Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen must have been coached by Paulo [butch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread is giving me serious flashbacks, not to mention brining my work productivity to a screaching halt. Awesome!

First concert I ever saw was Vai playing with DLR on the Skyscraper tour, caught Satch a couple times in 89 or 90, and Yngwie 90 or 91. Never could get into Yngwie's music too much on the Walkman but damn he was amazing to watch.

Good times, good times.....
Quote Reply
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen must have been coached by Paulo [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

I remember having many discussions about whose better or what makes someone better back in the day. As I've grown older I've learned that being a musician is about the total package and if people think you are great, then you are great regardless of who thinks the fans are wrong.

This reminds me of a story

I met this guitar player in a bar in Cape May. He was the stereotypical blues-man … an old black dude, trucker hat, playing slide on a black Tele. The place was wild for this three-piece roadhouse band. During a break, I approached him at the bar and gave him the usual white-boy blues fan bullshit.

“Young man, cut the crap,” he said to me, “I saw your hands movin’. You play. How long?”

“I’m learning guitar, but,” my head dropped, “I’m really a just bass player.”

“Don’t discount the rhythm section, son,” he reprimanded me.

“You know how long I been playin’?” he asked. Before I could do any calculations, “Three years. That’s it. And people come from all around to see an old black man playing sloppy guitar.”

You might not be a virtuoso, you might only be starting out [three chords and the truth, right?] but if the audience buys it ... that's the rush

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen must have been coached by Paulo [undies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nah..i mentioned paul gilbert's solo stuff a few times but admittedly didnt mention racer x...if you want to throw up you can find a few teenage girls playing 'technical difficulties' and 'scarified' on youtube...selling my guitars after that one.

good call on john myung..
Quote Reply
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen must have been coached by Paulo [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
saw clapton one time and had mark knopfler as his sideman. ....i wasnt sure itd work but his style of playing really brought something different and quite tasteful to it....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally my words collide! Yngwie malmsteen kick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i agree with you 100%..though i love virtuosity i dont think speed equates to being a good musician. there are plenty of shredders on youtube and pros too who just dont do anything for me because all they are doing is running scales. that gets very boring very quickly...what is appealing to me, as im discovering yngwie, is his note selection. its not just mindless drivel. it goes somewhere, has a beginning and end and at least in my opinion, hes truly creating music not playing scales as fast as possible...

go listen to 'julia florida' as played by jason vieaux on youtube...a classical song, one of the most famous but not fast (it aint easy, ive fiddled with it but never gave it a good stab)...very very emotional piece...or to take it a step further the 'concierto de aranjuez'....a stunningly beautiful piece of music but not fast, actually really slow. written by rodrigo when his wife gave birth and the baby died shortly thereafter.

i havent specifically addressed it in this thread but people have mentioned the three chord guys, (ac/dc, zz top)....but those guys are awesome musicians...who cant hum the beginning of 'you shook me all night long' or 'thunderstruck' or 'legrange'.....or lets go with the simplest ever, though odd note choices 'smoke on the water'....all critical to music..

its interesting, i was in a music shop the other day talking to a drum tech in his late 50s and we got to chat along similar lines. he specifically mentioned dave weckl and said how no one wants to hear that 's**t'....i agreed in the sense that it wasnt for everyone but man the guy is good...im paying more attention to drummers these days and have been blown away by the zappa drummers and recently marco minnemann...not because of speed but because theyre innovative and more importantly, can keep the beat :) i played very briefly with a guy in college whod been taking drum lessons since he was six. truly amazing drummer but what we found when we played songs was he couldnt keep the beat..go figure...just like mindless shredding sounds like nonsense in the context of a song..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You think you're a good drummer? Can you keep up with this dude?

http://www.youtube.com/...ed&v=WqE9zIp0Muk
Quote Reply
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen must have been coached by Paulo [PappaD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
steve morse is awesome..i was actually in guitar center and they had the deep purple version of his guitar. i was so psyched to finally play it...as expected it didnt disappoint. musicman makes some truly awesome instruments...i bought a fender telecaster because i wanted to be steve morse..well that hasnt happened..at one point i could play simple simon, battle lines and vista grande but that was about it...met him once and got his, van romaines and dave larues autograph on a copy of the sheet music of one of his tunes...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm all about...

John Petrucci - Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment
Paul Gilbert
Joe Satriani
Alex Lifeson - Rush
Eddie Van Halen - Van Halen
Randy Rhoads - Ozzy Osbourne
Steve Vai

More is more... less is more... more is less, it's all good, just spread the love. (((HUGS))) \m/>.<\m/
Quote Reply
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen must have been coached by Paulo [Dufflite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
me too... all this talk about tappers is reminding me of one of my favorite amp up videos....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZuSaudKc68
Quote Reply
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen must have been coached by Paulo [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm more versatile than him. Like, I bet I can beat him in a game of basketball. ; ^ )

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a funny story and kind of counters my point. ; ^ )

I think in a way we can separate everything. Much like a triathlon might have a best swimmer, a best runner, and a best cyclist, as well as rich guys with the most expensive bikes and in shape dudes that get all the girls, the same goes for guitar playing. Just because eddie is more popular than yngvei shouldn't detract from the fact that yngvei has really mastered his craft!

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen must have been coached by Paulo [PappaD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote PappaD
Jeezus, it's like you stole the thoughts from my head. Anyone looking for total guitargasmania should go find the band Cacophony. Jason Becker and Marty Freidman, who later landed in Megadeth.

Oh, and really, Steve Morse schools them all.[/quote]
I remember back in the late 80's when I first started playing music and thumbed through every Guitar World (if I remember the name correctly) magazine. Racer X and Cacophony ads were all over the place. I will state again that I am a metal person and it seems today the guitar gods are rare. I think there was a point in the late 80's through the mid 90's when bands were known more for their guitar players than their singers.

When Freidman started with Megadeth I did get worried, but it was a great match up. Mustaine's style is just so different than Friedman's, messy vs. clean is the simplest way to explain it. And now with Chris Broderick it is the same way.

To address the 3-cord playing guys, there a lot of them that have caught my ear over the years. And I think the biggest influence over the past 20 years would have to be Kurt Cobain. Simple and sloppy, love it or hate it, it changed music forever.

I am tone deaf, and wish I had time to play more, but I agree that music it the key to the soul. There is a song for every mood you could be in that will just make your day better. If I hear 'December' by Only Living Witness (I hope more than one person knows who they are) everything else gets shut out of my mind for a few minutes.

As others have said, this is a great thread to get away from the LA, carbon, what wheel, how fast should I run threads.

Contemplating a multi-sport comeback
Quote Reply
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen must have been coached by Paulo [offrhodes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was waiting for someone to mention Chris Broderick. He and Jeff Loomis together in Nevermore was one of the best guitar duos I've seen/heard, live or recorded.

2021 races (hopefully!):
70.3 Memphis
70.3 North Carolina
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
but how about Paul Stanley? nobody jumps higher with high-platform leather boots than him! (insert pink font)
personally, I think John Petrucci is currently the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
butch wrote:
good call on petruccli..have seen DT a bunch of times. hes excellent..

here's Petrucci playing On The Backs Of Angels. I recorded it myself
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
butch wrote:
ive never understood the view that to have 'feel' or to 'say something' you have to play fewer notes, or super slow, or bend a note up an octave and hold it then throw some vibrato on to it...how does that make it more relevant? paul gilbery and yngwie have the absolute best vibrato in the business..music is about the feel the artist is trying to convey. you see 10,000 fans at a metallica show moshing to master of puppets, why? well, because its got a great feel and dynamic that gets a crowd pumping, (im not a metallica fan so im using an example of something i normally wouldnt)..

as you can imagine i respectfully disagree wholeheartedly....some guitarist hitting that one note and holding it (santana is probably the epitome of this that comes to mind) can be just as emotional as eric johnson doing the opening run in 'cliffs of dover'...more notes isnt necessarily a bad thing, nor is less notes better.

and to the point of this thread..more is more...so obviously ynwgie has lots to say :)

Great explanation. I've never understood the reasoning behind slower stuff having more feeling/soul either. Perhaps closing the eyes, while contorting your face makes all the difference!?!?

Some great musicians mentioned. One that I haven't seen listed is Mike Romeo from Symphony X - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWDvWICcQek

I'm not a Musicians A'hole, so no fancy explanation, but really dig his stuff.

Honorable mention for the "showmanship" alone - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ8ml7eENuI
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
That's a funny story and kind of counters my point. ; ^ )

I think in a way we can separate everything. Much like a triathlon might have a best swimmer, a best runner, and a best cyclist, as well as rich guys with the most expensive bikes and in shape dudes that get all the girls, the same goes for guitar playing. Just because eddie is more popular than yngvei shouldn't detract from the fact that yngvei has really mastered his craft!

Look at The Police [when they started that is, before Sting took over] ... you had three guys whose strongest suit was Jazz, playing Caribbean poly-rhythms, exploiting a market for the Punk look and producing 3-minute Pop songs

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw him when I was a wee lad. He opened for AC/DC. He blew me away. His sound was even louder than AC/DC if you believe that even possible.

http://www.fuelforendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen must have been coached by Paulo [OC Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OMG! Thanks for the upload! I saw that tour too. I'm a fan of this video...

Ytse Jam starts at 6:20 after Mangini's drum solo...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0IetJP7nVg

How did you get those seats? (besides paying for them) VIP?

I really like the video and audio quality of the video you uploaded. What recording setup did you use?

Mike Mangini is so freakin' badass.

I think I've seen DT 3 or 4 times... Score was one of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to google the name to find out who he was.

Never was a fan of hair metal, but still... now I feel old.

Thanks.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen must have been coached by Paulo [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GT wrote:
While I love Entwistle, I am not to fond of his tone in his later years. Best quote about The Ox:

Quote:

"One of the reasons why he and Roger never were really able to fully grow into what could have been a really great and nurturing, creative friendship was because Roger could not function onstage with this thing called John Entwistle and his stack... When these arguments happened about volume and Roger would say 'You know John just has to turn down.' I would say 'Well, in a normal world, yeah, but this isn't a normal world. This is the Who. That's John Entwistle.'"

--Pete Townsend

Never heard/seen that before, and as a HUGE Who fan since the early '70s, I thought I'd heard/seen everything ... but here it is [at 38-minutes or so]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hemnelbo1Y4

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've got to add Paco de Lucia and Django Reinhardt. I've seen Paco live a couple of times.

Here's a quote from The Wikipedia entry on Django--
Jerry Garcia as quoted in June 1985 in Frets Magazine ; "His technique is awesome! Even today, nobody has really come to the state that he was playing at. As good as players are, they haven’t gotten to where he is. There’s a lot of guys that play fast and a lot of guys that play clean, and the guitar has come a long way as far as speed and clarity go, but nobody plays with the whole fullness of expression that Django has. I mean, the combination of incredible speed – all the speed you could possibly want – but also the thing of every note have a specific personality. You don’t hear it. I really haven’t heard it anywhere but with Django".
Quote Reply
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen must have been coached by Paulo [Tom Fort] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Django Reinhardt is even more amazing when you realize he had only two good fingers on his fretboard hand.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Quote Reply
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen must have been coached by Paulo [trichris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
have you seen the documentary DT put together about the auditions for a new drummer? if not either check youtube or roadrunner records. i think theres three videos, each about 20 mins. they brought in i think 5 or 6 guys, lets see how good me memory is (mangini, marco minneman, thomas lang, aquiles preister, virgil donati, derek roddy, maybe one more)..it really is worth a watch and its amazing to see how all of them play completely differently. during the audition they did three things with each guy. first, they made them learn a few DT songs, second, they asked each guy to learn a line on the spot to something they had recently written, but the drummer never heard. and third they asked them to jam randomly...if you play close attention youll see the differences between the drummers when it comes to that and the comments from the band. it appears mangini had it all, though, personally i would have given it to marco minnemann....ive seen mangini play for steve vai a couple of times and hes an absolute beast, just a phenom. my comment on minnemann is just based on whats in the video..right now thomas lang is touring with paul gilbert...
Quote Reply

Prev Next