Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

LOOK Ergostem
Quote | Reply
I'm really interested in that LOOK ergo stem for my TRI bike. My idea is to keep it comfortable during training, then drop it down on race-day. Anyone using one and love it? Hate it?
Quote Reply
Re: LOOK Ergostem [sdantzler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have it and have enjoyed the flexibility it provides in getting my position where I want it, but I don't move it around like you're suggesting. I've not weighed it, but if you're counting the grams I'm sure it's heavier than a traditional stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry dude, this is a terrible idea.

1. The ergo stem is not the most secure way to do what you're talking about.
2. Training the way you race is the only way to get through race day without screwing yourself over.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm really interested in that LOOK ergo stem for my TRI bike. My idea is to keep it comfortable during training, then drop it down on race-day. Anyone using one and love it? Hate it?

I have one on my track bike and it works well, though it probably weighs a kilo... :p

As for your idea, don't do it.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: LOOK Ergostem [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, if you cant train with a low stem dont race with it. I think it would be better to work on back/neck flexibility or whatever the problem seems to be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one and used it all of last season and loved it (before I got a bike this year that just has a shorter head tube).

If you get one of these, put it in the position that gives you the kind of drop that you want to race with, and then train with it there so that your body can get used to that position - that is what training is for. If you do what you suggest - "keep it comfortable for training, and then drop it down for race day," then as you might expect, you will be uncomfrotable on race day, and then it will be pretty difficult to have a good run if your lower back and neck are screaming at you when you get off your bike. From my experiences of adjusting to more arm rest drop, you could maybe get away with that for a sprint - but any race w/ a 40k bike or longer, and this would be asking for a bad day...
Quote Reply