Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Super 9 and/or 858 NSW with 28mm Tires
Quote | Reply
Hi Slowtwitch,

My new TT bike will have zipp 858 front and back and Super 9 (for race day) in tubeless config. I’ve only ever used 25mm tires, but from the Zipp product page, I’m interested in 28mm tires, but have some concerns.

Who uses zipp super 9 and/or 858 with 28mm tires? I heard that they still have the old narrow inner rims, and that while zipp says 28mm is fine, theoretically you’d be losing watts? I’m wondering if this is true in real world race situations?

The internal is 18mm and outer is 24.6mm. So, 28mm Conti GP 5000 seems way bigger.

Is this actually aero or bad?

Really looking to see what your experiences are,

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Super 9 and/or 858 NSW with 28mm Tires [sigmachi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m actually interested in understanding if anyone ha tested the gains of a Super 9 compared to a 858 with 28mm tubeless.

I currently race with 858 28mm rear and 25mm front, as far as I’ve understood from several blogs the gains of a disc wheel with 28mm is around 2-4W at 45kmh.

Considering the price if a disc wheel around 2000€, I think I can avoid splashing 1000€/w.

Has anyone come across some tests / studies on this matter?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Super 9 and/or 858 NSW with 28mm Tires [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have tubeless version but have Super 9 & NSW858 set up.I used to have 25mm rear and 23mm in the front but found out 25mm in the front is faster. Switched the front wheel to a generic Chinese tri spoke wheel with 25mm and oh my goodness, 858NSW is overrated. Cheap tri spoke wheel is WAY faster. Don't stick to NSW 858 in the front. Just my 2 cents.
Quote Reply