Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Zipp vs HED. [epoch2k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check the current thread about "HED Jet Disc" and see the photos I've posted there. I put my C2 front wheel into the rear on my P3C to show the clearance (or lack thereof). Can't say how this would go on a Felt, but might give you some idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp vs HED. [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I made a thread about this, but does anyone have an opinion on Brontrager aero wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp vs HED. [pequa tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zipp ---- lightweight, look great, fast, but far from durable! (I have known a few more than a few people to have cracked their Zipp rims)
HED ---- less flashy, heavier than Zipp, but I have never had a problem with durability! (currently riding Stinger 60/90 tubulars)
Bontrager ----- raced for one season - smooth as butter in feel, but I found hard to keep true (I am 145lbs.)

Good Luck!

UOFT
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp vs HED. [fatbastardtris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both very good choices, if you want to go wide, you now have the option to go with the Jet C2 90
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp vs HED. [scsq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 190lbs and ride a rear Aeolus 6.5 and have no problems. The wheel probably has 10,000 miles on it and as held up great. I think Bontrager wheels are pretty bomb proof.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp vs HED. [scsq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Zipp ---- lightweight, look great, fast, but far from durable! (I have known a few more than a few people to have cracked their Zipp rims)
HED ---- less flashy, heavier than Zipp, but I have never had a problem with durability! (currently riding Stinger 60/90 tubulars)
Bontrager ----- raced for one season - smooth as butter in feel, but I found hard to keep true (I am 145lbs.)

Good Luck!
It's hard to make a blanket statement like that. I've ridden all three brands with lots of miles on each, and have had none of the problems you describe with Bontrager and Zipp. I put probably 15,000 miles on a pair of Bontrager XLite Aero wheels and they are still as true as the day I took them out of the box. Some of the best wheels I've ever ridden. I have a pair of 404 clinchers are my everyday wheels now, and I ride them on anything and everything. No problems at all. Everyone has their horror stories, but simply put, I think most high end wheels that are built today are excellent. I have a friend who uses a pair of Lightweights as his everyday wheels. After he got some SwissStop pads for them which alleviated the carbon braking issues, he loves thems, and they have held up remarkably well.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp vs HED. [epoch2k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just curious, I'm looking in on getting a set of C2s, but with all the talk about the width of the rim, I was wondering if anyone would know if it would fit a 2007 Felt B2. It looks like it would, but there's no place around here that sells it so I can check.

When I spoke to them they said that there was an issue with certain models from the Cervelo range but that it had been 'sorted'. The guys at Hed are super helpful and will put you straight on any issues you have.

I just ordered some Jet 6 C2 with Powertap .... waiting for postie to arrive!

Give them a call

Hed Cycling
651-653-0202
http://www.hedcycling.com

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp vs HED. [Jaymz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously? You are trying to answer a question someone had from nearly two years ago? I'm pretty sure they have it figured out by now :)!

-Brandon
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp vs HED. [Cpt. Clydesdale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously, indeed! Our C2s are all gathering dust now. We're all back to flat discs with 19mm rims and running skinny little Aerowing tires. Or was that yesterday? What have we moved on to today? Tom A.? Jackmott?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The difference between HED and ZIPP is simple. Steve Hed focused on making fast wheels and Zipp focused on marketing fast wheels. Marketing is the difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp vs HED. [trifil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The difference between HED and ZIPP is simple. Steve Hed focused on making fast wheels and Zipp focused on marketing fast wheels. Marketing is the difference.

As clearly evidenced by the fact the Zipp marketing "department" is ONE person, while the Zipp engineering department is 12 people all with collegiate engineering degrees. Yup, that's the hallmark of a marketing-based company...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bob, what's up with the carbon chainring? How do you like it? What's the durability like?

Dan

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use both but if HED made a disc i could use for track and road the ZIPP disc would have to go! M@TTY
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp vs HED. [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, that "ONE" person is really, really good.....:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well I for one ordered a set of 19mm aerowing tires the day before the switch to the R4, which so far doesn't come in 19mm, I'm worried it won't ever.

oh noes

In Reply To:
Seriously, indeed! Our C2s are all gathering dust now. We're all back to flat discs with 19mm rims and running skinny little Aerowing tires. Or was that yesterday? What have we moved on to today? Tom A.? Jackmott?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

As clearly evidenced by the fact the Zipp marketing "department" is ONE person, while the Zipp engineering department is 12 people all with collegiate engineering degrees. Yup, that's the hallmark of a marketing-based company...

What do the engineers do.....Zipp purchased the rim profile patent from Hed

http://theworldthroumyeyes.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp vs HED. [ShoMyOFace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The engineers I imagine might do things like, design the 1080, tweak the torodial profile, play with carbon fiber types, layup, and baking and glue to get more strength and or less weight, play with spoke designs, play with hub designs, play with dimples, invent clinchers with a torodial brake surface, build aerodynamic cranksets, aerobars

and so on

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp vs HED. [ShoMyOFace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

What do the engineers do.....Zipp purchased the rim profile patent from Hed

To give a little history lesson, Zipp purchased Ed Hogue's (whose name I may have mispelled) share of the toroidal wheel patent in the early 90s. Ed was the person who actually *developed* the toroidal wheel shape. Steve Hed's background is that he is a woodworker. Steve made the models - out of wood - that Ed tested in the windtunnel. So when the shape was patented, Ed filed with Steve's name on the patent since Steve was definitely a part of the process. Hogue chose to sell his share of the patent, since he wasn't interested in being in the wheel making game to Andy Ording of Zipp. But Josh Poertner, who is the head of the engineering team now, wasn't an employee at that time. And Josh is the person who drove development - with Zipp's other engineers (none of whom I believe worked at Zipp at the time when the patent was purchased) - of the 808, 1080, sub9, super9, new generation 303, etc. Yes, they had the base patent to work from. But have you ever read the actual toroidal rim patent? It's hardly an exact manual or anything like that on "this is how to make a fast wheel." It is - like most patents - as vague and general as possible, for obvious reasons. To make a wheel like the 808 or 1080 that performs the way that it does aerodynamically is not easy. Not to mention the technology that goes into the braking surface, carbon layup, resin technology, etc. The toroidal shapes are starting points, but they aren't the whole story by a long shot.

And before you start getting too hinky about "buying technology," remember that HED's fastest wheel is the HED3, which they bought from DuPont & Specialized. Something else to consider - since at least the first 808 (and maybe before), every new iteration of wheels from HED has lagged behind Zipp. The Stinger 90 came out after the 808. The Stinger disc came out after the Sub9. So HED may have been a part of the original patent, but the company that has been driving new technology leveraging the patent has been Zipp.

HED and Zipp both make great wheels. But the ridiculous misconceptions and misinformation about Zipp as a company are a true detriment to the innovative and really cutting edge work that Zipp does. It's still not uncommon to see prototype parts for Indy, CART, and NASCAR cars in Zipp's factory. I guess the folks that make those cars wager the Zipp engineers might know a thing or two about going fast...

And for the person who said "ONE" person, it *IS* - literally - one guy. His name is Andy. He is - alone - the Zipp marketing department. ALL of it - web, print, etc. I don't know why this is so hard to believe.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, when is Slowtwitch going to have an employee who is sponsored by HED and pimps HED's wheels?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey, when is Slowtwitch going to have an employee who is sponsored by HED and pimps HED's wheels?

It's a public forum. I'm not sure how my employment by Slowtwitch is at all relevant in this case. Any HED employee or athlete has just as much right to come onto this forum and speak about HED's wheels, development process, manufacturing process, etc. If Andy T. of HED posts here regularly. If he - or anyone else - believes that I have misrepresented the facts or misspoken, they are free to tell me. And I will absolutely admit to any mistakes if I have made them. But the above post - despite the obvious bias - is simply a statement of facts. As I said, HED and Zipp *BOTH* make great wheels. That's also a fact. What aren't facts are the absurd statements about Zipp's marketing, R&D, etc.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a huge hip hop fan, but even I know not to get into a verbal battle with a Rappstar.

Zach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Something else to consider - since at least the first 808 (and maybe before), every new iteration of wheels from HED has lagged behind Zipp.

I'd agree with pretty much everything you said in that post, except the part above. I think HED pretty clearly jumped ahead of Zipp with the performance of the wider tubular rims, particularly in the 60mm category, and Zipp's newest offerings are definitely playing catch-up (and, pretty reminiscent of HED's wheels).

There's some independent data here which confirm HED's data, which demonstrate that the Stinger 6 is a much faster wheel than Zipp's 404--and similar to the 808, which is a much deeper wheel. And there's no denying that even if Zipp were working on wider rims concurrently, HED was first to get them to market.
Last edited by: roady: Apr 23, 10 10:41
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp vs HED. [Cpt. Clydesdale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ha ... I didn't realise how old the thread was when I answered. I just did a search for Hed Wheels curious to see some views on it. However, if they are anything like a lot of triathletes I know they may very well still be analyzing all the options!

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In reply to:

And for the person who said "ONE" person, it *IS* - literally - one guy. His name is Andy. He is - alone - the Zipp marketing department. ALL of it - web, print, etc. I don't know why this is so hard to believe.

====================

Actually, saying Zipp isn't a marketing company simply based on headcount in the *marketing* department might not tell the whole story. You would need to look at a variety of factors in comparing the two companies, e.g.dollars for --

** Headcount and compensation for inside and outside sales reps.

** Dollars for media placement (basically how much and often do they advertise?)

** Sponsership dollars, athlete's product (i.e. value of your wheels!).

** Time of senior management spent on marketing strategy, tactics, implementation.

** Institutional skill, effort, and dollars invested in the retail channel.

** There's more...

Me, I have no knowledge of either company's operations. While I get the impression that Zipp is a superior marketing organization I am NOT saying Zipp wheels are overpriced. I wouldnt know that. But Zipp's domination of the Kona wheel count comes from somewhere, and it usually isn't enough in business simply to build a better mousetrap. You also get the mousetrap on the retailer's shelf, and get the store employee standing behind that shelf to BELIEVE that mousetrap is fabulous and worth every C-Note, etc.

Zipp puts a lot of effort into that, don't they? (And shouldn't they?)

Finally, I give HED credit for the C2 rims, which Zipp seems to be moving towards. And I'd love to own all the wheels from either company.

-------
Joe

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh snap. Hey Jordan, it's Todd, we met a year or so ago at Dan and Montys house. How you feel? Things healing up ok?
Quote Reply

Prev Next