Quote | Reply
his theory on less is more..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHZ48AE3TOI
Quote Reply
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen must have been coached by Paulo [butch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL.

"How can that be? More is more."

Srsly tho...kudos on actually referring to Yngwie Malmsteen anywhere, even more so for doing on a tri forum. FTW simply add Eddie, Joe Satriani and Steve Vai ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen must have been coached by Paulo [BrianD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianD wrote:
LOL.

Srsly tho...kudos on actually referring to Yngwie Malmsteen anywhere, even more so for doing on a tri forum. FTW simply add Eddie, Joe Satriani and Steve Vai ;)

Ry Cooder and Steve Vai - Crossroads guitar duel: http://www.guitar-tube.com/...sroads-guitar-battle

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen must have been coached by Paulo [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:

Ry Cooder and Steve Vai - Crossroads guitar duel: http://www.guitar-tube.com/...sroads-guitar-battle

John

Sir, you are a master. That is awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No list is complete without these boys. Watch as they rip it up at about 2:45...such passion and mastery of their craft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfiV77Q_8zk
Last edited by: RedLizard: Jan 23, 13 21:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
BrianD wrote:
LOL.

John

For my money, Ry wins the duel, but Ralph Macchio steals the show. He actually does a halfway convincing job of fake playing, at least to the many non-guitarists watching the show.
Quote Reply
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen must have been coached by Paulo [RedLizard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
useless info, while Ry Cooder provided the sweet blues stuff for Macchio, It was actually Vai who laid down the neo classical firestorm, otherwise known as 'Eugenes trickbag' for Macchio to mime to. A big giveaway is the high A note at the end, not possible a telecaster without resorting to pinched harmonics. ( and he's at the wrong end of the fretboard for that. )
</guitargeek>

the best bit of acting there was when Vai couldn't match his own playing :p

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Last edited by: slidecontrol: Jan 23, 13 23:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yngwie in a tri forum, you just made my day. It is kind of funny because I picked up my bass this weekend, pulled out the Rising Force song book and started trying to re-learn some songs I have not tried playing in 10+ years.

And for all you guitar players check out Billy Sheehan and Steve Harris for the masters of bass in my opinion. Sheehan actually played a lot with Vai and Yngwie, but I am sure you guys know that.

Contemplating a multi-sport comeback
Quote Reply
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen must have been coached by Paulo [offrhodes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on the verge of getting this pushed to the lavender room...

general to all that posted: i figured there were enough musicians/music fans that would appreciate the video. and lets face it, more is more....hopefully paulo would approve..and if yngwie says its true it must be!! no one else needs to ever weigh in on the topic..ever!! :)

to the fans of vai: i actually saw vai perform the whole crossroads thing at a show one time....mike kenneally did the ralph macchio part and quite well (To be honest its not too too difficult for those who wish to learn it...its not easy but it is doable..)

offrhodes: can you recommend a few of yngwie's best albums? ive been into guitar for years but honestly really just discovered him. youtube doesnt seem to have a lot. id prefer instrumental albums if possible. ive seen billy sheehan a few times, once with mr big when opening for rush but had no idea what i was looking at at the time, i now regret that. ive since become a huge paul gilbert fan. and ive also seen him play for vai as well...maybe satriani too, but cant quite remember as that is usually stuuuuuuuuu!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
butch wrote:
on the verge of getting this pushed to the lavender room...

general to all that posted: i figured there were enough musicians/music fans that would appreciate the video. and lets face it, more is more....hopefully paulo would approve..and if yngwie says its true it must be!! no one else needs to ever weigh in on the topic..ever!! :)

to the fans of vai: i actually saw vai perform the whole crossroads thing at a show one time....mike kenneally did the ralph macchio part and quite well (To be honest its not too too difficult for those who wish to learn it...its not easy but it is doable..)

offrhodes: can you recommend a few of yngwie's best albums? ive been into guitar for years but honestly really just discovered him. youtube doesnt seem to have a lot. id prefer instrumental albums if possible. ive seen billy sheehan a few times, once with mr big when opening for rush but had no idea what i was looking at at the time, i now regret that. ive since become a huge paul gilbert fan. and ive also seen him play for vai as well...maybe satriani too, but cant quite remember as that is usually stuuuuuuuuu!!

My Yngwie musts are the first three albums. Rising Force, Marching Out, and Triology. Did not buy anything after that, but have heard some of the other stuff over the years. And to go even further off topic, while I am not a big fan of Dragon Force, I saw them open for Killswitch Engage, I was totally blown away by the two guitar players.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bump for Yngwie!

Head down, thumbs up, give'r
@barrettdj
Quote Reply
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen must have been coached by Paulo [offrhodes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
offrhodes wrote:
And to go even further off topic, while I am not a big fan of Dragon Force, I saw them open for Killswitch Engage, I was totally blown away by the two guitar players.

Love dragon force. I played keyboards for a bit in high school, watching their player just kills me. Same for the keyboardist from Nightwish, especially songs like Gethsemane.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
BrianD wrote:
LOL.

John

Classic "less vs. more", "style vs. substance", and (most importantly) "music vs. notes."

As for Macchio, I remember reading somewhere that the producers said that the beauty of slide guitar was that it is relatively easy to fake visually, but playing it is a whole 'nother matter. You just need to move the slide up or down the neck at the right time to look convincing. Hitting the right strings at the right time and getting the right sound? Not so much. Wink

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for the info..will check those out..was on vacation in florida two years ago and yngwie was playing the house of blues one night and i never made it...kicking myself now..im a huge classcial fan, which is where ive focused my guitar efforts over the past 20 yrs..just recently picked up electric again..

have heard a bit of dragonforce but not much..will check them out more. ive heard some interviews with herman li, sounds like an interesting approach for sure...havent really tried sweep picking may have to give it a shot..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome thread!
Quote Reply
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen must have been coached by Paulo [slidecontrol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
one other tidbit...the actual classical parts were played by william kanengiser of the los angeles guitar quartet (who ill admit ive seen about 5 times in concert...then again ive seen vai, steve morse and dream theater 5 times each as well)...but if you youtube 'rondo alla turka' youll find the piece that ralph macchio was faking during the movie when he was at julliard....
Quote Reply
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen must have been coached by Paulo [trichris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, very cool. Yngwie Malmsteen plays a lot of notes fast, I don't think he is in the same league as Eddie, Joe, or Steve.
Kurt
Quote Reply
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen must have been coached by Paulo [kjanracing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjanracing wrote:
Yes, very cool. Yngwie Malmsteen plays a lot of notes fast, I don't think he is in the same league as Eddie, Joe, or Steve.
Kurt

You are right, he blows them away. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh jesus..here we go....was hoping it wouldnt go in this direction but what the hell...

my opinion:

yngwie is leagues above eddie and joe (and no disrespect to them at all)....eddie is a master songwriter and an awesome rhythm guitarist..i LOVE the lines he creates on the backside of the vocals...(probably his most overlooked skill), but his solos are a sloppy mess. same as jimmy page...theres nothing to them...i would argue randy rhoads wrote the best solos of all time...you can actually sing a randy rhoads solo, theyre mini songs within the songs.

joe also is a master song writer but his solos are the same thing over and over. legato on top of legato cause he cant hit the notes nor has the speed....

in terms of vai...id put them on par with each other. hes a monster..yngwie is a monster..

if you want to check someone stinking of total awesomeness check out guthrie govan. best thing ive heard in 20 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
butch wrote:
oh jesus..here we go....was hoping it wouldnt go in this direction but what the hell...

my opinion:

yngwie is leagues above eddie and joe (and no disrespect to them at all)....eddie is a master songwriter and an awesome rhythm guitarist..i LOVE the lines he creates on the backside of the vocals...(probably his most overlooked skill), but his solos are a sloppy mess. same as jimmy page...theres nothing to them...i would argue randy rhoads wrote the best solos of all time...you can actually sing a randy rhoads solo, theyre mini songs within the songs.

joe also is a master song writer but his solos are the same thing over and over. legato on top of legato cause he cant hit the notes nor has the speed....

in terms of vai...id put them on par with each other. hes a monster..yngwie is a monster..

if you want to check someone stinking of total awesomeness check out guthrie govan. best thing ive heard in 20 years.

I like Eric Johnson as well. Probably not in the league of Vai/Malm, but damned fun to listen to.

John

Quote Reply
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen must have been coached by Paulo [RedLizard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RedLizard wrote:
No list is complete without these boys. Watch as they rip it up at about 2:45...such passion and mastery of their craft.

No.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
źeah, what am I thinking? If there were a drug I could take that would make me be able to play like any one of those guys, but kill me in a year, I'd take it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
true dat!

EJ is my all time favorite. Has a nice mixture of everything, good chops, excellent song writing, 'musical' solos...
Quote Reply
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen must have been coached by Paulo [whydoidothis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
whydoidothis wrote:
RedLizard wrote:

No.

Double no...they certainly have a place in the "more is more" conversation, but this thread is not it ;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next