Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Clincher Question...
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if Zipp clinchers require different brake pads than normal? The Zipp website mentions that their wheels should only be with carbon specific brakes (Zipps, Koolstops) but I was not sure if this was only applicable to the tubular wheels. Thanks for the help!
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Clincher Question... [erwinchang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope the pad changes are only necessary for Tubs, there aluminium clinchers so your normal pads will work great.

---------------------------
http://www.nunnsontherun.com
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Clincher Question... [gavnunns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm actually getting 404 clinchers. They are 2005 models. How about a good tire choice? EZ to get on and off the rim, light weight but good puncture resistance for racing?

I got some Mitchilin Pro Race2, I found them easy to get on a 404 clincher and I'm told they are fast and good at resisting punctures.

If you do a search there are some other good threads discussing various race tires, clinchers and Tubs

http://www.nunnsontherun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Zipp 404 clinchers and I don't need special brake pads for mine. I can tell you that I just bought some Continental 4000's to put on mine and wow, were they tough to get on. I really like the tires, but they were VERY tough to get on my Zipp 404's.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Clincher Question... [trigoneroadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What year are your 404's? I've heard that the 2003 model are a bear to get tires off the rim but they changed that for the 2005 model.

No special pads needed for your 404 clinchers, but we do recommend the Zipp pads as stock Campy and Shimano pads contain aluminum oxide, this is the same stuff they make sandpaper from and will both increase heat at the rim surface during braking as well as shorten rim life by effectively sanding the rim everytime you use the brakes. The Zipp pads will both reduce temperatures and increase rim life on any rim, be it carbon or aluminum.

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why 404 clinchers.? They're like 1700g.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Clincher Question... [Trigirlpink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michelin ProRace2 for sure. Not stupid light (220g), reasonably puncture resistant (I train on mine), very good rolling resistance, and jus right to get on the rim (not easy, but no struggle).

having said that, I'm not sure why anyone would go with Zipp clinchers for race wheels. I race on 404s tubulars BTW.

Re: Zipp Clincher Question... [Chubbly Geezer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tubs = 1300g, less than a lb. diff. It's up to you and what your needs are: <1lb. vs. convenience, cost and practicality.

_______
t
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope just normal pads.

Has anyone had any problems with blow outs. I had a blow out this weekend after putting on new tires and tubes. The blow out occured after riding 50 miles. A friend of mine also has zipp clinchers and he has had multiple blow outs. I thought it was his tires but now I'm thinking it's the rims. The pressure is right at 110psi

This weekend was the first time riding the wheels, they are 04 models and only have a few hundred miles on 'em.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Clincher Question... [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

having said that, I'm not sure why anyone would go with Zipp clinchers for race wheels. I race on 404s tubulars BTW. The whole glue, thought of struggling to get a tubular off the rim during a race, is not for everyone. I have 303 tubulars and now will have both,(303 tubulars and 404 clincher) I guess, to really decide want I like. I'm not a bike "purest" to really know the difference in feel of a clincher vs tubular. I do know I'm speedy at changing a clincher! When a machanic was having a very difficult time helping me 20 minutes before a race to change a busted value stem, it scared me... how the heck am I gonna get this damn tubular off if he can't. I thought?

Last edited by: Trigirlpink: Mar 28, 06 9:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, I think you're better off with either Kool Stop's regular pads, or, better yet, their carbon pads as Zipp suggests.

The reason has nothing to do with stopping power/modulation, but rim wear. Shimano's stock pads tend to EAT aluminum rims, which is why Zipp suggests a different pad.

As far as why one would use 404 clinchers--that's pretty simple: they're faster under almost all conditions.

Lastly, I have Michelin Pro2 Race tires on mine, and of the low rolling resistance tires, they seem to have the best puncture resistance. They mount pretty easily, but tight enough that you have to be pretty careful not to pinch the tube--which I'm suspecting is the cause of blowouts for one poster.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Clincher Question... [trigoneroadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought 2006 FP 60s and lost two tubes putting on the Continental 4000's. Though likley user error.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Clincher Question... [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I don't really use my Zipp enough to justify changing my brake pads around. They only see about 12 races per year - hopefully they will be good for a couple of seasons:)

About the blowouts - I'm using the Michelin race pro tires & they seem to go on with a normal amount of difficulty at least I need levers to get the final bit of tire on. My friend was using gatorskins which also seemed to fit on pretty tightly.

Thing is, I've never had a tire blow out before when using the same tire/tube combo on different rims.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Clincher Question... [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As far as why one would use 404 clinchers--that's pretty simple: they're faster under almost all conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Clincher Question... [Trigirlpink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, mine are older...probably 2002's.

clincher or tubular... in the end, it is the engine that matters :)
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Clincher Question... [joshatzipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Josh, I have a 808 front wheel on the way right now. I'll have to get the brake pads this weekend. Do you have to change them every time you change wheels or just leave them on the bike.

Just for the record; I'm taking off 404clinchers and going tubular and even I don't believe that anyone is going to win or lose a race because they chose clinchers or tubulars.

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply