Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zwift Hardware Question
Quote | Reply
Hi Peeps,

Brainstorming my next winter here in NJ. Thinking about purchasing a smart trainer. I have a MacBook Pro with this graphics card:

AMD Radeon HD6750M 512. A fairly common card on MBPs. Is this card sufficient??

Thanks Much!
G
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Hardware Question [apache] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a mid 2014 MBP, it works just fine running Zwift on medium. Used it from Beta testing till last fall. I still use it if traveling. I did built a dedicated PC last fall and mostly run Zwift off of that. Running Zwift really works the laptop to the point where it was hotter than I would like. At the time, the PC version also had better game play options, auto update, race entry set up, ect. which didn't happen on the MAC version. I would only realize I need to update when I went in to the game and didn't find anyone. Not sure of the latest version as I had not updated the MAC until last week. Maybe auto update works now, not really sure.

Main reasons I don't run on MBP now:

- Heat
- less wire mess on the desk I built
- less wire mess running my 24" monitor
- can do other things on the MBP will still watching Zwift
- PC version is more refined.
- lack of auto update
- Installed monitor in front of treadmill, which would not have worked with MBP because it is an old analog monitor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not have a look for yourself? You can do this without a trainer.

Install Zwift and boot it up, then (at the screen where you pair to your devices) click "Just Watch" and follow someone else on screen. That should give you an idea of the graphics performance. Try to find a person in a bunch to watch, as more riders on screen will affect the performance.

Mess with the graphics options (click "Back to Me" then "Menu"), and there is also a simple hack you can do to a config file to display the framerate on screen.

FWIW my wife's Macbook Air (2014/15?) did fine (once blowing off Bluetooth and using an ANT+ dongle that is).
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Hardware Question [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Switching gears here: Doing some more research, I've learned the AppleTV (4th gen) is an option. Anybody doing this? If so, can you describe the performance?

Thanks Again!
G
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wife is using an Apple TV (4K) now. It works well, graphics are tuned down a bit compared to a computer but still perfectly adequate (eg shadow effects). I’m sure you can see examples on YouTube.

You will need Bluetooth connections to it of course (eg heart rate, cadence)
Last edited by: MattyK: Jul 9, 18 2:46
Quote Reply