runs following week)
- I have rotated a bunch of models (Newtons, Brooks, Asics, Nike Free Run) to avoid getting hurt,...that didn't work out
- Did most of my training leading up to Boston in Brooks, which I liked
- No gait analysis..probably should as I have a history of calf issues always in the same leg as the AT injury
Quote Reply
Re: best running shoes for Achilles issues? [richard0028] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
richard0028 wrote:
Tore my achilles a few years ago. Sadly it was up the tendon, not across. Across would mean surgery and a relatively swift resolution, mine required nine months of intensive physiotherapy. I had custom orthotics made by that physic and have had no issues since, They were about $200 per pear, but well worth it. I rotate Sacony 9's and Hoka Ones.

Mine was longitudinal as well (up the tendon). Thinking maybe one leg is longer than the other or something......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SteveCoz wrote:
richard0028 wrote:

Mine was longitudinal as well (up the tendon). Thinking maybe one leg is longer than the other or something......

Interesting you say that - they checked and apparently that wasn't the case. Was an overuse injury....had been training to race a 10k in less minutes than I was years old and it was clearly too much for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nike Structure for me as they still seem to be around 9mm drop and don't bother me too much..hopefully they continue to stay that drop as I'm not sure what I'll do if they go lower at some future revision..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't necessarily blame the Newtons, but more of the general low heel-toe drop. If someone does not hit the Newton lug in the intended location, it will be a negative drop, and cause Achilles issues for anyone. This is common more-so when people swear that they use Newtons as intended, and still heelstrike. Happens more often than people think.

Other shoes where it can be an issue is the rocker set up on some Hokas (such as the Huaka), and the gel properties of the Asics stability shoes. The reason the Hokas may work for some is because of the inherent stability found with a wider platform and model-specific firmer cushioning (i.e.- the Bondi, not the clifton). The wider platform may slow pronation depending on where it occurs, such as in the midfoot/arch. If the pronation occurs because of ankle dynamics, it often will make it (the Achilles) worse.

A greater heel-toe drop is warranted (at least 8mm or greater) to not allow the Achilles to excessively lengthen. Keep up with your eccentric calf drops well past the point of recovery. The big thing to remember is not increasing the lower leg excursion/overstriding with the greater heel height.

Would suggest getting a no-frills, dual-density midsole, "traditional" mild to moderate pronation shoe. Also, if you're trying to do a mid-foot/forefoot initial footstrike, would suggest rethinking that course of action. There are no real benefits to altering a footstrike because you can't get rid of the impact stress, only displace it to another part of the body.

Good news is that you've got time to get run volume up before IMSA, so don't rush it. Good luck.

http://www.reathcon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always had issues with my calves and Achilles being tight and producing issues. One major issue was Haglund's Deformity (corrected in 1997). Since then I've trained in shoes with a high drop such as Nike Air Max and more recently Saucony Triumph because these fit my foot type better than any other shoe. So I can't really recommend a running shoe fix.

So let throw something different at you. Check your foot angle on the bike. Are you pointing your toes while riding? I was guilty of spending hours on the bike with my toes pointed down and heel high, instead of a flat foot position, and my calves/Achilles were working overtime.

It's something to look at.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like others have said, drop seems to be the key, and the more the better. I've been managing Achilles issues/pain for the last three years and when my Achilles is good and used to the work load, I can do 100 mile weeks. I've all but given up on ever wearing racing flats again. Right now the Mizuno Wave Rider is my "go to" shoe although I'd like to get my Achilles a bit less angry and get back into the Adidas Energy Boosts because those just feel lighter and faster. My issues are tied to Haglunds so one of these days I'll need to break down and get the surgery but right now I am able to manage the pain. Eccentrics actually make things worse for me. One key trigger for me is gaining weight. Even just a few pounds (I'm a chick) and my Achilles really flares up. It also helps it to be warm. It hurts me far less in the summer than in the winter (I live in Minnesota). In the winter I will hang out in the sauna at the gym and then start my runs off fairly quickly so I can really get the blood flowing to that part of my body because if my feet/ankles get cold, I am in big trouble.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SteveCoz wrote:

Steve

I had three achilles injuries and three calf tears. I resisted custom orthotics for the longest time. Finally, wife talked me into it a year ago. Glad I did it. Now I run in a neutral shoe and custom orthotics. It took care of support and the ramp angle. You may want to consider it. It is expensive as I have the prescription type. It will take a bit of search on shoe to find the right choice in terms of flexibility, cushion, ramp angle and weight. Just my 2c.
Quote Reply
Re: best running shoes for Achilles issues? [Rob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rob wrote:
Wouldn't necessarily blame the Newtons, but more of the general low heel-toe drop. If someone does not hit the Newton lug in the intended location, it will be a negative drop, and cause Achilles issues for anyone. This is common more-so when people swear that they use Newtons as intended, and still heelstrike. Happens more often than people think.

Other shoes where it can be an issue is the rocker set up on some Hokas (such as the Huaka), and the gel properties of the Asics stability shoes. The reason the Hokas may work for some is because of the inherent stability found with a wider platform and model-specific firmer cushioning (i.e.- the Bondi, not the clifton). The wider platform may slow pronation depending on where it occurs, such as in the midfoot/arch. If the pronation occurs because of ankle dynamics, it often will make it (the Achilles) worse.

A greater heel-toe drop is warranted (at least 8mm or greater) to not allow the Achilles to excessively lengthen. Keep up with your eccentric calf drops well past the point of recovery. The big thing to remember is not increasing the lower leg excursion/overstriding with the greater heel height.

Would suggest getting a no-frills, dual-density midsole, "traditional" mild to moderate pronation shoe. Also, if you're trying to do a mid-foot/forefoot initial footstrike, would suggest rethinking that course of action. There are no real benefits to altering a footstrike because you can't get rid of the impact stress, only displace it to another part of the body.

Good news is that you've got time to get run volume up before IMSA, so don't rush it. Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback....lots of good info here..really appreciate it. Yes...plenty of time for volume...going all slow and easy for now....no speedwork or hills for a while, lots of foam rolling/heel drops and continuing weekly EPAT treatment for a while. Next week will hopefully be ~20 miles and will follow 10% rule from there
Quote Reply
Re: best running shoes for Achilles issues? [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
I've always had issues with my calves and Achilles being tight and producing issues. One major issue was Haglund's Deformity (corrected in 1997). Since then I've trained in shoes with a high drop such as Nike Air Max and more recently Saucony Triumph because these fit my foot type better than any other shoe. So I can't really recommend a running shoe fix.

So let throw something different at you. Check your foot angle on the bike. Are you pointing your toes while riding? I was guilty of spending hours on the bike with my toes pointed down and heel high, instead of a flat foot position, and my calves/Achilles were working overtime.

It's something to look at.

Good idea.....I sometimes catch myself pointing the toes but have made an effort to correct that and go with a more flattish position...maybe this also helps in a more even effort throughout the pedal stroke as well? ...I have no idea......just guessing.
Quote Reply
Re: best running shoes for Achilles issues? [snotrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snotrocket wrote:
Like others have said, drop seems to be the key, and the more the better. I've been managing Achilles issues/pain for the last three years and when my Achilles is good and used to the work load, I can do 100 mile weeks. I've all but given up on ever wearing racing flats again. Right now the Mizuno Wave Rider is my "go to" shoe although I'd like to get my Achilles a bit less angry and get back into the Adidas Energy Boosts because those just feel lighter and faster. My issues are tied to Haglunds so one of these days I'll need to break down and get the surgery but right now I am able to manage the pain. Eccentrics actually make things worse for me. One key trigger for me is gaining weight. Even just a few pounds (I'm a chick) and my Achilles really flares up. It also helps it to be warm. It hurts me far less in the summer than in the winter (I live in Minnesota). In the winter I will hang out in the sauna at the gym and then start my runs off fairly quickly so I can really get the blood flowing to that part of my body because if my feet/ankles get cold, I am in big trouble.

Thanks..I also have some of that nasty Haglunds deformity working...never really looked into surgery for it but maybe something to consider one of these off seasons. Just an aside and totally off subject...but I have to say that your handle "snotrocket" is awesome...mostly so since you pointed out that you are " a chick"
Quote Reply
Re: best running shoes for Achilles issues? [atasic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-------------------------

I had three achilles injuries and three calf tears. I resisted custom orthotics for the longest time. Finally, wife talked me into it a year ago. Glad I did it. Now I run in a neutral shoe and custom orthotics. It took care of support and the ramp angle. You may want to consider it. It is expensive as I have the prescription type. It will take a bit of search on shoe to find the right choice in terms of flexibility, cushion, ramp angle and weight. Just my 2c.
--------------------------

That is also a good idea...esp since I have a sneaking suspicion that I have one longer leg...maybe that helps as well.
Last edited by: SteveCoz: Nov 4, 15 17:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Having just been diagnosed with Haglands, which explains the soreness in my left heel. I'm after advice on a suitable running shoe with a low back? I currently own a pair of Asics Gel Kayano (not yet worn) and a pair of Brooks Glycerin 12.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget the "windlass" mechanism.
If the big toe is dorsiflexed (bent upward) this tightens the connective tissues of the foot and the long toe flexors. This stiffens the foot, making it more springy and allows the long toe flexors to assist the achilles. It probably shortens the lever arm of the foot a bit, further reducing force on the achilles. So, try running with the big toe pulled up, pushing off of the ball of the foot rather than the toe. Let me know if that helps.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next