Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 404's or 808's?
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

I have rented Zipp 808's before on my Olympic tris, and frankly I didn't seem to get much out of them. The wheels seemed a bit heavy and handling suffered, and I felt I was wasting energy instead of feeling smooth and fast. However, I recently bought an aero helmet, and, what a difference. My 40k TT has dropped from 1:09 to 1:03:49 over the past month -- the helmet made WAY more of a difference than the wheels ever did, though by renting I don't have much of a chance to get used to them.

My question is this: with Augusta 70.3 coming up, I will be renting Zipps again. Should I stick with the 808's as I've had a few races with them, or would 404's be a better option for someone who doesn't use race wheels in training?

I appreciate any advice on this.

---------------------

"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you are right."
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404's or 808's? [Sohan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you considered 808 rear and 404 front? That will "stabilize the rig".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this isn't exactly what you're asking but why don't you save a little and just buy them? Renting seems so wasteful.

Ok, /rant. Sorry
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404's or 808's? [bradl016] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bradl016 wrote:
I know this isn't exactly what you're asking but why don't you save a little and just buy them? Renting seems so wasteful.

Ok, /rant. Sorry

Renting a pair of 808FCs for your A race: $200.

Buying a pair: $2000+.

Renting next year's model for next year's A race. $200.

Buying next year's pair: $2000+.

Seeing the pattern?

I find it far more wasteful to have a pair of wheels taking up space in a garage for 90% of the season than for one pair to be used by a bunch of people virtually every weekend.
Last edited by: DrPete: Sep 21, 12 18:37
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404's or 808's? [DrPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. I guess they must have dropped their prices recently, I remembered them being higher. That said, you're only paying 2000 bucks if you buy new Zipps. New HEDs or Flos or used anything is cheaper.

Totally understand your angle though.

As far as the original point of the post, the big 808 on the front probably wouldn't be great for cornering but like an above poster said, why not a 606 set? IIRC, on some bikes the 404 is actually faster as a front than the 808. Not sure if you can rent a bike :)
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404's or 808's? [bradl016] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually think the 808FC handles as well in front as the older 404s, but yes- a 404/808 combo is a good option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrPete wrote:
bradl016 wrote:

Ok, /rant. Sorry

Renting a pair of 808FCs for your A race: $200.

Buying a pair: $2000+.

Renting next year's model for next year's A race. $200.

Buying next year's pair: $2000+.

Seeing the pattern?

I find it far more wasteful to have a pair of wheels taking up space in a garage for 90% of the season than for one pair to be used by a bunch of people virtually every weekend.

This^^^^

I do maybe 4-5 races per year max. I spent about $300 this year total on wheel rental. They are serviced, mounted, and all adjustments made for free. If I wreck, I'm not liable for damage. This is a no-brainer for me, when a set of new Zipps can easily run $2500.

The only disadvantage is that I have little opportunity to practice with the wheels and adjust to their nuances. That is why I was unsure about 404's and 808's. I like the advice about the 404's on the front, though. That's likely the option I'll pursue.

---------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you renting Zipps for $60 including insurance?

You could buy a pair of used Zipps and sell them 2 years later for pretty much what you paid for them. Then, you could train on them as much as you needed to so that you would become comfortable.

I bought a used H3 in 2007 for $300. I've probably used it 50 times. I could sell it today for at least what I paid for it. You'd have spent $1500 in that time on your rentals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
808 rear, 404 front, also know as a 606. I train in 404's and race in a 606 set-up....I also couldn't believe the difference an aero helmet mad! If anyone is looking for a very inexpensive way to shave time, I always recommend an aero helmet! Good Luck!!!

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404's or 808's? [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kdw wrote:
I bought a used H3 in 2007 for $300. I've probably used it 50 times. I could sell it today for at least what I paid for it. You'd have spent $1500 in that time on your rentals.

A 5-year-old H3 and a pair of this year's Zipps might not be an apples-to-apples comparison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For racing, it depends on race conditions, but I would stick to the FC 808's most of the time if you are going to rent and if you can rent a disc in the back even better.

I run 808's on my Speed Concept year round. I run a disc for races and in fact I will be buying that new all carbon clincher Zipp disc very soon. The Zipp wheels hold up well for training and racing...just make sure to run a strong tire like a gator skin in training and then run a race tire on race day. No point in my mind blowing my wad on race wheels and then letting them sit in the garage and collect dust. Run em all the time, you'll be more comfortable on them come race day, and they look better than training wheels any day of the week, plus they hold up well and can take more abuse then most people realize. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I do maybe 4-5 races per year max. I spent about $300 this year total on wheel rental. They are serviced, mounted, and all adjustments made for free. If I wreck, I'm not liable for damage. This is a no-brainer for me, when a set of new Zipps can easily run $2500.

You aren't renting new Zipps, why must you buy new Zipps?

Hell, you can buy Zipps from Ironman Wheel Rental, the same company that rents you the wheels.
Last edited by: LSUfan4444: Sep 21, 12 20:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"A 5-year-old H3 and a pair of this year's Zipps might not be an apples-to-apples comparison. "

From a performance perspective, it sounds like you'd be surprised at what the comparison was. With my wheels, I get better tires/tubes then the rentals, and I'm super comfortable as I can ride them as much as I want in training. But, they don't say Zipp, which is obviously important to a lot of people.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's beyond current helmet technology that the helmet alone made you that much faster. You sneaky fellow....you bought a pair of 808 firecrest and are lurking to see if your data is validated.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404's or 808's? [thetimetrialist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thetimetrialist wrote:
It's beyond current helmet technology that the helmet alone made you that much faster. You sneaky fellow....you bought a pair of 808 firecrest and are lurking to see if your data is validated.

lol...I wish...would love to own a pair of my own...but after all the purchases I have made over the past year or so, wheels would be the straw on the camel's back that would put me in divorce court....:)

Thanks for all the great advice. Love this site!

---------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your 5+minutes on the 40k seems to be a lot for just wearing an aero helmet. Are you sure there is no other factors? Such as nutritions or wind changes? People pay thousands of dollars just to save a few minutes on the bike on a Full IM. I highly doubt that your helmet was the result of your new bike time.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404's or 808's? [Chino_ironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chino_ironman wrote:
Your 5+minutes on the 40k seems to be a lot for just wearing an aero helmet. Are you sure there is no other factors? Such as nutritions or wind changes? People pay thousands of dollars just to save a few minutes on the bike on a Full IM. I highly doubt that your helmet was the result of your new bike time.

I can't figure out what's different, but this is the most glaring variable. The consistency of my rides tells me the helmet is making a big difference -- thought it might also be a mental boost, but in fact I was pretty skeptical of this thing before I started riding.

I remember my first ride with the helmet and looking down at my Garmin about 5 miles in and noticing that I was in the high 22's -- this just isn't normal for me. I never crack 22 in my rides, and I felt I was going pretty easy. Since then, I've been consistently doing the same course at 23.0-23.4, and all my other ride routes are faster by about 1.5-2 mph also. I had read that the helmet would only help about 1/2 mph, so it's odd that I would improve so quickly.

Haven't lost weight or changed my program, and I didn't start using TRT, lol. Looking forward to seeing what the helmet/wheels combo brings in Augusta!

---------------------

Quote Reply