Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Yakima Wheelstraps for Aero Wheel?
Quote | Reply
I have Yakima roof racks on a subaru outback. The current wheelstrap for the back wheel is not long enough to strap in my FLO 90 rear wheel. I didn't see anything on the website, but does Yakima have longer wheelstraps? Any other suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Yakima Wheelstraps for Aero Wheel? [RDL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RDL wrote:
I have Yakima roof racks on a subaru outback. The current wheelstrap for the back wheel is not long enough to strap in my FLO 90 rear wheel. I didn't see anything on the website, but does Yakima have longer wheelstraps? Any other suggestions?

If using standard trays, just wrap and secure with nylon straps, cord, rope, etc. (Wrap/secure rim to tray, cinch tight with ratchet buckle or quality knot, etc.) ADD: A length of old inner tube also works well as tie-down strap.
Last edited by: Brushman: Mar 3, 15 18:47
Quote Reply
Re: Yakima Wheelstraps for Aero Wheel? [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Went cross-country with FOUR tri bikes on the roof of a rented Passat. A bungee to the rear skewer works just fine when standard length wheel straps don't. I also use an old innertube all the time. Loop it through itself around the crossbar, through the seatstay, and then hook the loop back over the end of the crossbar outboard of the bar mount. Works like a charm.

Ex Race Director, put out of business by the Rona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found an extra long Yakima replacement wheel strap on eTrailer.com, part number Y8880229. Not sure if it's long enough for the 90's though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 90mm wheel with a Yakima rack as well. I used a velcro strap that I purchased at Home Depot. The strap has elasticity to it so I can get a nice snug fit. It looks clean and it hasn't damaged my wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RDL wrote:

With the fairing being non-structural, maybe looping around it is not a good idea? Sounds like it could lead to cracks.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toe clip straps work great - very secure and strong. Just be careful with a faired wheel like FLO or HED...

Remember Luddites are people too...
Quote Reply
Re: Yakima Wheelstraps for Aero Wheel? [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All these are pretty good ideas, however, I would not use something elastic like an inner tube if you use a fork mount roof rack. The inner tube will likely hold your bike, but it could also damage your fork if the elastic wheel mount stretches during a high load situation.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Yakima Wheelstraps for Aero Wheel? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I 2nd the toe straps.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe companies with fairing wheels like flo and Hed don't recommend securing the rim like you normally would as mentioned.

I would go to the chain stay with a velcro strap you can get them at home depot/lowes places like that.

I've used one on my structural carbon rear wheel a bunch of times without problem

http://www.amazon.com/...-Strap/dp/B003GDQGFQ

Probably a way to secure it to the chainstay i some way
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RDL wrote:

Just FYI, we don't recommend securing the bike to your rack by our wheels. The fairing is not structural and to be 100% safe, I'd use another part of the frame, or use a training wheel for transport.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply