Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IronCowboyman 100/100 DONE (last day run in 5:05)
Quote | Reply
Looks like James the Ironcowboy is down to his final two days of draft legal pool swimming with wetsuit, pack 180km riding and covering a full marathon on foot. It seems he found a safe groove for him that was repeatable daily. If possible it would be nice if this thread can focus on the athletic part.
  • I know some of you did the ST 100/100 running challenge and getting to 100 runs of 30 minutes felt like a decent athletic accomplishment.
  • Only a few of us on here have done 3.8km swims daily for 100 days. That in itself, even in a draft is hard enough (even with a wetsuit).
  • Sitting on the bike daily even deep in a pack for 5.5 - 6.5 hrs is not nothing and repeating it on the same loop for 100 days must be mentally taxing, not just for him but his friends who are coming out and putting their nose in the wind too.
  • Finally imagine hiking a marathon a day for a week. This guy has been hike-shuffling-jogging 4200km over these 100 days. The most I ever ran in my life was 100 miles in a week just to say I did it (never again)
  • I am not sure exactly when he eats and sleeps. He barely has 7 hrs after "today" to be back in the pool tomorrow. How does he even get his metabolism wound down to sleep on time

Anyway, some of us were wondering if he goes for a fast 140.6 on his final day 100, or a victory lap? What are your predicitons. For those of us who have done stage racing or even long training camps, what are your thoughts on his ability to get to the start line daily.

I don't want to jinx him on day 99 and 100, so I will just say congrats for finding a repeatable cadence that works to get to the daily start line. I think for those of us trying to do decent volume, the number one challenge is making a repeatable system in our lives.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jun 8, 21 16:58
Quote Reply
Re: It's down to day 99 and 100 at the IronCowboyman 100/100 (day 100 predictions) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be interesting if he recovered for a week or so and then really went for it on just one day to see what he could do.
Quote Reply
Re: It's down to day 99 and 100 at the IronCowboyman 100/100 (day 100 predictions) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The speculation from some here on ST about just how fast James could go or if he will try to "race" the 100th day illustrates the massive divide between the ST mindset and what guys like James are all about. I don't even have to ask James to know that he just doesn't care about times and will spend his last day in celebration mode. It is exactly what I, and I imagine most would do in his situation.

It has been an epic display of pure will and prop's to him.
Quote Reply
Re: It's down to day 99 and 100 at the IronCowboyman 100/100 (day 100 predictions) [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
The speculation from some here on ST about just how fast James could go or if he will try to "race" the 100th day illustrates the massive divide between the ST mindset and what guys like James are all about. I don't even have to ask James to know that he just doesn't care about times and will spend his last day in celebration mode. It is exactly what I, and I imagine most would do in his situation.

It has been an epic display of pure will and prop's to him.

Yesterday, when he got off of the bike, he said he was "sick" and not feeling well. He continued the march for the marathon and finished his normal time. It's hot these last few days. Today will be 92 and hot. Tomorrow will be a little more pleasant (85*).

--Sorry my celsius friends as I can't quickly convert. 92 is hot, especially when you're not feeling well to begin with.
Quote Reply
Re: It's down to day 99 and 100 at the IronCowboyman 100/100 (day 100 predictions) [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's too bad his day 100 is not on a weekend as it would be a full blown TDF peloton and a 200 person marathon trek celebration with partying and champagne. It's actually interesting that IC has more in common on day 100 with the Tour de France procession into Paris than STers chasing Kona slots. Even the TDF pros have 'had enough' and just want to get around the Arc de Triomophe and the Louvre and wave at fans at the place de la Concorde. If there was no sprinter win to fight for they would all just keep the parade going right to the line.
Quote Reply
Re: It's down to day 99 and 100 at the IronCowboyman 100/100 (day 100 predictions) [CanUsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a 35C day (95F) run yesterday and was moving as slow as molasses. I recall a run in Taipei in almost 40C and more humidity than a Turkish bath.....I went to a track and the faster I ran, the cooler it got....up to a point at which I had to slow down to let me heart rate drop, but then with no airflow the radiator was just going thru the roof. Anyway, ended up at a local hill and spent an hour doing repeats....moderately fast uphill, walk and run fast downhill at low heart rate to cool off before next uphill. The slower you go the worse the heat gets from the airflow angle. Ideally you want a super high threshold to move fast at low heart rate like Patrick Lange. Its a virtuous cycle running fast at low heart rate in heat. Running/hiking slow (also at low heart rate) does not get you the same cooling effect. Its gonna be tough for him, but best of luck. He will get done for sure even if he needs 24 hours and walks straight into the day 100 pool start. On that note I wonder if he sleeps in for day 100 since he does not need to recover for day 101....or will he show up for the day 101 swim to loosen out?
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jun 7, 21 6:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think he just keeps the rhythm and celebrates afterwards. That would be my choice. I would stick to the routine, afraid something might keep me from finishing. Then celebrate by a quick bite and sleeping wherever I could lay down safely.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can he find a charity that isn't full of problems?

On the actual physical endurance bit. I'm pretty impressed with his durability with the on foot portion. Clearly was well prepared for this, which is not how 50/50 went. I can't wait for Slowtwitch to make the next documentary like last time.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: It's down to day 99 and 100 at the IronCowboyman 100/100 (day 100 predictions) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Goodness there is another thread on this
Quote Reply
Re: It's down to day 99 and 100 at the IronCowboyman 100/100 (day 100 predictions) [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
48.5/50/50 was harder in many ways with the travel. 100/100 he had a fixed route. But on 48.5/50/50 he was also 6 years younger. That is a huge delta in terms of recovery. There is a reason older athletes are slower than younger ones at every race distance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The mental toughness needed to get out of bed and head for that pool every morning is beyond my comprehension. Triple T wrecked me..........This is amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still don't know how he gets out of this without permanent damage to his body on some level.

It will be interesting to see how his body reacts when the stress finally lets up in the next week or two.
That's when people tend to get super sick and injured.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hats off, it's an endeavor I'd never want to even consider. A bigger mental accomplishment than physical one imo (and I mean that as a compliment and not a backhanded one) although certainly putting in the total mileage is no easy thing. Just going 100 days in a row without an accident / major issue is something to be happy with

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: It's down to day 99 and 100 at the IronCowboyman 100/100 (day 100 predictions) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just speechless. This guy shows us what we, as a human can do. Just mind boggling and hats off to him. Hopefully, he will finish it with no problem.
Quote Reply
Re: It's down to day 99 and 100 at the IronCowboyman 100/100 (day 100 predictions) [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: It's down to day 99 and 100 at the IronCowboyman 100/100 (day 100 predictions) [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
I still don't know how he gets out of this without permanent damage to his body on some level.

It will be interesting to see how his body reacts when the stress finally lets up in the next week or two.
That's when people tend to get super sick and injured.

It would seem that he would need to ramp back down from 16 hrs per day down to 12 hrs to 8 hrs to 4 hrs to 2 hrs to 1 hrs so his body and immune system can gradually adjust from this 100 days of overdrive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think he takes a victory lap on day 100. Hope he is going to have some medical checks afterwards, especially cardiac tests. Some studies have been showing heart damage caused by endurance training and this 100 day challenge resembles a ‘lab rat experiment’ where you overdose the subject to amplify the effects!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a damn hard undertaking. Honestly I know there is zero percent chance I could do it. Haters can hate, but I can't do it or anything near it.

Seeing a recovery week or so then an real effort would be interesting for all of the hyper-polarized training believers out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark this down now! I bet he does 101 and does not stop at 100.

His victory lap will be a completed full one the next day.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” - Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hats off to him, the physical/mental strain of doing 15+ hours per day of exercise for 100 consecutive days must be incredible. I’m sure there were mornings when he contemplated saying screw it when the alarm went off yet rolled out of bed and went to the pool anyway, or if he was in a rough patch during the bike or run/walk when he thought he might break, but managed to keep going.

Like others, I’m curious to see how his responds physically when this is done and what potential long term impacts he may have.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Last edited by: Brian in MA: Jun 7, 21 18:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't believe he is going to do it! I wonder what kind of benefits he (could) reap if he takes the time to absorb all that volume and recover from it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm thoroughly impressed. When I did my first IM, I took a 6 month break. This guy takes a 6 hour break and does it again 99 more times. I think a lot of it is mental, so I'm gonna go for the "excitement of finishing the entirety and finishes faster than his average - but probably not his best time" type of finish.
Quote Reply
Re: It's down to day 99 and 100 at the IronCowboyman 100/100 (day 100 predictions) [Trinot2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trinot2 wrote:
Mark this down now! I bet he does 101 and does not stop at 100.

His victory lap will be a completed full one the next day.

He may want to go to the start line of 101 in Zombie mode, but the support crew may just want to lock him up minimally so he gets no crazy ideas!!! They gotta need a break. I know IC gets the glory, but the support cast is doing the gig daily too.
Quote Reply
Re: It's down to day 99 and 100 at the IronCowboyman 100/100 (day 100 predictions) [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would just like to be able to give up sugar for 100 days.
Quote Reply
Re: It's down to day 99 and 100 at the IronCowboyman 100/100 (day 100 predictions) [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
I can't believe he is going to do it! I wonder what kind of benefits he (could) reap if he takes the time to absorb all that volume and recover from it.
i cant imagine theres gonna be ANY benefit. hes beaten his body so badly im more inclined to believe hes gonna have irreparable long term damage, hopefully extremely minor... i just cant imagine hes gonna get out of it unscathed. sure, its all low intensity stuff hes been doing, but still... sweet lord...

when he finishes tomorrow im donating 100 to his charity. the guy did it so im def gonna support his cause.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply

Prev Next