Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Zwift - how long did it take to enjoy it
Quote | Reply
I've used TrainerRoad for years and would likely continue with it but I do see the benefits of Zwift especially for racing friends in a different location. I've tried Zwift a few times but do not really enjoy the experience. Wondering if anyone has had the same experience but stuck with Zwift and now enjoys it and how long did it take?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift - how long did it take to enjoy it [goodie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I enjoyed it immediately

TR is great for workouts but boring. Zwift is more interactive and the racing is a lot of fun. To each their own though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my case, I loved it from the first ride. I used to absolutely hate using a trainer, and even with videos or music about all I could tolerate was about 20 minutes. My first ride on Zwift was about an hour...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
goodie wrote:
I've used TrainerRoad for years and would likely continue with it but I do see the benefits of Zwift especially for racing friends in a different location. I've tried Zwift a few times but do not really enjoy the experience. Wondering if anyone has had the same experience but stuck with Zwift and now enjoys it and how long did it take?

I'm like you, loved TR (Sufferfest even more). I tried Zwift many times and just can't make myself like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Liked it from day1, but it did get a bit tired to ride solo. These days I'm on it for group rides: races, fono-esque rides (ex. Tour of Watopia), and Pace Partners.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
goodie wrote:

Should be immediate that you find that you like it. It's not for everyone, and even for myself, after gushing about Zwift in my early honeymoon phase where I could see it replacing my entire outdoor bike regimen (the races! the routes! the convenience!) I got a more balanced take on it after several months and now see that things like Trainerroad (I actually use TrainerDay to get my Trainingpeaks workouts) are different and better in some ways and worse in others. For sure, if you're into structured training, Zwift may not be the best way to go - you can absolutely do structured workouts on Zwift, but if they're ones from your own training plan, all the graphics, course selection, etc., just gets in the way of what should be a straightforward interval workout. It's a lot easier and less distracting to pop on Trainerroad and take care of business than try to get that workout fitting into Zwift, with all the courses and competing offerings.

The best things for me on Zwift were absolutely the big mega group ride/races. Like the ones that are special events (Tour de Zwift) where typically 500-2000 riders will show up to ride a route at the same time. Those were great - got into small pelotons and worked the course with them, trying not to get dropped. Helped me ride harder than I ever would indoors (that's also not clearly a good thing on training plans, unfortunately!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zwift is great for racing, rouvy for solo rides
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really depends how you use it. Getting route badges, new kits, etc can be fun for a lot of people. The same can be said for doing the challenging climbs, races, group rides, pace partners.

I enjoy all that but the team time trials races and team races is what I enjoy the most.
I am also part of a large team and every morning a few of us join discord and talk while riding. This is great, sometimes 1-2 hours go by like it is nothing.
Having a good set up can be helpful too

Tiago
---------------------
Sponsors: : Blueseventy :
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It took me several attempts to like it. For some reason, I thought you had to "race" to use Zwift and I never enjoyed the racing. However, I tried it again about 3.5 years ago and simply focused on group rides and then pace partner rides when those came out. I've loved it ever since. The few times I've done the races (even while on the ST team), it just wasn't for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It took me several attempts. I think I uninstalled it three times before enjoying it. I just found riding around really boring, and the erg mode has issues with a Wattbike. Due to time constraints I wanted to do high intensity stuff and decided to try racing once more. I ended up loving it, and atm it's the only indoor riding I do. I like the zwift racing TT and climbing leagues and I try to do both twice a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zwift is just entertainment while riding indoors.

It's for some people and not for others.

The workouts (on most platforms) just make you a better 20 min rider since that's what most people test.
Last edited by: jaretj: Oct 1, 23 6:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tried TR for years, most I could tolerate was about 100 minutes. The first ride on zwift I told zwift "here, take my money."

have ridden up to 6.5hours on zwift and multiple 5h+ rides. Coolest thing is I can ride with my sis who lives in AUS one day, my athletes the next & my BFF in NC the third day.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Zwift - how long did it take to enjoy it [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Zwift is just entertainment while riding indoors.

For some it might be for entertainment. For me it's competition. I can do "graph staring" interval workouts, but take myself to places in competition that I simply can't while staring at graphs. This is why it's also dangerous - competition-as-training can go very wrong. But when I *want* to test what my current absolute limit is while indoors, I prefer Zwift to graph-staring.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift - how long did it take to enjoy it [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
zwift is great for racing, rouvy for solo rides

I didn't like Zwift and after the trial period never went back. As above prefer Rouvy for the less structured rides and TR for the targeted rides (But I'm always watching something on the TV as well - usually bike racing).
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift - how long did it take to enjoy it [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can see that for a lot of people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least for me I think riding around in Zwift's virtual world is equally mind-numbing to staring at a wall. I'd prefer to watch TV one hundred times out of one hundred for a regular ride. For me, Zwift only has merit for racing and fitness testing (e.g. probably going to do a better 20min time riding Alpe D'Zwift or whatever compared to just staring at a wall), but that's not enough to keep a subscription to it.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift - how long did it take to enjoy it [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
At least for me I think riding around in Zwift's virtual world is equally mind-numbing to staring at a wall.

Same. I like the competition aspect. But it could be just 1980's Tron graphics, and it'd have the same value. The novelty "Oh look, a bear fell out of the tree!" wears off real quick for me. I once tried to use Zwift for training, but caught myself putting in the background to YouTube stuff, and realized I was Doing it Wrong (tm), and switched to TR for that stuff. Only use Zwift now for competition or the occasional social deal, virtual memorial rides, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift - how long did it take to enjoy it [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 to falling in love with Zwift after doing my first race. It was inconvenient though with distances/profiles/start times that did not fit the training. Since they added, and added, and added pacer rides it is perfect. I jump into the group doing the effort level I want, its much more fun and I get a good quality workout at the desired pace without the monotonous boredom of using ERG workouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've tried a number of times again on Zwift and at this stage its not for me I guess. Music on, no changing gears and head down with TR. Thanks for all of the responses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and why not give rouvy a try?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fall into a group and access the benefits of the social component. Or race consistently with a similar group and access the benefits of the competitive component. There's a learning curve regarding game graft, your potential is where bike strength and game craft IQ converge. Work towards maximizing that convergence, and you'll learn to love it. Like I do :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me the only purpose of any indoor riding is to preserve a little fitness to ride outdoors. I literally watch the minutes ticket towards 1 hour. Zwift makes it slightly more tolerable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
goodie wrote:

Like others... immediately. Add being able to ride Alpe de Zwift and Ven Top... love riding replicas of truly amazing climbs

In search of the righteous life... we all fall down
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember when I first started using Zwift it was all quite overwhelming, which caused me to not instantly take to it.

I think that’s the part that took the most time for me, Knowing all the on screen markers, what they meant etc. felt a bit overwhelming.

It maybe very silly, but at the beginning I really enjoyed the badge hunting, the progress through the levels to unlock things and gain access the Alp du Zwift.

But overall I love it. Tried all the others, but keep coming back. Something about the cartoonish graphics which actually make it more immersive than myWhoosh or the like which try for more realism.

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just started using Zwift after using TrainerRoad for a year. TR got pretty boring and it seems like I was just getting the same workouts for something like $20/month. Now I'm using TrainerDay with Zwift. TrainerDay's workouts work well with Zwift, you can just import them into it. TrainerRoad never made it easy to do this.

As for Zwift being boring, not sure about that. I find doing my workouts in the Zwift program instead of the old TrainerRoad app is more fun and you can ride with buddies. I'll probably get into some races once the weather gets shitty.
Last edited by: rhdevries: Oct 5, 23 0:39
Quote Reply

Prev Next