Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Professional Bikefit
Quote | Reply
What decides the setting of the bars and saddle for
a road race bike? Why is there such a difference
from the setting used during the fifties and sixties.
Quote Reply
Re: Professional Bikefit [perfection] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saddle height is determined from the length of your legs which bars are determined from torso, arm length and flexibility.

I don't know about the fifties and sixties but I sure could use a fortie right about now.

Greatness

"The One"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are two predominant attributes that determine the optimal orientation of saddle and handlebar position:

1. Rider dimensions.

2. Rider preference.

Bike positions go through an on-going evolution brought about by increased athlete perfromances and changes in technology.

In the past decade the emphasis on bike fit and the development of advanced technology to measure power output, heart rate, muscle accuation (such as the guys at Wobble-Naught are doing) and other performance paramiters have enable a more detailed analysis of the cycling posture and fit. This has resulted in enormous advances in a short period of time.

As a partial result of positional changes, along with many, many other factors the level of performance of the current era cyclist compared to the cyclist of even a decade ago is dramatically different.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The documents here provide some good information:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/...FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

Keep in mind that these guys are concerned with road bike fit, not tri bike fit, although I can see parallels between their competitive fit and good tt position.

Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a good read for the basics.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/BikeFit/
Quote Reply
Re: Professional Bikefit [Greatness] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greatness wrote:
Saddle height is determined from the length of your legs which bars are determined from torso, arm length and flexibility.

I don't know about the fifties and sixties but I sure could use a fortie right about now.

here is good book to understand how fit works, what it is and what it is not.

http://www.amazon.com/Bike-Fit-Optimise-performance-avoidance/dp/1408190303

In this age people still belive there is perfect one number for all applications... Something like universal bike or universal car or universal glue.
Quote Reply
Re: Professional Bikefit [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I owe you a beer. You have brought back the most dormant post I've ever seen. Almost 11.5 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Professional Bikefit [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, there is something about the new forum architecture, and the way posts are sorted in search, that unearths old threads.

but it does bring me back to how this has changed in the 12 years since this thread was posted to.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Professional Bikefit [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
but it does bring me back to how this has changed in the 12 years since this thread was posted to.

Thems fancy fit bikes are a fad that's gonna go away. All I need is my plumb bob.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply