Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Zipp Firecrest 303 vs 404 [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talk him into 404 rear 303 front maybe =)

But yeah, deep wheels up front are just fine, until they aren't, and then it is really bad.

damon_rinard wrote:
Hi Aaron,

Andreas Klier (formerly a Cervelo TestTeam pro) agrees with you. I was recommending the 404s even on the mountain stages, but he explained to me that for him, in the autobus, the critical moments aren't on the flats or uphills (the autobus keeps reasonable tempo so the group can stay together), it's the descents. There are often a lot of sprinters in this group, who are typically heavier and have good bike handling skills, so they try to bomb the down hills as fast as possible to make up time when they can.

Andreas told me, coming around a switchback, there can sometimes be gusts. On a deeper wheel, he might have to touch the brakes to avoid going off the edge of the road - and lose the wheel in front. Then he would feel tempted to "ease up" in the next corners, possibly falling off the back and facing a looong ride to the finish alone.

So he chose the 202s in these stages, not for climbing, but for handling on the descents.

It was surprising to me at the time, but it made sense when he explained it.

Cheers,

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Firecrest 303 vs 404 [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jack,

Yeah, he was talking about the front wheel only. 404s on the rear on those stages (and pretty much every stage).

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Firecrest 303 vs 404 [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is a genius!

damon_rinard wrote:
Hi Jack,

Yeah, he was talking about the front wheel only. 404s on the rear on those stages (and pretty much every stage).

Cheers,

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Firecrest 303 vs 404 [needmoreair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
needmoreair wrote:
Granted, this was the 2001-2002 version, so there could have been a layup difference. I've ridden Cane Creek Chronos with a 58mm rim and they were far stiffer, but different wheel and different lace up and all.

The 2001-2002 Zipp 303's are completely different wheels than the new 303's that are out now. Obviously the Firecrest clinchers are completely different, but the 303 tubulars were redesigned in like 2009 to be 25mm wide. So you can't really compare stiffness of an old narrow 303, to the new ones.
Last edited by: nightfend: Jul 11, 13 11:16
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Firecrest 303 vs 404 [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup...in 2009 the 303 shape changed to a deeper wider shape. In 2012 the shape changed to the current FC shape which is slightly wider and rounder.

Prev Next