Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

#1 on the bike
Quote | Reply
Ok, this has been discussed before, but I just wanna hear some 'fresh' opinions that you guys have about taking a leak on the bike. You know, making the constellation Urine...dropping a whiz kid....letting loose a one?

I'm doing IMFL and I don't want to stop, but am disgusted at the thought of going all over myself. For those of you (like Sergio, and Francois) who compete at the top...what do you do? For those who just go all over themselves (don't be shy!) can you give me the lowdown? Is this not as bad as I think?

Or should I just shuddup and stop at the porta-potty?

And for the record, I do pee in my wetsuit...but that's different...right?
Quote Reply
Re: #1 on the bike [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing wrong with peeing on your bike. Just wait for someone to draft off of you and then let er rip! With any luck, your stream will fly off your rear wheel and cover your slip stream.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm interested to here these responses as well. I sort of peed off the side of the bike in my first half iron in september. but I felt like I had to make sure that no one would catch up to me while I was doing it so I would either let someone pass me or try to pull way ahead. One time a car started coming from the other direction so I had to cut it a bit short!

I am thinking that one could be fined for public indecency with this method.

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't stop, if you are riding with traffic, on the right, drop your right foot down to 6 o'clock, stand up with most of your weight on that foot, keep your left hand on the bars, pull it out with your right hand, turn your body slightly towards the side of the road and let it fly. I got lazy at IMLP and just pretended I was wearing wetsuit, big mistake, it runs down your legs and into your shoes, shoes will never smell the same again, I was planning on getting new ones soon after the race anyway, but man, that was the worst smell ever. Good luck.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was all prepared to do #1 on the bike at CdA. I even practiced a few times on my long rides. But while I was riding I noticed they had volunteers at each of the porta potties on the bike course. I rode up to the outhouse, they held my bike while I ran in and handed to me when I got out. It isn't any easier or quicker going while riding than that! Plus I was fresh for the rest of the ride and none of my water bottle were worse for the wear.

Bob
Quote Reply
Re: #1 on the bike [rover] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I concur...there is a tree at IMLP who knows me well...growing quite tall it is....

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: #1 on the bike [rover] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The ride-n-pee is all mental. Ever since we were children, we were taught to not wizz ourselves, and now, as full grown adults, we are asking ourselves to negate decades of practice. It's really hard. Some guys have it down mentally and can ride side saddle, whip it out, and go. I tried that, but I was afraid I would get arrested cause there's a line between where public urination becomes public nudity for having it out for so long.

I think what you really need to do, is prepare yourself for it. Know that there is a point where you are uncomfortable, and then that there is a second point where you REALLY have to go. You know that point- where you can swear you can taste it. That is when you go. Don't waste time trying to go at the "uncomfortable" point because that alone ain't going to cut it going 20mph and trying to pedal.

Think waterfalls, tricking water, whatever. Since I just wiz sitting in the saddle, not doing any heroics like the side saddle move, there are some things to keep in mind:

1) Your tri-suit is usually a swimsuit, so getting it wet is not a big deal.

2) Yeah, you shoes will get wet, but are your feet ever dry coming from the swim? Also not a big deal. Do recommend rinsing them in the lake right away as opposed to packing urine soaked shoes away for 36 hours inside your bag. I like to rinse them out again at home and point a fan at them while I am sleeping.

3) If you have a downtube or seat tube water bottle, you will probably end up pissing on it. Move it, toss it, or rinse with the other bottle afterwards.

4) Same if you have gels on your top tube. You might piss on those too. Plan ahead.

5) Someone will probably pass you while you are wizzing and you will probably pass someone who is suddenly leaking alot of fluid from their cycling shoes as you pedal past them. It's like taking a crap in the stalls at work. No words.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait 'til you hit a nice long downhill section. Lift your butt off the seat and let it rip right through your shorts. You are going 30+ mph so most of it won't run into your shoes. Sure, those shoes may smell somewhat like a urine soaked coach at a frat house and you'll have to store them in a hermetically sealed bag for the ride home. Face the fact that you are a triathlete. You are kind of aroma challenged by default because you are covered in sweat, drool, and snot. So what’s the issue with a little pee? ;^) I was able to eliminate the smell (on a few occasions) by placing the shoes and their inserts in front of the dehumidifier in my basement. After a week or so, the stink was gone.

Bottom line: you trained long and hard for your event. If time or place is what you are after AND how you ultimately measure your success, do you want to add the time taken for a pit stop into the mix?
Quote Reply
Re: #1 on the bike [Stick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate the advice, but there are 2 issues. The first is that I will be biking in bike shorts/bib (so can't just let Wally hang by pulling down tri-shorts) and the second is that there are no downhill sections on the IMFL course.

I think i'll just pull over and let loose on the side of the road. Can you be penalized for causing an auto accident?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go on a downhill. The speeds are higher, so more will get blown off the back and less will end up in your shoes. You also don't need to pedal as much on a downhill, so you can coast without worrying about really losing speed. It isn't so bad. It is harder than you might think, though, because you have been sitting on that area for a long time (usually) by the time you need to pee. So sometimes it can be tough to get it going... I've always needed to stand up (to relieve pressure from that area), and even then it is not super-easy to get it started.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shit..! lemme know what number u are so that i'll stay as far the fuck away from u on the bike. I wouldn't want any of that pee flying off the back of your wheel like a rooster tail.

Personally, i'd stop, cause i sure as hell am not fast enough to make it to the top half of the standings and i wouldn't have to stress out about getting penalized by the refs or getting complaints by other racers. Plus, i plan to keep my shoes for a while longer..

Paul..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bibs, tri-shorts, doesn't matter. Since it's flat at IMFL, speed up when there is no one around (good luck) and unclick your right shoe. Lift up your shorts from the leg hole, whip it out on the side, and try not to get any on your shoe. When you finish, squirt your leg with your water bottle to clean. I've done this, it works, and the women who pass me think it's hilarious and probably sexist at the same time. Hilarious because it looks very funny, and sexist because she can't do it.

----------
Fortitudine Vincimus
Quote Reply
Re: #1 on the bike [trinitythlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do I keep Wally from getting caught in my spokes?

I've decided, i'm just gonna stop. I spent a lot of the ride alone last year (my way of protesting the drafting) but with the huge # of racers this year that may be tough. If I am alone, I will try your technique, and practice on my ride Wednesday!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this year I perfected the run and pee yourself. It took a few races but I can do it no problem. At the next aid station I always ask for TWO waters! The first time, my wife went to grab my racing flats after the race and I had to warn her!

coming from 15+ years of bike racing, peeing on the bike is cake!

Kurt

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is all mental. Just stop thinking about it and do it. You will save a lot of time for sure:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 50 and I refuse to be incontinent voluntarily so close to the time when I won't have a choice about it.
Quote Reply
Re: #1 on the bike [LittleRingMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, i'm 28 but my Dad says that there are 3 rules when you turn 50: Never waste an opportunity to take a piss, never waste a boner, and never trust a fart.

I'll be stopping to pee...I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's "Never waste an erection even if alone..."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just pee. Everyone has already pissed in their wetsuit by the time they are on the bike so what's a little more. Wait for a downslope, stand up, if you don't have a behind the seat bottle holder you can even slide your rear back a bit. Most of it blows behind you anyway. Next aid station, get fresh water and squirt it all over yourself; you'll dry off in minutes and won't know the difference.

Heck, by the end of an IM, after swimming, pissing, sweating, spitting, bleeding, vomiting, blowing snot and spilling gatorade your clothes are in big need of being washed several times or being burned anyway. I probably peed 5 or 6 times just on the bike leg in my one IM race and if I stopped everytime it would have had a very negative impact on my time; which was slow enough as it was. It's hard to get yourself to pee the first time on the bike, but once you've done it once it's a piece of cake.

Now running is another story, I know people that can pee when running, but I'll take the outhouse then.
Quote Reply