Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Valve Extender too big
Quote | Reply
I just bought a set of Zipp 808's. Both wheels came with a nice long black Zipp valve extender. When I was putting a set of tubulars on the wheels the stretch them out, I noticed that one of the valve extenders would not fit through the hole for the valve in the wheel. It fit into the hole on the outer edge, but it would not go all the way through to the inner edge. I tried removing the extender and attempted to push it through from the inner edge to open the whole up more, but the whole was way too small. When I compared the valve extender that wouldn't fit to the other one that did, I noticed a obvious diameter difference.

Has anyone else had this problem? I don't understand why Zipp would make valve extenders with different diameters.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Valve Extender too big [veryoriginal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looks like your drilling out your new wheels....i have a 404 front that I got with my set of 909's but use my h3 front as I just can't get comfortable with valve extenders (particularly in term sof having a mixed set of valves on a bike (in the case of 909's/rear disk and a deep front....)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had the same problem. In my first difficult mount, I could hardly remove the extenders after pumping. Had to use pliers which in a way scratched the extenders (on their first day).

Was afraid to use the drill so I just tried to "de-virginize" it somehow, in-out-in-out...sort of thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Valve Extender too big [campled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is only one of the extenders. The other one works in both wheels. I am really scared to drill a $1000 hole in a piece of carbon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just get another valve extender then - for convenience you'll want a couple for spares anyways.
Last edited by: Uncle Phil: Feb 10, 06 5:47
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Valve Extender too big [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We had a batch of extenders with too large a diameter on the barrel due to a broken machining insert in the middle of a production batch, which was not caught by our vendor before a few hundred parts had been produced. These few hundred large ones were mixed in with a few thousand good ones, so it took us a while to learn of the problem. If you just call Zipp, they are well aware of it and will send you a new one.

It scares me that drilling out the rim was mentioned and agreed upon by the forum well before anybody suggested calling the manufacturer...

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Valve Extender too big [joshatzipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's from the Tim Taylor school of bike mechanics...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm more than little concerned, I called zipp this morning and they told me to file the holes a little bit. I had not read this thread. I'm not too excited about filing a $1000 wheel set. Not the best experience for a 1st time Zipp (Flashpoint buyer)

FYI, The wheels look and rode great.
Last edited by: AndrewinNH: Feb 10, 06 10:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
R & A Cycles carries Vredstein 80mm tubes, Anywhere else to get them?

Vredstein LV 80mm Tubes

$14.95
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Valve Extender too big [AndrewinNH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I called today too. They said the same thing about filing. I would expect to recieve a new extender being that Zipp knows that they have screwed up ones out there. I mean I just spent $1700 on a pair of wheels. What is a new extender compared to that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It is only one of the extenders. The other one works in both wheels. I am really scared to drill a $1000 hole in a piece of carbon.

Yeah, I had the same problem with an extender I bought at a local shop. Took it back and a different Zipp extender worked. The barrel where the threads are was clearly thicker on the one that didn't fit through.

If you've got one extender that fits in both wheels though, you don't seem to have a problem, right? Unless you are big on inflating your tires simultaneously?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a very good followup from Josha (Zipp's Slowtiwtch CS Rep), I going to give his advise a try, He did explain it better then the guy on the phone. Rode this morning, FP 60, are great but I think my eyes frooze open for a little while.
Quote Reply