Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMFL weather update.
Quote | Reply
 Nov 1 High: 77°F RealFeel®: 75°F Mostly sunny and nice Winds: N at 8mph Wind Gusts: 15 mph Max UV Index: Moderate (5) Thunderstorm Probability: 3% Amount of Precipitation: 0.00in
Hours of Daylight: 11 Hrs Night Low: 53°F RealFeel®: 47°F Mainly clear
Last edited by: imsparticus: Oct 27, 08 4:57
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL weather update. [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing wrong with a little breeze, It'll be a perfect day othwise..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like ideal conditions.

Note that it can be very cool in the morning until the sun is fully up. The first hour or so on the bike can feel a lot colder than it really is. Make sure that you are ready for this with the proper gear - arm-warmers, gloves, maybe a wind vest etc . .

Also, the sun sets really early and the temp consequently drops off fairly quickly - those running and finishing in the dark, and their will be many, may need an extra layer if you are going to be out there a long time or doing a lot of walking. Best strategy with this is to put a long sleeve top in your Special Needs bag.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL weather update. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tips, Steve. I need all of the help/advice I can get!
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL weather update. [squesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The sand is cold in the morning waiting for the swim to go off. If you can get a pair of flip flops you can part with right before the start if you do not have someone who could take them from you before the start.

A beach cam is here it is about 500 yards from the swim start, if you hit refresh it will show a fairly current pic. At just past 7 am am the gulf has a little chop but I would take it on race day!

http://www.beachview.com/PC%20beach%20hirez.htm

Peace,
RF
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL weather update. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tough choices.

At race start, the water temp is going to be much higher than the air temp. The swim will feel great! That chop on the webcam is a bit heavy..as those cameras tend to make it look mild.

Bike. I figure the temp will be right around 60 at swim exit. The folks jumping on the bike wet are going to be a bit chilly. A 5:1X bike split should have the temp around 70 upon dismount...but that's (IMO) rather chilly for triathletes. I might opt for a full change to dry gear and full zip bike jersey w/gloves

Run. Really good! Not too hot...not too cold.

I tend to not drink much when it's cooler, so that will be top of mind.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL weather update. [rockfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard someone say wear old, warm socks to the beach for the start.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL weather update. [Diesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looks like probably closer to mid 50s at t1. typical for imf (except for the colder temps in '06). i've found that arm warmers and full gloves for the first 20mi or so works pretty good. by then the sun is coming up and taking the chill off things.

Quote Reply
Re: IMFL weather update. [rockfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone happen to know the gulf H2O temp?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks great! Have fun out there. I'm a little jealous.

----------
Fortitudine Vincimus
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL weather update. [squesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Currently in the low 70s and will probably drop a couple more degrees between now and race day (it's getting chilly at night)

For NWS product, go to:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mob/marine.shtml

And scroll down to 'Surf Zone Forecast' PCB reports come from the NWS Tallahassee office.

One surfing forecast site says it's looking like less than one foot waves and a 10-15 mph breeze along the coast on race day.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL weather update. [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like an OK forecast but swim might be very choppy and run can be hot between 2-5 pm.

--------------------------------------------------------
I see obsessed people.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL weather update. [doubleplay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day Night

Sunny High
73°F

Precip
0%
Wind: NNE 7 mph Max. Humidity: 57% UV Index: 6 High Sunrise: 6:58 AM CT Avg. High: 75°F Record High: 85°F (1974)

Clear Overnight Low
51°F

Precip
0%
Wind: NNE 4 mph Max. Humidity: 64% Sunset: 5:56 PM CT Avg. Low: 50°F Record Low: 29°F (1993)

I couldn't be much better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The gulf is getting calmer as well after this week-ends swells:

http://www.beachview.com/PC%20beach%20hirez.htm

Let's hope they get the forecast right! I still wish it was slightly warmer but all in all a good day based on the forecast. (knocking on wood)

Peace,
RF
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck to all!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If was a brisk but not too breezy 57F when I was out getting lunch not too long ago. Wonder if I'm going to have to dig out a long sleeve shirt for my after work run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forecast here is for snow! Dig out a warm shirt ... more like dig out my parka to get to the airport! For those of us travelling to FL, it will feel warmer by comparison to the fall weather we are used to. Thanks for the local updates! They are much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good point above about the sunset.
sunset is at 5:13 and there is very little moon. part of the run is through neighborhoods with no street lights. be prepared to run in the dark - and maybe cold.
good luck

Quote | Reply
Yep......the sand is cold....

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be glad you aren't racing on Wednesday morning. It's gonna feel like a January day out there.

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TALLAHASSEE FL
651 PM EDT TUE OCT 28 2008

...FREEZE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR LATE TONIGHT AND EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING FOR SOUTHEAST ALABAMA...SOUTHWEST AND SOUTH CENTRAL GEORGIA...AND THE FLORIDA BIG BEND AND PANHANDLE AWAY FROM THE COAST...

...FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FOR THE FLORIDA COASTAL AREAS...

.A COLD DOME OF HIGH PRESSURE WILL SETTLE ACROSS THE REGION
TONIGHT...ALONG WITH CALM WINDS AND CLEAR SKIES. THIS WILL ALLOW STRONG COOLING TO OCCUR AND TEMPERATURES WILL DROP TO FREEZING AFTER 2 AM EDT IN THE NORMALLY COLDER INLAND LOCATIONS AND CONTINUE TO AROUND 8 AM EDT WEDNESDAY MORNING. ALTHOUGH COASTAL TEMPERATURES WILL LIKELY REMAIN ABOVE FREEZING...WIDESPREAD AREAS OF FROST WILL LIKELY FORM THERE.

ALZ065>069-FLZ007>019-026>029-034-GAZ120>131-142>148-155>161-
291200-
/O.CON.KTAE.FZ.W.0004.081029T0600Z-081029T1200Z/
COFFEE-DALE-HENRY-GENEVA-HOUSTON-INLAND WALTON-COASTAL WALTON-HOLMES-WASHINGTON-JACKSON-BAY-CALHOUN-GULF-FRANKLIN-GADSDEN-LEON- JEFFERSON-MADISON-LIBERTY-WAKULLA-TAYLOR-LAFAYETTE-DIXIE-QUITMAN-CLAY-RANDOLPH-TERRELL-DOUGHERTY-LEE-WORTH-TURNER-TIFT-BEN HILL-IRWIN-EARLY-MILLER-BAKER-MITCHELL-COLQUITT-COOK-BERRIEN-SEMINOLE-DECATUR-GRADY-THOMAS-BROOKS-LOWNDES-LANIER-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ENTERPRISE...OZARK...FORT RUCKER...
DALEVILLE...HEADLAND...ABBEVILLE...GENEVA...HARTFORD...SAMSON...
SLOCOMB...MALVERN...TAYLOR...ASHFORD...KINSEY...COWARTS...WEBB...
COTTONWOOD...REHOBETH...DE FUNIAK SPRINGS...INWOOD...HUDSON...
BONIFAY...CRYSTAL LAKE...CHIPLEY...FIVE POINTS...MARIANNA...
GRACEVILLE...MALONE...SNEADS...PANAMA CITY...CALLAWAY...
LYNN HAVEN...UPPER GRAND LAGOON...BLOUNTSTOWN...WHITE CITY...PORT ST. JOE...WEWAHITCHKA...APALACHICOLA...CARRABELLE...QUINCY...
CHATTAHOOCHEE...TALLAHASSEE...SPRING HILL...MONTICELLO...
MADISON...GREENVILLE...SWEETWATER...SOPCHOPPY...ST. MARKS...
PERRY...MIDWAY...MAYO...CROSS CITY...GEORGETOWN...FORT GAINES...CUTHBERT...SHELLMAN...ARLINGTON...MORGAN...EDISON...LEARY...
DAWSON...ALBANY...LEESBURG...SMITHVILLE...SYLVESTER...ASHBURN...
TIFTON...FITZGERALD...OCILLA...DOUGLASVILLE...BLAKELY...
COLQUITT...NEWTON...CAMILLA...PELHAM...MOULTRIE...ADEL...SPARKS...
NASHVILLE...DONALSONVILLE...BAINBRIDGE...CAIRO...THOMASVILLE...
QUITMAN...VALDOSTA...LAKELAND
651 PM EDT TUE OCT 28 2008 /551 PM CDT TUE OCT 28 2008/

...FREEZE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM EDT /1 AM CDT/ TO 8 AM EDT /7 AM CDT/ WEDNESDAY...

...FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM EDT /1 AM CDT/ TO 8 AM EDT /7 AM CDT/ WEDNESDAY FOR THE FLORIDA COASTAL AREAS ...

TEMPERATURES WILL DROP NEAR FREEZING BEFORE DAWN WEDNESDAY...MAINLY IN THE NORMALLY COLDER LOCATIONS AWAY FROM THE COAST AND THE CITIES. THE DURATION OF FREEZING TEMPERATURES WILL BE A FEW HOURS OR LESS...SO THIS WILL MAINLY BE A THREAT TO TENDER VEGETATION. ALONG THE COAST...FREEZING TEMPERATURES ARE NOT EXPECTED...HOWEVER AREAS OF FROST SHOULD OCCUR.

A FREEZE WARNING MEANS SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES ARE IMMINENT OR HIGHLY LIKELY. THESE CONDITIONS MAY KILL CROPS AND OTHER SENSITIVE VEGETATION.

A FROST ADVISORY MEANS THAT FROST IS POSSIBLE. SENSITIVE OUTDOOR PLANTS MAY BE KILLED IF LEFT UNCOVERED.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
checked surfline looks like just wind swell so no worries there at all. plan on wind, there is always wind

2010: RR 100, BW, qualify for Kona at coz!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's freaking cold here (PCB) tonight. Although I'd buck up and do it, I'm sure glad that we're not racing tomorrow...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I volunteered last year, perfect weather conditions. I was certain this year would be ugly, for now looks like I'm wrong - a good thing.

-------------------------------------------
Visit my triathlon page http://pkingtriathlon.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL weather update. [agegrouper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also volunteered last year. Racing this year. (My first IM).
I'm loving this forcast.
Quote Reply

Prev Next