Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Yellowstone --> Denver Roadtrip. S/B/R Advice
Quote | Reply
Hi All

I've got a 2 week vacation planned, starting at the North of Yellow Stone, ending in Denver

It's a bit of an 'escape from life' plan, so just me, a car a bike and a tent.

Its the off season for me (IM just completed) so just want to log some unstructured base miles.

So...

Bike: Any good rides. Any hills/mountains I need to conquer
Run/Hike: Any good trails to hit.
Swim: OWS options (will have wetsuit)

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Yellowstone --> Denver Roadtrip. S/B/R Advice [plumber250] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spend some/most time in the Jackson Hole area - ride over Teton Pass, swim in Jackson Lake, hike to Lake of the Crags for a steep climb, traverse some canyons for a muti-day backpacking trip - Paintbrush Canyon, Death Canyon, Granite Canyon. Take the tram to the top of the ski resort and do a day hike off the summit. Check out Exum Mountain Guides, if you want to get into something a little more gnarly.

Try to spot a grizzly and a wolf in Yellowstone. Don't get charged by a moose or bison in the process.

Watch Old Faithful erupt once and then get as far away from it (read: the tourists with selfie sticks)as possible.

Don't miss the Grand Prismatic Spring.

Check out Granite Hot Springs for some r&r.

There isn't much between Jackson and Denver - just 8 hours or so of wide open redneck Wyoming. You could take a day or two in Ft. Collins, CO and explore some breweries and the Poudre River.

Eat some delicious food in Denver. Day trip to Boulder. See a concert at Red Rocks.
Last edited by: ninagski: Aug 10, 17 13:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right off I-80 between Laramie and Cheyenne is Turtle Rock/Vedawoo Campground/climbing area. Great for trail runs, hiking, climbing, and mtn bike riding(Curt Gowdy )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is extensive national forest land surrounding Yellowstone, and Bridger-Teton has some nice running trails. They discourage trail running in YNP or the Tetons because of bears. The Jackson Hole/Teton area has some nice paved bike trails that run parallel to the roads. You could also rent a mountain bike in Jackson and ride in the national forests.

On the way to Denver, swing through Rocky Mountain National Park and ride Trail Ridge Road. People make a big fuss about it because of the elevation, but it isn't very steep so it is surprisingly easy. Breckenridge has great trails and roads. Just outside of it is Mt Evans, which is supposed to be a great challenge, but I haven't ridden that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beartooth Pass is close and one of the most beautiful climbs in the country. Either side.

Chief Joseph pass is just south of Beartooth.

Togwotee Pass just east of Tetons.

Riding INSIDE Yellowstone will be sketchy at best. No shoulder so go early if at all if possible. Or be bright and well lit.

You can run anywhere. It's all beautiful.

Denver. There's a pile of them there, but Rocky Mountain Park is hard to beat. Trail Ridge Road is the gem of the park.

If you are feeling super ambitious try Pikes Peak. That's a VERY hard climb. #5 in the USA.

Believe it or not I've done all those rides in the last few years. I loved each and every one. The only real hard one is Pikes. You almost have to have a dedicated low gear setup for that. All the others are just a nice sustained grade that most can tackle no problem.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Yellowstone --> Denver Roadtrip. S/B/R Advice [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To piggy back off this...I wouldn't recommend riding inside Yellowstone...EVER - unless the roads are closed during the off-season. Once you see the distraction level of drivers searching for wildlife, you'll understand. People on bikes are hit regularly. Same in Grand Teton. (There is a bike path that runs through parts of Grand Teton that is nice, however.)
Quote Reply