Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Super-9 Rotor Install
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any ideas on which tool to use install a disc rotor on the Super-9? I’ve used two different cassette type tools and neither are large enough to overcome the flared portion of the thru-axle. Front 808 rotor went on fine. TIA!
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Super-9 Rotor Install [kilo_dave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah for some wheels you need a tool that is basically hollow. Its absurd, but just where the industry is.

example
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Super-9 Rotor Install [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, the lock ring is internally splined like a cassette lock ring. I’m wondering if I can swap lock rings out. Hmm….
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huh, the centerlock Lockring on my Zipp’s uses a bsa bb tool for instal and removal. It’s engaging the outside of the Lockring.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Super-9 Rotor Install [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahaa!!! Was trying to use the lock ring that came with rotor! Didn’t realize Zipp shipped the appropriate one with the wheel. Thanks for everyone’s help! Love this place!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kilo_dave wrote:
Ahaa!!! Was trying to use the lock ring that came with rotor! Didn’t realize Zipp shipped the appropriate one with the wheel. Thanks for everyone’s help! Love this place!

Yeah. I just ran across the same thing mounting up a rotor on a new Super 9. All centerlock Zipps come with external notch lockrings. But I’ve converted all to use the internal splines so I can use a lightweight Silca cassette lockring tool when removing/mounting for travel. The Super 9 has a thickend axle up to the edge of the mount end for the unsupported length past the hub bearings. There is no gap for an internal splined cassette lockring tool. I’ve had to add a Wolftooth pak tool to my travel tool kit.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Super-9 Rotor Install [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great info! Is there a benefit to internally splined over external?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kilo_dave wrote:

Not that I know about. Both style lockrings do the same thing. I just went with internal because the tool was light and also works for cassettes. I’ve had a couple of trips screwed up with bent rotors so I always take them off now.

I only have 12mm thru axles now. But I think 15mm+ need the external lockrings. Probably not an issue with road/tri/gravel wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kilo_dave wrote:
Some bikes have a extremely close fit between the locking and the fork and a external locking won't fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s why they come with that ‘other’ lock ring that has the tooth on the outside :-).

Regards,

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply