Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMWI vs IM Coeur d'Alene vs Texas
Quote | Reply
Can someone who has raced all 3 of these please compare. I am thinking about Coeur d'Alene or Texas for next year and have only done one IM and that is IMWI.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI vs IM Coeur d'Alene vs Texas [EVORacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not done Texas - but am probably signing up for it today :)

IMCDA vs. Wisconsin. I would say that the run courses are fairly similar. Mostly flat to slightly rolling, with a big ass hill on each lap. Observatory is harder than the hill at IMCDA, but you have to run up both sides of the hill at IMCdA.

The bike course at IMCDA is a lot smoother ride. Generally speaking the road conditions are much better, and are more conducive to riding in a rhythm - not at all punchy like IMWI.

The swim - nice and cold at CDA as opposed to being on the warm side at WI.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's Bestbikesplit.com if you want to compare the difficulty of the courses themselves.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Either CDA or Texas is an easier bike course than WI (IMO). Swim at Texas normally nonwetsuit (but miracles have happened), CDA will definitely be wetsuit legal. Run courses at CDA/WI are similar to each other in difficulty but WI is more lively, CDA more scenic by the lake. Texas is three looper that isn't bad, it just isn't CDA or running through Badger stadium/campus. Texas and CDA both have great finish areas with many options for food/hanging out, etc.

CDA is a gorgeous place - worth it to race there at some point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't raced any of those three but I did sign up for CDA 2015 and have been looking for a place to stay. Compared to the three IM venues I have raced in, the accomodations costs seem a little high...you may want to take a look at the options in Texas before committing to one or the other.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI vs IM Coeur d'Alene vs Texas [chbelair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out LIberty Lake.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI vs IM Coeur d'Alene vs Texas [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I decided for IMCDA. Can anyone who has did IMWI and IMCDA tell me how their bike and runs times compared at each. Are the elevations on the website correct?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 2013 I rode 7 minutes faster at IMCDA, and ran 4 minutes slower at IMWI.

No clue about the elevation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I think IMWI is a much harder bike course than IMCdA. Probably more climbing total in IMCdA, but the road surfaces are smoother and the climbs are sustained rather than rolling. Much easier to get into a groove with fewer turns and longer ascents and descents. I felt about the same on the run. Running in the stadium was a nice touch at WI. The scenery and fan support seemed much better at CdA. Similar to the bike, there is a lot of climbing but they are sustained rather than rollers. Easier to keep your cadence the same and just punch it up the one major climb on both laps than having to constantly hit the little hills at WI. My bike times were pretty similar between the two. My run time was quite a bit faster in CdA, but I don't think the course played much of a role in that...

Both races had great volunteers and a pretty good environment. Swim at WI was much calmer and warmer if that plays any role.

Just my two cents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done CDA and WI. Will be doing WI again in 2015. Have not done TX

Swim -

CDA has new smart start with walking entry, two loops where you exit water and cross timing mat.

WI has mass start, in water, one loop.

Effort wise I think they are similar.

Bike -

CDA is two 56 mile loops. The thing that is great is virtually no turns. There are a few as you go through town, but once you get out of town you are straight all the way. Two big hills on each loop....so you go up, then get to go down. Can be kind of lonely when you are out on HWY 95. CDA is a fast as I have ever gone on a bike, 46 MPH.

WI has the approx 16 miles out and two loops around lollipop. Lots of turning, have to pay attention to surroundings. Lots of rolling hills. Crazy crowds out on the course keep you motivated.

Effort wise, WI I think is harder, mentally you have to always be thinking about your next up/down and turn and what gear you want to be in...WI is also physically harder.

Run -

CDA is two loop course. Great running both through town and along Lake CDA. Mentally ok good support, at the turn around you run past the finish and can hear it, but not see it. (see comment below on WI and why this is relevant)

WI is also two loop course. Great running down State Street, UW Campus, Camp Randall, State Capital. Mentally ok good support, at the turn around they literally take you 30 yards from the finish and turn you around for another 13.1. If you are having a hard day, this is mentally tough....but doesn't take long to have the folks in Madison encourage you.

Transition / Volunteers -

CDA is in Park, really compact, not alot of long transition running. Plenty of room for bikes, not crammed in....bike transition is on grass.

WI is in convension center. Have run up the Helix and then bike down the Helix. Bikes are on concrete, plenty of room, not crammed in.....because transition Because you transition in convention center less sand on feet, which is a plus.

Hotels -

CDA - Right in CDA is expensive, you can drive 30 minutes toward Spokane and get pretty cheap rates.

WI - More expensive in Madison and Madison will make you stay three nights.....not a big deal if you are coming from far away....but I live only an hour away and would really like to stay just one or two nights.

Both great races, I'd do either one if given opportunity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can't really compare CDA or WI to Texas. I have done 2 of the 3..
TX - Swim is warm water, no waves, usually very calm in this man made lake. DARK murky waters, but doesn't really bother most native texans like me.
Bike - not florida flat, but not a single hill that requires out of the saddle climbing. You have some headwind on the backside of the course for about the last 60 miles. Depending upon our speed, it can get really hot later in the day.
Run - pancake flat, mostly concrete, great crowd support on about 1/2 the course - 3 loops.
If you don't mind heat, TX is a tough course to beat. It's a nice bike course through a forest, smooth pavement on most of it. The heat is the difficult part for many in TX.

CDA - the guy above my post did a great recap. Only thing I would add about CDA is the swim is potentially VERY choppy and windy and COLD. The bike course can be CRAZY windy like last year when I saw 2 people literally get blown over on the bike. That was the worst wind I have ever ridden in and it totally ate my lunch. I think everyone sacrificed at least 1 hour b/c of the wind - very honest guess there. One guy I talked to went ~9:30 in Kona 2013 with the winds. He went 11:20 in CDA 2014. It was a very tough day for those of us racing CDA in 2014.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did CDA in 2013, WI in 2014; both under nearly ideal weather conditions. Personally, believe CDA bike and run to be a bit easier than WI. WI bike course is much more technical and undulating, and the roads are generally crap. I also thought the run was quite a bit more difficult due to not be able to get into a real rhythym with all of the turn-arounds. I want to believe I could have biked 5-10 minutes faster and ran 5-8 minutes faster at CDA than WI.
Last edited by: markwhickman: Mar 4, 15 16:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done all 3. CDA x2 (3rd in '15), TX x2 and WI X1. Other than they are the same distance and its a long day no real comparison. If your not from the South or want to do your training runs and rides wearing a plastic suit might want to rethink TX. WI was a great course I thought, only area I didn't like much was it seemed like 1/2 the run was on camber, not good on the knees and ankles. Love CDA, was my 2nd on the old course and 9th on the new course and was on my birthday! Horrible weather the first time and spectacular weather the 2nd. The swim will be better this time due to the rolling start, it was a slugfest in the past. I like the old bike vs. The new one. Get your long hills in training. There are a few 1-2 mile hills... Run is fair other than the silly hill right at the end of the out and back, but if you are strong you will crush people right there on both trips... See you in CDA'15, good Luck
Quote Reply