Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Tangente vs Bontrager Race X Lite TT tires
Quote | Reply
Just wondering - I need new race clinchers for my TT bike - I mainly do 10-20 mile TT's. Anyone actually used both and have a preference? Accoriding to 'their' websites - the Zipp claims a 9 second advantage over 40Km... and Bontrager claims 9 seconds over 10Km... which is 4 times more... so technically better right?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Tangente vs Bontrager Race X Lite TT tires [FastFreddyFour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use both, and both are excellent tires and both have their merits.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Tangente vs Bontrager Race X Lite TT tires [FastFreddyFour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on the wheels. Hed 3 go with 19 Bontrager X Lite. 2008 and new Zipps, use 21 Zipp Tangente.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Tangente vs Bontrager Race X Lite TT tires [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the advice. I have been debating over this exact thing!
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Tangente vs Bontrager Race X Lite TT tires [stanfna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It has to do with the rim shape. Talked to Zipp on Friday for about a half hour on this. They were REALLY helpful.

Because of the bulge on Zipp 2008's and newer, a 21 is the best way to go as it sits flush with the rim. The Hed 3's have never changed shape and don't have the bulge, so a 19 works best aerodynamically speaking. I picked up the Bontrager X Lites (R4's were not available) for my Hed 3's and I always run Zipp Tangente's on my Zipps. I have been getting pressure from one of my mechanics to give schwabble another try (really bad experience in 2008 with blowouts).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so if you have fat rims.... run the Tangente's... narrow run the Bontragers - is that a safe theory?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much what Zipp said. And they didn't discourage me from other wheels, but did add in that the new 808 Firecrest is faster than their 1080 clinchers. And that the 1080 Firecrest won't see production until late 2011 or 2012.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is my setup:

zipp 700x21 on a fp60 front, zipp 700x23 on a powertap velocity wheel with cover.

the 700x21 i have never raced on, the 23 i have. great tires. the 21 sits flush with the wheel.
Quote Reply