Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Vuka Clip problem with extensions slipping
Quote | Reply
I just purchased some new Zipp Vuka Clips and I am having problems with the extensions rotating when I put my weight in the cups. I also have the "wing extensions" installed so that I can get the arm cups wider. I have the cups installed in the widest position and I think that might be causing too much leverage. I have tried a squeaky clean dry installation and also an installation with carbon paste. Neither came close to preventing my weight in the cups from causing the cups to rotate the extensions. The prescribed torque is 4NM and I have gone to 5NM with no appreciable difference. The extensions are 22.2 mm carbon extensions from 3T Aura Pro bars.

Anyone have success with the Vuka Clips and the wing extensions installed? Any suggestions? I'm really disappointed since I read about how adjustable and comfortable these clips are. They do seem comfortable from what I could try out and much more adjustable than the 3T Aura Pros that I had.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Vuka Clip problem with extensions slipping [thorofareken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I switched to these(all aluminum) last year and had similar issues with the extensions rotating outwards under my weight. It seems that when the armrest clamp is positioned inside the extension/pursuit clamp, there is no slippage because the clamps will make contact eventually. If the clamps are staggered, then they are free to rotate until the pad comes to rest on something. I ended up using gratuitous amounts of past and torquing to about 8nm or so before I could eliminate any slippage. Throughout a few months of riding, I have still ended up with slippage. I intend to reevaluate my cockpit setup soon to see if I can place my clamps inside each other to eliminate the possibility of slippage. This increases the stack and decreases the pad width slightly, but it might be worth the tradeoff. Apart from the slippage, I absolutely love the comfort and customizability of this setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Vuka Clip problem with extensions slipping [carlwithac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carlwithac, did you have the wing extensions installed also?

Thanks,

Ken
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Vuka Clip problem with extensions slipping [thorofareken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Alumina clips with the wing extensions installed and PD carbon extensions. I've not had a problem with them slipping and I'm 230 lbs. I used the Zipp supply carbon paste.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Vuka Clip problem with extensions slipping [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Burnt Toast. I used the Zipp supplied carbon paste also. Do you have your cups within the bar clips and perhaps they are bottomed out and therefore won't rotate downward any further?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just looked and they are not bottomed out. I never bothered with torqueing to specs as I don't have one, but I'd say its a good bet that they are tighter then 5nm. I'm not advocating you do that, just telling you about my setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Vuka Clip problem with extensions slipping [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you using aluminum extensions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carbon Profile Design T1+
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bottomed mine out on purpose when I installed them. No slipping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this issue initially with mine.

A couple of things:
* Make sure you grease the screws so that they will properly torque.
* As someone else mentioned Carbon Paste

The greasing of the screws though seamed to be the biggest thing in resolving this issue.

PS do not over torque as the bolts will strip pretty easy.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Vuka Clip problem with extensions slipping [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gymrat wrote:
I had this issue initially with mine.

A couple of things:
* Make sure you grease the screws so that they will properly torque.
* As someone else mentioned Carbon Paste

The greasing of the screws though seamed to be the biggest thing in resolving this issue.

PS do not over torque as the bolts will strip pretty easy.

Now that you mentioned this, I did add some anti-seize to the bolts because I knew they were going to sweaty and crusty.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Vuka Clip problem with extensions slipping [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just an update on this. I greased the screws and torqued to 5nm using the Zipp provided carbon paste and the extensions still rotated with my weight on the cups. I have given up on perfection and just rotated the clips until they bottomed out. They work fine for me in that position, but I'm disappointed that these clips cannot be used as designed.

The only other thing that I have thought of was to try some aluminum extensions instead of the very slick carbon (3T) extensions that I have. The carbon extensions have a very smooth/slick finish and I am sure that is contributing to the problem. I would get the Zipp aluminum extensions just to ensure compatibility. I'll give an update if/when I try them.

The good news is that the cups are much more comfortable probably mostly due to their size, but also due to their shape/design. Ultimately, I was able to get the bars/cups into a better position than my previous 3T Aura Pro setup allowed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried them earlier this year with Zipp Aluminum extensions and they still slipped on me with carbon paste and 8nm (I'm 160lbs). I eventually gave up on all of it and swapped everything out as I could not get as low as I wanted and was tired of messing around with clips and extensions. Pretty disappointed considering they were touted as such a great, adjustable system. I went with Tririg Alpha and never looked back.

To note I did have the older Vuka Clip previously for several years, but wanted to change my position a bit and they did allow for the movement I needed.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Vuka Clip problem with extensions slipping [shredz2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing your experience. I won't bother trying the aluminum ones then. Bummer.

The TriRig bars look awesome. They cost more than I paid for my bike. Lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem here. Wrap the portion of the extensions that will be hidden with a layer or two of electrical tape. Works for me, no more slipping.

Boiler Up!
Quote Reply