Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Yoga
Quote | Reply
I have not seen this subject addressed in the forum, although I may have missed it. Has anyone tried yoga classes? I was talked into taking a class by a gym mate of mine. He is a fairly macho lad so I thought I could safely attend withouut feeling like I had given up all of my masculinity. Also, my wife who practices it regularly, has been prompting me to try yoga because she contends that I am about to become the strongest, most aerobically fit 54 year old who does not have the capacity to touch his knees with his fingertips. So, last Friday I went.

After 10 minutes I was sweating profusely and talking to myself about how there was no shame in quitting after say 20 minutes if I promised to come back again next week. Unfortunately, the guy who had talked the guy who talked me into taking the class was next to me so I wasn't giving in until he did. As the class progressed I got looser and eventually made it through. I was tired, a bit sore, and somewhat dazed (the same kind of dazed one feels after a massage or chiro adjustment). I liked it. I was a little sore the next day, but I am told that's normal. I think it will be a great compliment to our three sports, and might even allow me to get my head in the proper position when I take my breath. Who would have thought!!
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga [oglethorpe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it will be interesting how this tread grows because I have a sneaking suspicion that a few of us are indeed closet Yogaers. I started doing yoga in January and love it. I could tell big changes in my workouts too. The flexibility I gained in the classes help my swimming stroke as well as my recovery. In Gordo & Friel's new book it is intersting that in some of the sample workouts weeks, yoga is scheduled 3 or 4 times a week. I now do yoga twice a week and I would do it more if time allowed. Keep with it and your "Downward Dog" and "Plank" will get better.

Daniel

"Our bodies are our gardens - Our wills are our gardeners" - William Shakespeare
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love yoga! I've only been doing it for maybe 8 months, but I'm definitely hooked. I started taking it on Gordos recommendation (as well as that of my sister, who had been telling me to try it for almost 2 years) and figured that it would help with flexibility and core strength. Well, it certainly has that - although looking around the room at times I feel about as flexible as concrete (and I'm considered "very flexible" amongst non-triathlete runners).

There are a tonne of different styles out there, one of which is bound to suit just about anyone. My recommendation to anyone who tried it and didn't like it, or who is contemplating trying it is to visit a number of different studios and see which you like best. I settled on "Power Yoga", based on a teacher whom I like very much. Power Yoga unlike other more formal schools in that it varies a lot from one teacher to the next, so it's harder to judge "as a style" than say Iyengar, Bikram or Ashtanga. But definitely check it out!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well now you have gone and done it, the best kept secret is out. I have only being doing yoga for two months and I am hooked, it's the only work out I definitely don't miss. Started to go after my wife kept saying how good it was and how hard a workout is was (yeh right I thought).

Trust me, for anyone who thinks it's easy, please feel free to join my next session and then comment. Have noticed a great improvement in my flexibility, especially my hips, I will definitely be continuing for years to come.

Another plus is there are some nice looking girls in the class with whom you get all hot and sweaty, and you won't get in to trouble from the wife.

Remember, keep in touch with yourself!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yoga is awesome... a lot of it depends on the instructor, Ive seen good and bad. My schedule keeps me from going to a lot of classes so I have resorted to DVDs... Rodney Yee's yoga series are probably the best.

My wife laughs everytime that i come back from a class dripping in sweat. "exactly what kind of stretching is this?" anyways yoga leads to all of the strength and none of the weight and fewer injuries...

Be careful though, take it easy. Even though it is yoga you can injure yourself.

For anyone who thinks that Yoga has no action, buy me a beer and I will tell you the story about how I got a 3 inch scar on my forehead from yoga...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been doing yoga on and off for 20 years and steadily for the past four. It also coincides with my longest injury-free period doing triathlons (well, other than being hit by a car). Coincidence? Could be.

Now, how many of you do yoga at the race site before the event starts? Sun salutations at dawn in the grass in front of Lake Okanagan are among my fondest memories of August 27, 2000.

Dave Schoonmaker

Durham, NC
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga [dschoonmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, besides the physical benefits, any activity that has a participant base of limber, open-minded women has a lot to offer. Sign me up!

More seriously, I do Pilates for flexibility and core strength. Anyone else try Pilates? What do you think about it?

-Marc
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga [MarcK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marc-

I'm with you on the pilates scene! I really love it, and have been doing it consistently for about a year now, 3 times/week. It is amazing how much stronger I feel, and I can definitely tell a difference in my aerobic workouts.

Not so much with you on the bonus of lots-o-limber-women in the class :) But I would be impressed if a guy came to try it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga [MarcK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done pilates in the past, and found the core workout to be at least as difficult as yoga (if not more). I got out of it a few years ago, and somehow just never made my way back. If only I had more time...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply