Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Zipp vs HED vs Aerojacket [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I'll just throw out there that the DYMA Aero covers are an alternative to Aerojacket. They're very similar, with the largest difference being that the DYMAs have a radial cut, and are designed so there's some overlap between the two edges of the cut. This sounds bad vs. the solid Aerojacket cover, but I've really liked it in practice. It effectively removes the "wave" issue, and makes installation a breeze - you can mount it without removing the wheel from your bike. It's much quicker to install, and the seam from the cut really doesn't bother me. It's pretty discrete, and you can tape it over if you want.

[for the record I have zero financial interest in DYMA - just pimping a product I've liked quite a bit]

[Photo stolen from DYMA's web site]

Any reason you couldn't just cut a seam in an aerojacket and tape the thing back together?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp vs HED vs Aerojacket [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think there is any overlap on the jacket models, I think the DYMA is made to overlap to make a nice tape surface. Only guessing, I have been an aero jacket guy for about 3 years. I will probably try DYMA next just to make assembly a hair easier.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp vs HED vs Aerojacket [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>Any reason you couldn't just cut a seam in an aerojacket and tape the thing back together?

x2 on the above. You probably could, but while trying to get it back together you'd likely end up with the same "wave" troubles. The DYMA has like 1-2cm of overlap so there's no "lining up" necessary. You just center it on the rim, fasten it, then (optionally) tape it. I haven't taped it because the seam is actually more noticeable taped, and haven't had any trouble with it staying firmly in place with the fasteners.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp vs HED vs Aerojacket [CSU_Prof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good to hear. I have a jet9 w/ pt that I train and race with. Have thought about the aerojacket but knew that laziness would get the better of me in terms of taking it off and putting it on. Sounds like I can just install the cover well once and be done with it.
winning.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp vs HED vs Aerojacket [CSU_Prof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the way you think. I've left my aerojacket on for extended periods of time (weeks, not months)...especially if i have 2 races within like 3-4 weeks of each other. I'm lazy like that. I also ride a hed3. I only use it for races...cuz it would look goofy to ride a tri spoke on the front with spoked wheels on the back. But...if I left the aerojacket on permanently then it would look race day sweet every day. I may have to consider this.

Only downside would be having to put new tires on my Hed3 more often (not really a big deal).
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp vs HED vs Aerojacket [jimmy3993] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe you already know this (i didn't)...but the drive side of the powertap hub just pops off. so you can put the cover on easier without having to deal with the cassette. I thought i broke something the first time this happened.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp vs HED vs Aerojacket [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KAlber wrote:
maybe you already know this (i didn't)...but the drive side of the powertap hub just pops off. so you can put the cover on easier without having to deal with the cassette. I thought i broke something the first time this happened.

No shit, huh? I'm like OMG, WTF did I just do??!??!!!

Then figgered out it wasn't a bug, it was a feature, and all's good.

(That said, I often pull the cassette off anyway doing the install, as I'm either swapping to a different size, or I just want to get it all nice and clean for the race)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp vs HED vs Aerojacket [guppie58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guppie58 wrote:
I train and race with aerojacket on a Reynolds Assault. Even with Michigan rough roads, I've never seen a bolt come loose. Can't say that for the POS Specialized Aerobottle. That fell off one time too many yesterday. It's being replaced by Torhans.

Very nice setup!

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp vs HED vs Aerojacket [amills1210] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll throw my .02 in....
Just buy a used HED C2 disc wheel. Can probably find one used for about $600 - $700.
I had an aerojacket, didn't like it. Pain to install, no guarantee that you'll get it to fit without having bumps/waves (mine had them). And if you are going to have a dedicated wheel for the cover, well, thats money spent on that too.....Resale of them sucks too, partly because of the cost of shipping one to a potential buyer.

So just buy a used disc.

My aerojacket is sitting in a closet, and I now use a HED Stinger disc, much happier.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp vs HED vs Aerojacket [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wait, WHAT???
as in I dont have to take the cassette off to put on / take off the wheel cover on a powertap 3g hub? News to me. I will go check out the powertap website for instructions. If I am understanding correctly this could be a big time saver.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You still have to take off the cassette. With the powertap, though, the cap pops off and you can just slide the cassette off with the freehub attached. Takes about 5 seconds instead of using the cassette removal tool. Comes off in one piece and stays together.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp vs HED vs Aerojacket [Beast2012] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohhhh. Got it. Do you know if I need the special powertap tool to pop it off?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you've got your rear tire off, you can just pull on the cassette and it should just pop off. It isn't the black plastic cap, it's the last piece that your skewer goes through. The first time it happened to me, I thought I had just broken my new powertap .... Happened after changing a flat and the cap popped off when I slid the skewer through and it caught.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp vs HED vs Aerojacket [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2nd Year w/ Aero Jacket... Consulted ST about the Issue of “Take it Off/ Leave It On,” Debate.... its Staying On! Too Lazy to Messssss w Cog-Wrench. The Only Reason for me to leave it on is to have That “Extra~Race Day Pump Up” but the time it takes to Install/ Uninstall could b Another Training Ride! Plus another poster made the Argument of it being Weather Tested if left on... = more Confidence!
Quote Reply

Prev Next