Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Your downhill top speed in a triathlon
Quote | Reply
Jan Frodeno hit more than 100km/h (almost 65MPH) on a downhill section during his race at Allgäu Triathlon in Germany last weekend. You better do not think of a loose break in that moment.

What's your top speed? Which race "offers" the fastest downhill sections?
Quote Reply
Re: Your downhill top speed in a triathlon [motorcity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
45 mph at Branson 70.3. Very slow up and a killer down!

Disco
South Bend, IN

Habitual Line Stepper..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, probably the IMLP decent into Keene would be the fastest I've sustained downhill in a race. But at 130 pounds, I don't get into the 50+ mph range. Probably mid-forties.... and if I ever got a death-wobble with my front wheel at that speed i would instantly slick a quarter mile of tarmac with half-digested bonk breakers spewed from my rear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
49mph at Ironman Lake Placid this year. I only hit 47 on the second lap because the wind picked up. The fastest I've ever been on a bicycle is from that area as well.. Dropping down Whiteface mountain. 8 miles at 8% grade.. I hit 60mph there a few years ago but it wasn't a race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
50.5 on the Keene descent at IMLP a few weeks ago. I weigh 145lbs or so. First lap only though. Second time through there was a headwind and it limited me to high 40s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At Loveland Lake to Lake this year I hit 52 or 53 mph and had to sit up and ride the barkes a bit because of a pickup truck in front of me. That is a great course with two descents that are just steep enough with high quality asphalt and just gentle curves to make it super fun to let it all hang out without being terrified. Loved that race!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
45 MPH Sugarloaf mountain downhill at Great Floridian 140.6 last year.
Lots of nice downhills (3 loop course) at this race and can't wait to do it again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been in the mid and upper 50s max speed in races many times over the past few decades. AmZof is a good course for hitting crazy fast if you're comfortable descending at speed around sweeping curves.

But this year, after 6 years off of racing and with mostly flat races on my schedule, it's been 43.6 at USAT Duathlon National Championships in Bend. That hill makes for a nice steady climb and then downhill run, but there is nothing really precipitous that would get you to insane speeds. It's only 3-4% with a few super short short sections at maybe 6-7% That felt relatively sedate on my PR6. I've been at 52 on it in training so far on it and that felt fairly speedy, but not on the edge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hit 51.8 mph at Syracuse one year.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hit 58 mph on a dip in Syracuse 70.3 a few years ago, then I had to drop to the 39/25 and stand up to get out of the hole.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've hit 93 kph in a local Ontario race that goes up and then down off the Niagara Escarpment! Tough climb up it...but fast coming back down!

Member of the Litespeed Factory Team
www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Your downhill top speed in a triathlon [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
according to my Wahoo ELEMNT, I hit 61.4mph at IM Canada 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
77.8km/h (48.3 mph) at the Alpe d'Huez triathlon this year. That's with a speed sensor. GPS always overestimates max speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
51.2 in an Olympic distance race, there was a second time over 50 as well

https://connect.garmin.com/...n/activity/192511781
Quote Reply
Re: Your downhill top speed in a triathlon [stomponafrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This. Got to 52 mph at IMLP heading down to Keene when the high speed wobble kicked in, and it was the most scared I've ever been in 20 years of racing. Was riding a full carbon wheel, so was VERY worried about overheating brakes. That was lap 1. On lap 2, I sat up and took it as slowly as possible, about 45. No wobble the second lap. Tossed the wheels soon after.
Last edited by: Kscycler: Aug 22, 17 8:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been a few years but I was around 54mph on the backside of Richter on the old IMC Penticton course.

Hit 57ish earlier this summer but not during a race. Rather a bike trip in the Austrian Alps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
54 mph on the old Lake Stevens 70.3. It was sweet!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't think I have ever gone much over 40mph but that is because I don't have the balls/skill (delete as appropriate).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Low 50s don't remember the exact number it was a long time ago at Boulder Peak. Definitely a don't fuck this up moment. Also I think before they had the speed limit section.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
motorcity wrote:
What's your top speed? Which race "offers" the fastest downhill sections?
Nationals, in NE, 2 weeks ago. 51mph in the Standard Distance race.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was high 40s (mph) but don't remember where.
Quote Reply
Re: Your downhill top speed in a triathlon [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hit 53.9 in my aerobars a few weeks ago at a local sprint in NH. My helmet was lifting off my head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
66mph. Keene descent IMLP (formerly IMUSA). Lived in the area and was very familiar with the descent.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
66mph. Keene descent IMLP (formerly IMUSA). Lived in the area and was very familiar with the descent.

Stephen J

I would love to see the GPS track of that, seems hard to believe! I have been riding for years and never come close to 60. Any bike, road or tri. Unless you have like a 60X 11 anything will spin out at the high 40s. Terminal velocity for most is high 40s unless you have a really sustained steep downhill.
Last edited by: endosch2: Aug 22, 17 10:51
Quote Reply
Re: Your downhill top speed in a triathlon [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:

Stephen J

So that was you. I hit 49.5 diving into Keene, and somebody passed me at least 10 mph faster - and right after the rough patch, which made it more unbelievable.

Since they fixed half the road on that stretch, it's less hair-raising than it used to be. Can't wait until they finish it and it can be a fun bomb instead of a five-minute white-knuckle prayer session.
Quote Reply

Prev Next