Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Disc Handling and Maintenance
Quote | Reply
Ok I just bought a Zipp Super 9 Disc Wheel for 2017 Galveston 70.3 and I am excited to try it out. Is there anything special about maintenance or handling? It is awfully expensive, so I would hate to wreck it out of ignorance … any advice would be helpful.

I am 185 lbs and 6’1” so I think I can keep vertical on the road during the race, but I will bring my rear 404 (in the case of high wind).
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Disc Handling and Maintenance [jdd112] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's nothing to do regarding maintenance but just know you'll need to use to the disc adapter that comes with it to pump up the tire. It can be a two person job for some but make sure you practice in case you get a flat. It's not hard. It's just different and some hate dealing with the adapter. Personally, I think it's easy.

The disc will actually help keep you more stable in windy conditions. It's the front wheel that causes stability issues. If you are running a 404 front, you'll be fine.

Also, one thing I learned was not to fight the wind while riding.... especially in cross winds. Stay relaxed (don't tense up) and let the wind take you where it wants to. Obviously if it moves you into an unsafe area, you'll need to react. Just don't try to fight the wind the whole time.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you bought the Super9 new it should come with the latest crackpipe inflation adapter from Silca (black anodized aluminum with a red gasket). If you don't have this model of Silca adapter I highly recommend the approx. $30 investment. The new Silca will clamp on the valve stem tight enough to allow you to pump up the tire by yourself without a helper to hold the adapter on the valve stem.

Now that you have a disc...more wind is better!

For structural discs such as the Super9 handling and packing can be an issue. I have cut out heavy cardboard to overlay mine when packing in the bike box for travel. This can save you dents and dings in the disc surface.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for the feedback, I took it out for my first ride and it felt fast (perhaps because my wallet was so much lighter!)

Cheers,

James
Quote Reply