Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

article on effects of cycling on running
Quote | Reply
published in the journal of sports science and medicine

Abstract:

The aim of this study was to examine the effects of different pedalling cadences on the performance of a subsequent 10km treadmill run. Eight male triathletes (age 38.9 ± 15.4 years, body mass 72.2 ± 5.2 kg, and stature 176 ± 6 cm; mean ± SD) completed a maximal cycling test, one isolated run (10km), and then three randomly ordered cycle-run sessions (65 minutes cycling + 10km run). During the cycling bout of the cycle-run sessions, subjects cycled at an intensity corresponding to 70% Pmax while maintaining one of three cadences, corresponding to preferred cadence (PC), PC+15% (fast cadence) and PC-15% (slow cadence). Slow, preferred and fast cadences were 71.8 ± 3.0, 84.5 ± 3.6, and 97.3 ± 4.3 rpm, respectively (mean ± SD). Physiological variables measured during the cycle-run and isolated run sessions were VO2, VE, RER, HR, RPE, and blood lactate. Biomechanical variables measured during the cycle-run and isolated run sessions were running velocity, stride length, stride frequency, and hip and knee angles at foot-strike and toe-off. Running performance times were also recorded. A significant effect of prior cycling exercise was found on 10km running time (p = 0.001) without any cadence effect (p = 0.801, ù2 = 0.006) (49:58 ± 8:20, 49:09 ± 8:26, 49:28 ± 8:09, and 44:45 ± 6:27 min·s-1 for the slow, preferred, fast, and isolated run conditions, respectively; mean ± SD). However, during the first 500 m of the run, running velocity was significantly higher after cycling at the preferred and fast cadences than after the slow cadence (p < 0.05). Furthermore, the slow cadence condition was associated with a significantly lower HR (p = 0.012) and VE (p = 0.026) during cycling than in the fast cadence condition. The results confirm the deterioration in running performance completed after the cycling event compared with the isolated run. However, no significant effect of cycling cadence on running performance was observed within the cadence ranges usually used by triathletes.

(my bold)

Tew, Garry A. "THE EFFECT OF CYCLING CADENCE ON SUBSEQUENT 10KM RUNNING PERFORMANCE IN WELL-TRAINED TRIATHLETES" J. Sports Sci & Med. (2005) Vol 4 Issue 3: 342-353

http://www.theninjadon.blogspot.com

"The bicycle riders drank much wine, and were burned and browned by the sun. They did not take the race seriously except among themselves." -- Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises
Quote Reply
Re: article on effects of cycling on running [vidaeboa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a little difficult to interpret for me since it seems like graduate level stuff but I think the relevance of the study is significant.

I've had this lingering notion that running helps your cycling but cycling somehow hurts your running.

Does this seem to suggest the same thing? From what I'm getting here it seems to suggest a cadence in the mid-80's facilitates the optimal transition from cycling to running.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How intense is an effort 70% of Pmax for an hour? I suspect if it is significantly below "race pace" that cadence wouldn't show any effect on running speed. Sixty five minutes probably isn't long enough to really shred those quads either.

SciGuy

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: article on effects of cycling on running [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brief non-graduate translation:

1. Running after cycling is worse than running fresh (mmmmm, interesting .... NOT)

2. Running after cycling is not influenced by the cadence during cycling (mmmm, interesting ... YES; although every purist can come up with additional variables that weren't included; the study shows that in these particular circumstances running performance was not different for low versus normal versus high cycling cadence)
Quote Reply
Re: article on effects of cycling on running [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How intense is an effort 70% of Pmax for an hour? I suspect if it is significantly below "race pace" that cadence wouldn't show any effect on running speed. Sixty five minutes probably isn't long enough to really shred those quads either.

SciGuy
And what the heck is Pmax? Max power? Max sustainable power? Power at V02Max? Most likely it is the max sustainable power, in which case 70% is really, really low (my example would be something like 270W and 190W, which is my power for a century at a reasonably easy pace).

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: article on effects of cycling on running [triborun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suppose this would be in the paper, but I have a basic question.

Is grouped data the way to look at this? Or would paired data be the way to go.

I would have looked at the time deltas or percent deltas between the isolated run vs the experimental condition.
Quote Reply
Re: article on effects of cycling on running [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they used paired data for their significance tests (at least they should have), but used the absolute values for the abstract. If they did use grouped data, then this could be a reason why differences between conditions were not significant.

Edited to add:

I just looked up the original article and it seems that they indeed worked on grouped data. Moreover, they applied a Bonferroni correction which is an overcorrection (although not everybody agrees with that but in this case I certainly believe it is - OT to expand on it). Considering that that a more appropriate data-analysis might show true differences between the cadence conditions, the study does not really convince me at this point.
Last edited by: triborun: Sep 21, 05 6:16
Quote Reply
Re: article on effects of cycling on running [triborun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think they used paired data for their significance tests (at least they should have), but used the absolute values for the abstract. If they did use grouped data, then this could be a reason why differences between conditions were not significant.
Also, did they perform a one-tail or two-tail t-test for significance? I have no idea what I'm saying but it sounds cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. The sample size seams a little small to me.

2. Are these trained cyclists?

3. If you just increase/decrease or cadence in a race without prior training, of course its going to make you tired.

4. Here's what I want. 75 people assigned evenly to 3 groups. Each is assigned to train at a cadence 70, 85, or 100 for 3 months. Then have them do the brick TT and compare the groups. Better yet line them all up for a race. Do XC scoring and may the best cadence win.
Last edited by: ezrahallam: Sep 21, 05 6:31
Quote Reply