Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Your favourite goggles for open water?
Quote | Reply
My goggle straps finally succumbed to the chlorine and bit the biscuit. Time for a new pair, which I'm hoping will last me at least halfway through the race season. Any recommendations? I'm thinking some kind of anti-glare lens might be nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Your favourite goggles for open water? [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swedes or socket rockets.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blue seventy goggles
Quote Reply
Re: Your favourite goggles for open water? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swim in Swedes in the pool, but use the Aqua Sphere Kaiman in open water for racing.

I like the mirrored lenses for when the sun is coming up and the black border acts like a blinder (less peripheral vision than Swedes). But the real reason I like these is because you can get popped in the eye and they spread the blow over a nice big surface. Interestingly they give me double vision when I try to look at a black line on the bottom of the pool in them.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did pick up a pair of swedes, but haven't gotten as far as swimming with them. Feel like they dig into my eyeballs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should wear swedes looser than regular goggles with a gasket. That's what makes them more comfortable, you barely need any strap tension to hold them in place.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should add, if you are a front of pack swimmer, go with swedes. If you are mid pack, something with a gasket. Less chance of getting kicked in the face if there is no-one in front of you.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use swedish goggles indoors and out. My current pair are clear but with some reflecto that cuts out glare outside. The anti fog is dead so I need some new ones.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy CRAP!

JasoninHalifax and I agree on something! LOL

Swedish goggles suction themselves onto my face nicely. I could just about swim without a strap except for the dive start.

Best invention since the ice cream maker!

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Your favourite goggles for open water? [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, a broken clock is right twice a day.

(For the record, you are the broken clock in this analogy) ;)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Well, a broken clock is right twice a day.

(For the record, you are the broken clock in this analogy) ;)

I'm looking forward to the second time today that I'm right about something. That will be a big event according to what my wife tells me! (I'm just hoping I'm not a military clock. LOL)

TriDork

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My fave goggles are Leader,; nice fit, robust strap, durable

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: Your favourite goggles for open water? [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new Zoggs Photochromatic Predator goggles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TYR Orion and TYR Special Ops Custom

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I won't swim with anything other than TYR Technoflex goggles (currently known as "4.0"). I have pairs in clear for the pool and tinted for OW. But... whatever fits your face.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TYR Special Ops hands down.

Stumbled across them when I did a race over on the east coast and did not have any gear on me. Something like $17 and the lens are just starting to fail after swimming with them 5 days a week in the pool through the winter. No babying or anything, straight into the bag with everything else. Super comfortable fit and hardly any strap tension needed. I find that I get a bad headache if my goggles require a tight strap after an hour and a half or so. First pair that hasn't presented that problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Your favourite goggles for open water? [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. TYR special Ops are great.
Quote Reply
Re: Your favourite goggles for open water? [matthansontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
best goggles I've ever owned. The Orions are really good too but they are my backup pair to my Special Ops.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Your favourite goggles for open water? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
I swim in Swedes in the pool, but use the Aqua Sphere Kaiman in open water for racing.

I like the mirrored lenses for when the sun is coming up and the black border acts like a blinder (less peripheral vision than Swedes). But the real reason I like these is because you can get popped in the eye and they spread the blow over a nice big surface. Interestingly they give me double vision when I try to look at a black line on the bottom of the pool in them.

X2. I do a lot of open water swimming in Hawaii the smoke, or mirrored Aqua Sphere Kaiman are great.
Quote Reply
Re: Your favourite goggles for open water? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the first version of the Special Ops, but the Special Ops 2.0 just don't fit me right. I don't know why they had to mess with a good thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Your favourite goggles for open water? [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swedes. They are the only choice. At $6 a pop you can grab a mirrored pair and a few different shades for different light conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finis Surge. Polarized. I can't get them to leak or wear out. Been using them for well over a year in the pool, in open water and racing. Great goggle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TYR pro nest hands down
Quote Reply
Re: Your favourite goggles for open water? [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+ 1
Quote Reply
Re: Your favourite goggles for open water? [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TYR Special Ops