Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Tangente, Continental Competition, Other Tires
Quote | Reply
I'm considering using the Zipp Tangente tubular tire for IMFL. However, I don't know how durable it is, especially relative to the Continental Competition tires. Anyone know of a review or otherwise have information as far as it's durability? Which tire would you recommend and why (doesn't have to be from these two options)?

Thanks.

http://iron-boom.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Tangente, Continental Competition, Other Tires [ironboom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Zipp on my TT rear wheel. Can't tell if I'm faster with it or not. My other tubies are Continental Podiums. The Zipp leaks air (latex tube, I think) and the Podiums can be ridden 3 days later without pumping them up. I think the wear is about the same. The podiums can be bought for less than half the price of the Zipps. I'll be sticking with the Podiums.

I apologize for not being able to address youur original question, but hopefully this is useful.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Tangente, Continental Competition, Other Tires [ironboom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been running the Zipps this season and would say that they have pretty decent durability. Tread hasn't been wearing too much and there are a few cuts, but nothing terminal yet. I have found them to be rather slippery on some wet road surfaces- this is good for going fast in a straight line, but a little sketchy when turning or short bursts of climbing out of the saddle.

I haven't spent enough time on the Conti's to know the durability, but I will definitely be considering those when it is time for a tire change. Lots of pro cyclists have used this tire for years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've had a customer wear a Zipp Tangente tubular down to the casing without getting a flat. The guy rides the bike (road) regularly and held off replacing it for as long as possible for some reason.

I've been riding Conti Competition tires for the last few years. I put new tires on at the start of this season and have done 3 IMs, 2 halves, and a few training rides on the tires and they still look to be in pretty good shape. I'll change them out before next season but that is still a decent number of miles on them without having any problems.

-Darrell

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Tangente, Continental Competition, Other Tires [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies to everyone. I've decided to go with the Zipp Tangente.

http://iron-boom.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good choice boet!

3:10 to PCB!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have three Zipp wheels with Zipp clinchers on them and I have only gotten one flat in the last year. It happened on a damp road and it was a really small rock (only a couple of mm in diameter) that got stuck on the tire and worked its way into the inner tube. This happened the day before the Lake Stevens 70.3 and I was 12 miles from my rent a car (where I had left my spares). So I'm standing on the side of the road with a aero helmet on my head and a P3C with a flat. After about ten minutes a stranger who was driving the course stopped and gave me and my bike a ride back to my rental car. I was 3,000 miles from home and this stranger helped me out, thats something I wouldn't expect to happen around my home (Philadelphia). Tim
Quote Reply