Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Low Sugar/High Carb Nutrition Recos Needed
Quote | Reply
I have a friend that suffers from hypoglycemia that is asking me for suggestions for alternatives to high sugar energy bars and drinks. Can anyone make a reco?
Last edited by: jameshinton: Jan 16, 07 12:59
Quote Reply
Re: Low Sugar/High Carb Nutrition Recos Needed [jameshinton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I have a friend that suffers from hypoglycemia that is asking me for suggestions for alternatives to high sugar energy bars and drinks. Can anyone make a reco?"

If it's real hypoglycemia, this will help... if he/she 'just thinks' it is, they will help also.

1) Eat every 3 hrs without fail: small meals which are commissurate (sp) with his/her fitness goals (losing weight,maintaining weight, or gaining weight... and/or athletic goals)

2) Eat carb/pro/fat in every meal, even if the meals are small. For example, chicken on a small salad with olive oil has all three. The calories will be approx 200-400 cals per meal (depending on #1).

3) Do not eat high sugar foods or drinks alone: always add protein or fat with these, or don't eat them at all. (Seriously, Do not ever rely on high sugar energy bars or sugar drinks.) If this person is an endurance athlete, please have him/her check with a qualified coach/nutritionist/doctor re: sports drinks and gels for a true medical condition.

These tips will help understand somewhat. Make sure your friend does his/her own research as to the body's biochemical and physiological needs for food, the role of insulin in the body, and how to improve insulin and food-sugars in the bloodstream. Each person needs to understand his/her own body, and not just ask a friend to ask a forum (sorry). Also, there are two types of hypoglycemia: one regarding not eating, and one regarding how one responds with certain foods.

I don't mean to be flippant... hypoglycemia can get pretty difficult if one is not attentive. Also, make sure it's truly hypoglycemia and not some other issue or habit.

Hope this helps.

Lauren

-------------------------

Lauren Muney
certified physical fitness trainer
certified health coach
wellcoach
http://www.physicalmind.com

There is no escape from your life... solve the problems and get on with it.

"Just tell her you love her and you think she kicks ass" ~AndrewinNH

"I'm moving [Lauren] to guru status" ~Last Tri in 83
Quote Reply