Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

advice / encouragement
Quote | Reply
I want to get back to it, for both my mental and physical well-being. I was side-lined by injury and life. I've been drinking too much, eating average to poorly, and I am now 20 pounds heavier (and flabby) and really discouraged. I need to get a routine going and build up my strength and endurance. My husband and kids are (very!) supportive. I work a lot but have a good deal of flexibility. Things should be lined up for me, yet I just can't get myself on track. Anyone make a come-back like this? Have words of wisdom or encouragement?
Quote Reply
Re: advice / encouragement [littlenorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just start. If you have flexibility, I think in some ways it makes it worse because you can always defer things saying Oh I'll have time later too. Set aside the time in your calendar - make an appointment with yourself, and just go and move. It could be as simple as going for a walk with your morning coffee instead of sitting and doom scrolling (this is the change I implemented this summer).

Keep us updated on how you get on.
Quote Reply
Re: advice / encouragement [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you regarding having too much flexibility.

I am in the same boat. Fat, out of shape and trying to find my motivation, so I totally get where you OP are coming from. I have been telling myself just to get out of the bed and do some thing. It doesn’t matter what just some sort of exercise first thing in the morning. And then I think it will flow from there once a routine is established.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like others said - just start - a ten min walk is a great start.

If you can't get yourself out the door, tell yourself you will walk (or run or bike or whatever) for 10 min and if at the ten min mark you want to be done, you can be done, and if you want to go more, do more. You have to follow through with this - if at 10 min you want to be done, then be done and don't force yourself to do more.

Can you just sign up for a 5k that is really soon and run/walk it? Would that be likely to cause injury, even if it were mostly walk?

I start a weekly thread for goals and stuff - hop on there and tell us your goal is 10 min of exercise a day this week, or whatever. You can update daily. We used to have a lot more participation on those threads, so I've kept them going even with small participation... mostly because it helps me.

Let us know what you did today :-)

encouragement: it's going to feel good and make you feel good!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: advice / encouragement [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

encouragement: it's going to feel good and make you feel good!

This reminds me of one of the things I have seen in recent years that I use to get myself going. Roughly: You don't have to feel good to get started, but you have to get started to have a chance at feeling good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep it simple.

Walk out the door.

The rest will follow.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how are you doing?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was slow to seeing this thread, but rooting for you!!

From what you wrote, seems like you identified what you want - a new routine. I agree with the other posters, a 10 min walk is a fantastic way to start. Can you calendar this walk / activity? I feel like when I have a flexible work schedule, I put things off...and off...and off... over the course of the day and then I realize that family commitments have now come between me and something I wanted to do.

When I'm going out for this kind of soul-filling movement, I love throwing a podcast in my headphones. Not necessarily a training- or triathlon-related one, one that feels conversational. It helps me pretend that I'm out with someone and not just by myself.

Something I've found too is that the after-work drink is often part of our routine, too. I was recently wine tasting (lol) but came across a group doing a non-alcoholic tasting with mixers etc. They were shockingly great. Maybe that can be one other adjustment to your routine?

One thing at a time, once something is part of your routine you can target another :)

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It has long been a goal of mine to complete a Full Ironman the year I turn 50. As this approaches I am looking at Sacramento for a number of reasons. Has anyone participated at this location? It is close enough for my family to come and support and the time of year is perfect for me to train mostly outdoors. I have done a half and felt really good after. I am looking at 2025 Ironman Sacramento. I've been on the official Ironman website and read about the race course, but hearing it from past participants is always a plus. Any info on this local would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Quote Reply