Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Yet another powermeter dilema
Quote | Reply
Like lots of other folks here I'd like to get started training with power, but I just cant decide on what powermeter to get. I'm in the $400-$700 range, so that pretty much narrows it down to the ibike or a wired powertap.

My issue is that I'd like to use it on both my road and tri bike, for training and racing. The ibike seems like the easiest solution to this because I can just remove it from one bike and put it on the other, but I've seen several questionable reviews of it, and it cant be used on a trainer. However, i can get a top of the line ibike for the same price as a entry level powertap.

The powertap on the other hand is fine, but I can only use it on one wheel. I could keep swapping the wheel between bikes as well as the computer and wires, and it would also involve changing cassettes. constanly as well. I have a mavic krserium on my road bike and a felt ttr3 with a disk cover on my tri bike.

Right now I"m leaning in the direction of the ibike, but I just cant bring myself to spending $$ on it with some of the poor reviews I've read. Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Yet another powermeter dilema [Triburger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So do you want a powermeter or something you can use to measure the strength of your farts?

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a 2nd wired mount for the powertap if you have to go wired. It will save you a ton of time and frustration of changing the wired harness back and forth. Unless one bike has 9-speed and the other 10-speed, you could use the same wheel on both for training...that way no changing the cassette.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Yet another powermeter dilema [-Tex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok both RD"s are ultegra, but will they both work with a different gear ratio on the cassette?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as both bikes are the same # of speeds, then yes the derailler will work. If you want to get technical, you 'could' run the tri bike in 'friction' mode if the cassettes were different speeds. All friction means (sorry if you know this...but some people have not been around long enough to know what friction shifting is) is that you don't get the 'clicks' for each shift.

How often do you switch bikes anyways? Typically, we don't switch very often during the season unless it is for a ride around town or a super easy ride where wattage doesn't really matter...unless you are that type-A.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The most important thing to consider when choosing a power meter is the quality of data it provides.
Everything else is a feature.

The wired PT produces the same quality of data as the most expensive wireless models. And importantly you can check its calibration.
One extra harness, maybe a wheelcover for TT racing and you're good to go.
Swapping cassettes is no big deal.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Training Plans -- Power Meter Hire -- SRM Sales Australia -- cyclecoach.com -- My Blog -- Sydney Turbo Studio
Last edited by: Alex Simmons: Oct 13, 09 0:00
Quote Reply
Re: Yet another powermeter dilema [Alex Simmons] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The most important thing to consider when choosing a power meter is the quality of data it provides.
RChung likes this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely go with the PT and I know it will be painful initially but go with the wireless if you can. You will not regret it. Those harnesses wear out and they become a big pain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+! what others said about PT..

You need two wiring harnesses..

You don't need to swap cassettes assuming you using 10 (or 9) on both bikes..

It takes a minute swap a wheel.

The PT on the trainer is really very valuable for all of your intervals, the iBike is useless in the context.

Unless something has changed in terms of reliability w/the iBike you'll regret buying it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a wired PT that I use on two bikes (one 9 speed, the other 10 speed). I bought a second harness for something like $60-$65 and it takes me about 2 minutes to swap cassettes between 9 and 10 speeds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh and one more thing. If I have a 24 spoke wheel, then does the powertap NEED to be 24 spoke, or does 32 spoke only fit with 32 spoke wheels?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What you probably want is to buy the entire wheel (hub, spokes, and rim) from powertap in whatever spoke count you want.

Unless you are proposing to buy just the hub (no spokes, no rim) from powertap, then the # of spokes does not matter. If one of your wheels has 24 spokes, one has 32 spokes, AND you are going to buy a new powertap wheel, then it doesn't matter.

Does that make sense?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm actually considering just buying the hub and then lacing it into a 24 spoke wheel that i will use for trainng and racing, so will a 32 hole powertap work for this or not? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the do it yourselfer no. Buy the same # of holes in the hub and rim to make it 'easy.'

Since there are 8 fewer spokes in a 24 hole hub than a 32 hole hub, you can do some strategic skips in the lacing pattern, but I wouldn't recommend it if you are doing it yourself. I would find either a 24 hole PT hub and 24 hole rim OR go with 32 each or 28 if they make it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm actually considering just buying the hub and then lacing it into a 24 spoke wheel that i will use for trainng and racing, so will a 32 hole powertap work for this or not? Thanks.
Bad idea. Match the hole count rim and hub.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Training Plans -- Power Meter Hire -- SRM Sales Australia -- cyclecoach.com -- My Blog -- Sydney Turbo Studio
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Like lots of other folks here I'd like to get started training with power, but I just cant decide on what powermeter to get. I'm in the $400-$700 range, so that pretty much narrows it down to the ibike or a wired powertap.

My issue is that I'd like to use it on both my road and tri bike, for training and racing. The ibike seems like the easiest solution to this because I can just remove it from one bike and put it on the other, but I've seen several questionable reviews of it, and it cant be used on a trainer. However, i can get a top of the line ibike for the same price as a entry level powertap.

The powertap on the other hand is fine, but I can only use it on one wheel. I could keep swapping the wheel between bikes as well as the computer and wires, and it would also involve changing cassettes. constanly as well. I have a mavic krserium on my road bike and a felt ttr3 with a disk cover on my tri bike.

Right now I"m leaning in the direction of the ibike, but I just cant bring myself to spending $$ on it with some of the poor reviews I've read. Any ideas?
IF you have the same BB on both bikes, buy a used SRM with the Dura ace cranks. if you are lucky, you'll even get a second wiring harness and be done. I've seen several on ebay recently, just purchased 2 with octalink crankarms and some extra stuff thrown in. One set I won for $455, the other for $910. So, there are other options for you out there.

persequetur vestra metas furiose
Quote Reply
Re: Yet another powermeter dilema [E_moto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depending on how desperate you are to get one, there were a ton of announcements around pedal-based power meters at Interbike this year. Most of the companies are looking to have products available Q1 of 2010. This would eliminate the majority of your issues with swapping back and forth. Though just slightly above your price point at about $1,000 - it does include the pedals.

One for example:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...terbike-2009-part-15

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

The wired PT produces the same quality of data as the most expensive wireless models. And importantly you can check it's calibration.

Best answer I've seen in a long time. And I'm not focusing on the actual answer, ie, a wired PT, but the quality in how it was stated.

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Yet another powermeter dilema [lakerfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

The wired PT produces the same quality of data as the most expensive wireless models. And importantly you can check it's calibration.

Best answer I've seen in a long time. And I'm not focusing on the actual answer, ie, a wired PT, but the quality in how it was stated.

Thanks, Chris
Thanks but it just highlighted the stray apostrophe I accidentally slipped in there, so I amended my original post to remove it :D

Quote Reply