Login required to post replies

article on Javelin, and the Arcole
Quote | Reply
Lots of cool pics of one of the fastest frames made today:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...005/features/javelin

Quote Reply
Re: article on Javelin, and the Arcole [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't know Javelin was the brains behind Zero.

Zero wheels are made with HED Carbonlite hoops for the spoked wheels, and the disc is made by Zipp, correct? (If you can say... it seems pretty obvious though...)

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: article on Javelin, and the Arcole [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't believe the wheels are HED made. Not certain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, an 11lb. Amarone or a 12lb. Assisi would sure be nice.
Quote Reply
Re: article on Javelin, and the Arcole [Sojourner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crazy light. You really need only go down to 15 lbs however, with the UCI rules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 50 is. The weight is basically identical. And I recognize the rim profile from my Stingers. Not HED hubs, though. Although the "HED" hubs are made by American Classic for the Stingers... Nothing is made by anybody anymore... Except Zipp... Who seems to make hoops for everyone...

The 38 and 25 match the rim depths of the other Stinger wheels are well...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gary I apologize if I am taking your thread in a different direction here, buy what exactly makes the Reynolds Areo For illegal under the 2007 UCI rules for TTs? Is it just the depth or width of the blade? If so, by how much appox. is it illegal.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: article on Javelin, and the Arcole [The Lemming] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.uci.ch/.../rules_2004/ch01.pdf

page 57

Reynolds Ouzo Aero pro is a 4x1 l/d ratio (from my crude measurements) whereas UCI permits at most 3x1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But is that frame "comfy" for IM distance?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp...at least the last time I picked up a pair.

303/404
Quote Reply
Re: article on Javelin, and the Arcole [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My team is "sponsored" by Javelin, but I'm very hesitant to lay down the cash for a bike I haven't ridden. Urghhh.....

Road frame is pretty much boiler plate for me...but I prefer my tri bike to be sexy smooth rather than bone-ass stiff. (Hed, for example...was simply too painful).

I might just have to take the plunge.

On a side note, I saw TWO DORKS riding in full Team Javelin gear this past weekend at LTF who were NOT riding Javelin bikes!!! Must be nice getting the freebie clothing, but not supporting the folks who gave it to you. Oh well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those Arcoles are expensive, but very nice. Worth it. Every tube has a purpose, designed in the wind tunnel, by John Cobb and Scott Warren.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank You.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really? That doesn't make sense... What Zipp rim is 50mm deep? 303 is 38mm, 404 is 58mm. Plus if you look on the website, it lacks the distinctive Zipp "bulbous" look. Looks like a straight V a la the Stingers...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last time I picked up Zero wheels was IMLP last year. Perhaps things have changed. This was prior to the Stinger mass release. The Zero disc is non-dimpled.....which indicates that Zipp is continuing to OEM product that is different than current production.

Then again...I'm just tossing darts. Now could be totally different.

I do know several companies (i.e. Easton) who buys Zipp OEM, but is going to be building their own carbon rims soon....

The Stingers are a very nice wheel for the price...and I do like Hed's approach and thinking behind their different wheels. (i.e. Don't want a carbon braking surface? then try another model....)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"On a side note, I saw TWO DORKS riding in full Team Javelin gear this past weekend at LTF who were NOT riding Javelin bikes!!!"

Three exclamation marks? I'm doing my first IM this summer and will be on a tribared Lemond Nevada city with Sora gear and will be wearing full javelin tri gear - in both cases because that's all I can afford.

I don't think Javelin ever expected that everyone who received a singlet an pair of shorts would rush out and buy a £x000 frame - I hope what they expect is that the lucky athletes who received the gear would be very grateful, would wear the gear while competing thus giving Javelin free advertising, would send in photos of them competing in Javelin gear for their website and, possibly when they can afford it and it's time for a change remember Javelin's initiative and help and repay the favour by at least checking out their range when making a decision.

Sorry if I've taken this too personally but just my £0.02.

luckyDORK

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aww fiddlesticks.....

I have an Arcole review going up next week...

Typical. A day late.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: article on Javelin, and the Arcole [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No way! Yours is a review, this was just an interview

Looking forward to reading your review Tom.
Quote Reply
Re: article on Javelin, and the Arcole [luckyleese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I don't think Javelin ever expected that everyone who received a singlet an pair of shorts would rush out and buy a £x000 frame - I hope what they expect is that the lucky athletes who received the gear would be very grateful, would wear the gear while competing thus giving Javelin free advertising, would send in photos of them competing in Javelin gear for their website and, possibly when they can afford it and it's time for a change remember Javelin's initiative and help and repay the favour by at least checking out their range when making a decision. "

Exactly.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those Arcoles are expensive, but very nice. Worth it. Every tube has a purpose

They look nice, but I've been wondering what the purpose of that top tube is. (I'm sure it has one, I just don't know what.) Anyone?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Gary, nice article.

I wasn't familiar with Zero components, but it looks like they have that 11-27 a lot of folks seem to be looking for http://www.zerocomponents.com/cassettes.html.
Quote Reply
Re: article on Javelin, and the Arcole [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"They look nice, but I've been wondering what the purpose of that top tube is."

I guess the best person to answer is JC or Scott, however the tube does increase stifness and surface area, which is a good thing.
Quote Reply