Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp cassette shell
Quote | Reply
I got some new 303s a few months ago and have raced them in about 10 crits/RR/TTs so far this season. I noticed after the very first easy ride that the cassette was putting little dents in the splines of the cassette shell. Then yesterday I tried to put a new cassette on prior to a crit and the shell was so fooled up that I could barely get the job done. I remember having a similar problem with some Rolf Vector Pros a few years ago, but I've been riding thousands of miles and performing many cassette changes on Mavics for the past 4 years with no problems so I don't think this is completely due to me being a moron. Why are Zipp shells so malleable? Does anyone else have this problem? Personally I'd rather have something more durable even if it adds 3 grams.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp cassette shell [juan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd seen that a little bit on my old Zipps...not sure why they are like that though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen tolerance differences in Zipp cassette bodies. My 909 set would accomodate an Ultegra 9 cassette, but not a DA 10. It was milled a few microns different. Zipp sent me a new cassette body......

It didn't have anything to do with teething of the body from the cassette, it was a tolerance issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
your zipp cassette body is likely an aluminum alloy.

your 4 year old mavic likely has a steel cassette body.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp cassette shell [Diesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.... do you recall how you got in touch with Zipp to get that cassette body? I can't find any contact info on their website. I'm concerned that the next time I try to switch cassettes I won't be able to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are obviously putting way too much force on your rear wheel. Ride like me with no power or acceleration and you won't have a problem.

The cassette body costs about $100 and is available on the zipp website at zipp.com, I think.

Zipp is very easy to work with. Just give them a call.

Zipp is designed to be very light. That is probably the reason for the difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp cassette shell [Diesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
D,

I have the same problem with mine, Ultegra fits, DA doesn't. Its never been that big of a deal for me since I use primarily Ultegra cassettes anyway, but it is frustrating that my DA 12/23 won't fit.

They sent you a new one free?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp Speed Weaponry
1180 N. Main St. Suite A
Speedway IN 46224-6942

Tel: 317.481.1120
Toll Free: 800.472.3972
Fax: 317.243.3879
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp cassette shell [kytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorta, yes....

Wheels were unridden when I figured this out. Called them up, rec'd an RMA, ordered a new cassette body, sent in the old one for review, CC card was credited the following week. Rec'd the new cassette body via FedEx and it worked like a charm on both cassettes.

It's was "free" after the RMA process was complete.

However, to clarify the problem it has NOTHING to do with the "teething", it was simply a few microns off in diameter. Obviously the DA cassettes have a tighter tolerance than Ultregra.....but I'm engineer to give you specifics.

Zipp customer service has always been WAY above the norm in the bike biz, although the goal is not to need them very often. ;o)
Quote Reply