Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Knee pain after race -help!
Quote | Reply
First oly of the season today - and I had a great race, paced myself well and am very happy with the result (well, I didn't quite break the 2 hour mark :( ).

Anyway, my knees are damaged. The run was on very tough ground and it was tough on the legs: grassy, lumpy, no proper trail, real cross-country stuff.

My knees are now sore on the lower outside part (below the kneecap), and are swollen there too. On my right one, I have a bruise (from the stress, not anything else) too, which can't be good.

What way can I optimise recovery, as I am racing again soon?

Apart from RICE, obviously!
Quote Reply
Re: Knee pain after race -help! [NM_123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
get an MRI.
Quote Reply
Re: Knee pain after race -help! [gimili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An MRI? That's sound extreme - it's just a mild strain at worst. A little inflamed but I can walk on it. It only hurts if there is any twisting motion under force on the knee.

Would self-massage help?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry, might be something lost in the translation, I'm an australian, we don't complain about knee pain unless we can't walk, just figured you were in that boat and the mri would tell all. If not quite there yet, see a physio.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

tough it out....it just happenened.

Quote Reply
Re: Knee pain after race -help! [IRONLOBO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well peeps, I'm looking for ways to promote recovery and optimise my performance - acting macho in spite of pain isn't one of my goals in tri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK. both of my knees were inflamed about 3 weeks ago from overuse. My intensity and duration with higher than normal and I did a couple of off road running races for train (rough terrain) I thought it was patellar tendenitis (based on some research on the web). I saw an athletic trainer at a sport rehab and they ruled that out. They suggested that I take Ibuprophin (spelling??) for 5 days ice 2x's/day and alternate days. run, a day off my legs, bike, a day off my legs, run and so on. I swam on the days in between. Within two weeks I was back to doing innervals and long and hard bike rides. I am still doing the every other day on my legs for a couple of my weeks, but my knees are much better.

Hopes this hopes.

Let me know if you have questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could be a lot of different stuff. I'd ice and rest for a few days, and see a good sports physio. Don't macho it out too much... MRI is way too extreme unless a doc is pretty sure you've torn something major.

Good luck!!
Quote Reply
Re: Knee pain after race -help! [Ti_Knee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the responses.

Trifil - I don't think mine is as bad as yours, though the inflammation is still bad. And I can't take the anti-inflammatories due to asthma medication. But I am still icing it plenty, and walking is okay. I'll see the physio tomorrow.

Ti_knee - Agreed, there are no prizes for acting tough. I have a race this weekend, hence my interest in recovering fast. I'll go for a recovery ride today, and an easy run tomorrow, and then I'll know more. Strangely, I think the main problem is the flexing of the knee if I cycle, so it may be my cycling that suffers more than my running, even though it was caused by running!
Quote Reply