Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Louisville Questions
Quote | Reply
For those who haveseen the course, i have a few questions:
Does anyone know the current water temp at Ironman Louisville? Is it a choppy swim? Slow with the current?
Does the bike course have a ton of turns like the original AZ and CDA? Is it like IMOO?
Which wheelset is recommended and tire width?
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville Questions [TDOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
For those who haveseen the course, i have a few questions:
Does anyone know the current water temp at Ironman Louisville? Is it a choppy swim? Slow with the current?
Does the bike course have a ton of turns like the original AZ and CDA? Is it like IMOO?
Which wheelset is recommended and tire width?
Thank you![/reply]

(1) Temp varies, but avg of 68 degrees F
(2) Choppy on some days, smooth on others; current also varies
(3)Not too many turns
(4)Go for a disk in the back, and deep rim in the front, unless it's very windy.

By the way, I have never seen the course, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Water temp I have no idea - varies a lot depending upon rain runoff near the time of the race. Yes, you will swim against some current for part of it (the U.S. Army Corp of engineers can and are supposed to damn the river for the race, but some current will still be there).

Bike course is flat for the first and last 10 miles, then rolling hills for most of the rest, similar to IM Moo. No long climbs like Placid, but I used all my gears and was shifting a LOT when I rode the course. I would definitely not call this a "fast" course, especially with the almost sure hot and humid weather.

Run is pretty flat and straightforward through lots of neighborhoods and finishes in a really cool partially enclosed city environment called 4th Street Live! Complete with lots of bars, restaurants, etc. Even a Hard Rock Cafe with giant guitar. Should be a great finish for sure.

Re: Ironman Louisville Questions [aerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I doubt if the water will be 68 degrees in Louisville in August

(2) Choppy on some days, smooth on others; current also varies

I doubt if the current varies much in the Ohio River. There will be current.

(3)Not too many turns

What's too many/not too many over the course of 112 miles?

(4)Go for a disk in the back, and deep rim in the front, unless it's very windy.

I'd say this is sound if you're an FOP rider or a MOP who aspires to be an FOP. But the course has some hills and lesser riders may prefer something more suited to the hills and a longer day in the saddle.

Bob C.

The "science" on any matter can never be settled until every possible variable is taken into account.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville Questions [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I doubt if the water will be 68 degrees in Louisville in August

I did a Google search a while back about the historical temperatures of the river in Louisville. At the end of August the water temperature was almost always 77-79 degrees. I am bringing a wetsuit but I figure it will all depend on who is taking the temperature of the water, how deep they place the thermometer, and whether or not they are standing in the water taking a leak at the time they measure.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Louisville Questions [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking they will find 77 degrees somewhere. River looked like it was at pool stage on Sat. A bunch did a river swim last Sat maybe they will chime in.

Not much of a data point but I've ridden the loop muliple times now and find my race bike with H3's consistently quicker than my training bike with a 32 spoke mavic and ultgera hubs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hosted a supported swim of the course on July 4th. Our boat depth/temp gauge said the water was 82. The sensor is about three feet down under the boat.

We had 18 folks swim what will roughly be the course. We stayed out of the commercial channel and swam up and back just to the left of the channel makers, going up stream. We are in drought conditions so the river has had little current, this summer. The day we swam a good southwest breeze was building, so we had a decent chop. Running the boats home, we had white caps, and small waves.

River conditions can range from glass smooth, to 3 foot waves. Typical conditions for Louisville in August are smooth water, not much wind here in the summer. Having grown up boating on the river, I say race day the river should be fine. In late summer to early fall the only thing that can cause the river to rise and flow fast is a hurricane. If a hurricane comes inland from North Carolina, to the upper east coast, it can fill the river up fast.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cuurent temp but I don't know where any of these palces are but I'm guessing finding a 78 degree water temp might be hard. Train for non wetsuit and maybe we will get lucky and they find a cool spot.

...RIVERS AND RESERVOIRS...

LOCATION FS POOL/ 24-HR TAIL- 24-HR WATER
STAGE CHANGE WATER CHANGE TEMP
OHIO RIVER...
PITTSBURGH 25 16.70 0.00
PARKERSBURG 36 22.00 0.10
HUNTINGTON 50 25.80 -0.30
ASHLAND 51
GREENUP LOCK 12.60 -0.10 13.00 -2.80 80
PORTSMOUTH 14.78 -1.84
MAYSVILLE 50 34.26 0.08
MELDAHL LOCK 51 12.70 -0.80 13.60 -1.00 78