Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

aerobic vs anearobic
Quote | Reply
i've been doing all aerobic training the last 3 months in preparation for markallenonline next year. after averaging 135 for the first 6 miles on the treadmill this afternoon i said screw it and ran the last two miles hard. maxed out at 179 and it could not have felt better. unfortunately, that was a mile and a half slower pace where i would typically see 179. i am 33 by the way. just thought i would throw that out there.

john
Quote Reply
Re: aerobic vs anearobic [b192jkn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maxed out at 179 and it could not have felt better
--
you didn't max out then.
==

your reduced top speed after 3 months of LSD training isn't all that surprising to me. How many weekly hours have you been putting in?

Josef
-------
blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bum
Quote Reply
Re: aerobic vs anearobic [sig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bum

Okay, enough with the name callin', dammit! We've had enough sleaze today...

;-)
Quote Reply
Re: aerobic vs anearobic [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
supposed to be bump. Trying to get Heavy D off the first page but it didn't work. Sorry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whas it the same treadmill? They are notoriously badly calibrated for speed. You would be better off checking speed on an track or consistent outside course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heart rate is highly variable. I have run half-marathons and 8Ks at the same heart rate. My last half-marathon I averaged 181 or so beats per minute, but was a consistent 183 from mile 4-11. Once in an 8K cross-country race I averaged 190, but it was a terrible race for me. Heart rate is a very useful tool, but you have to use it selectively.

An example--I have found in most races lasting about 2:30 that I can sustain a heart rate of about 170, so last year at Powerman Alabama I ran about 170 for the first 8K and rode 165-170 for the first 30K of the bike. At that point I felt tremendous and realized I was having one of those good days that come along now and then. I hammered the last 20K of the bike and ran a very fast second run. My second run split was much higher than my overall placing, leading me to believe I left way too much out on the bike course. Sometimes you have to ignore heart rate, just go hard and hope you don't blow. The more important the race, the more you have to take chances because there is no worse feeling than "I think I could have..." Sometimes you will come up short, but better to try and fail than leave yourself wondering "what if.."

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: aerobic vs anearobic [JoB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am well aware that 179 is not my max.

10+/- hrs a week. all treadmill for running and about half in and half out for bike
Quote Reply
Re: aerobic vs anearobic [flying wombat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flying wombat-unfortunately it was the same treadmill.

cdw-i agree fully. with markallenonline all training is heart rate based. i'll check into what they say about those days when you're just feeling it.

thanks
Quote Reply