Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMLP STers
Quote | Reply
What race do you do in prep for IMLP?

I plan to do Mooseman on June 3, and maybe a fun sprint tri on June 17 (at the end of a recovery week). Will I screw up my IM with a sprint tri 5 weeks before LP?
Last edited by: IMV: Mar 22, 07 18:32
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP STers [IMV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am doing the Florida Half and West Virgina Olympic Plus one in June if I can find one, I am looking for suggestion something local <3 hrs from Philly. There are also some classic philly running races going on so I will do those (Penn Relays 20K, Broad Street Run etc)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 thinking of doing Tupper Lake Tinman. haven't registered yet though.

Quote | Reply
I'm probably crazy, but American TTT and Muskoka. :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rockman!

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
American TTT and wildflower.

A sprint 5 weeks out sounds like fun break from all the long slow stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm only doing Triple-T mostly because it looks fun and it's a good way to get in some solid miles. I'm curious to see how quickly I can recover from each race.

I thought about doing a 1/2 IM in June, but it just didn't jive well with my training schedule. I'd rather do the long rides that I have scheduled than a 1/2 IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What race do you do in prep for IMLP?

I plan to do Mooseman on June 3, and maybe a fun sprint tri on June 17 (at the end of a recovery week). Will I screw up my IM with a sprint tri 5 weeks before LP?

I'll be at Mooseman as well, perfect LP prep race. A sprint on June 17 shouldn't be a problem at all. In fact, it's probably the perfect time to throw a little speed work in.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Count me in for Mooseman as well....
I'll have the NJ Half marathon, Mooseman, and maybe a sprint but i doubt it. I'll have to see what the coach says.
See you all at Mooseman

"Pace is just a matter of having enough RedBull..." -Rappstar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Muskoka long course
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NJ half marathon
Eagleman
3 sprints from early may through early july.

p
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a sprint the 3rd weekend of June last year before LP, and not only was it my best sprint finish ever but it was a total blast. I think it was a great way to blow off some steam for an hour on a Saturday afternoon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing Mooseman as well.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: IMLP STers [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Rockman!
I'll second the Rockman. Perfect timing and great location.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP STers [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rockman for me too...

Spot

Quote | Reply
the first time I did IMLP I did mooseman, great prep. This year I am doing the New CGI 1/2 iron race in the poconos called Black Bear on June 3rd. It has some hills and should be pretty well run.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll give a shout-out to my local race, the EnduraSport Harriman HIM.

I dunno why anybody doing LP wouldn't wanna do this race. Similar (hilly) bike course, very scenic, NO drafting, and a challenging run course. Gives you a good sense of what you might be able to do at LP.
From the n=1 department, this worked great for me last year.

For anybody not named Dev, I would think twice, or thrice, or fifty-seven times about doing Tupper Lake pre IMLP. It's only 3 weeks prior. I doubt that anybody's coach would suggest that as being a good idea for them.

<< Will I screw up my IM with a sprint tri 5 weeks before LP? >>

Depends. Not the race itself, but the other training (that probably would have been much more IM-specific) that you therefore will not be doing by virtue of doing that sprint.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am doing Tupper Lake and thinking about doing the shorter distance Harryman. Maybe a local sprint in May.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WHY ARE TRIATHLETES SO FRIGGIN SCARED OF RACING ??????

Sorry for shouting, but we see posts like this all the time...people wondering if they will wreck their race by doing another race XX weeks out. In every other sport, people race all the time...swimming, biking, running, mtb, XC ski. In a lot of these sports guys race pretty well every weekend or sometimes multiple times a week (granted they won't do that for running).

The best way to get good at RACING is to RACE!!! You can't get good at racing in th comfort of training. Racing introduces a whole new set of variable that you cannot simulate in training (and if you do, its crazy, because then you fall into the training hero category, burning up the racing legs when you don't even get credit....)

Seriously, a sprint 5 weeks out will NOT hurt your Ironman. If anything it will take you out of the monotony of grinding out endless miles plugging along. Bottom line is if you want to do an Ironman fast, then you need to do fast stuff, not just endless miles....look at Gina Kehr (does fast stuff) or Macca and Lisa Bentley (always racing year round) for example.

Please people, don't be scared of racing. If you are prepared properly for your Ironman, a race a few weeks out won't hurt...if anything it will force some rest and put you into a micro taper and add some much needed speedwork.

I'll be doing Wildflower, ING Ottawa Half Marathon, Muskoka Long Course and Peterborough Half Ironman (similar program to last year before LP). Basically one weekend I do long mileage and the other weekend I race. I realize that I take it up a notch compared to most people, but there is not reason for not racing every 3-4 weeks leading up to your A race.

....and the best thing is that IF your Ironman does not meet your expectations, all that training is not wasted...you will have had many postive races in the leadup. I also find that many put way too much emphasis on Ironman. There is a world of racing outside Mdot out there to experience. You might actually enjoy really RACING a shorter race vs shuffling/walking through an Ironman!
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP STers [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
... and maybe if you didn't race so much and so hard prior to an IM, you'd have better IM run splits?

Oh damn, did I say that in my "out loud voice"?

Sorry. That's gonna leave a mark ;-)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: IMLP STers [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This Rant Brought to you by Active.com. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lastyear I did Muskoka (to qualify for LP) and as a good tune up in mid June then did the Peterborough sprint (750m-20k-5k) two weeks out to get in a speed workout. I usually race a lot better if I've had more races than this prior to my A race but the climate here and my daughter's swim meet schedule meant that I could only get in 2 last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 2 1/2 Marys on April.15 & May.27 here in Ottawa.
Then I will either do a Olympic Tri + 5K the same day (team relay) or 500m swim + 5K (part of two team) on June.17 here in Ottawa.
I do not plan on doing other races... since I want to focus on my training (would rather ride for 6/7 hours than do an HIM + travelling even if local, etc.) and also I do not want to waste to much time travelling to other places...
I will also go once, maybe two times, to LP to train on the course...

Fred.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing the Endurasport 1/2 at Harriman. Looks like the perfect pre-LP course and good timing as well (just before the build-up for LP).

I'll also be racing the Philly oly which is only 4 weeks out from LP. It's my hometown race and I've yet to finish it as a tri (mechanical DNF year 1 and changed to a du last year) so I feel obligated to race it. I don't plan to be "fresh" for it as I'll probably ride 100 the day before, but I still think it will be fun to try to go fast once before LP.
Quote Reply

Prev Next