Xterra Worlds @ Maui
Quote | Reply
What no Xterra love? Who's in?

Can't wait to put the Hammer Down.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Worlds @ Maui [Beachboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in!!

If..I can kick this damn cold that hit me on the flight over from London...

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in and stoked about it. XTERRA brought the big junk of training fun back for me this year.

Having raced Kona 2 weeks earlier, I will need to see what's left.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Worlds @ Maui [kus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck guys! I haven't been on this site in a long time. I have a friend racing Xterra Maui and came here to see if there is any chatter about the race. This was the only thread I could find. :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm here, but would love the trails to dry up!!!

http://www.raptorcorn.com
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Worlds @ Maui [jhorn929] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How nasty is it? I'm supposed to pre-ride in the am...
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Worlds @ Maui [Race Bannon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race Bannon wrote:
Good luck guys! I haven't been on this site in a long time. I have a friend racing Xterra Maui and came here to see if there is any chatter about the race. This was the only thread I could find. :(

It's odd, Xterra doesn't get a lot of love around here. I think this may change though in the next years. It's simply more raw than road tris, and people will want that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm here on an unrelated vacation, but looking forward to running the 10k on Saturday and my kids will do the fun run. Then of course spectating on Sunday. Should be a lot of fun all around!
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Worlds @ Maui [sailnfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The run is super fun, first 5k up hill and the last 500m will make you cry ;)

I think it's a just a suffer fest, much harder the most road tri's but in a fun way laid back way.
Last edited by: Beachboy: Oct 24, 14 1:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What happened to the days when the Kona champion would follow it up with Xterra Worlds in Maui? When did that tradition come to an end?
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Worlds @ Maui [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When Pteridactyls ruled the skys.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Worlds @ Maui [renolaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They said the trails should be great today if it did not rain over night. Did it rain overnight? I'm not sure, I was sleeping :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It rained hard overnight.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Worlds @ Maui [Matthew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a bummer.

Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Worlds @ Maui [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are still a handful of athletes doubling up, but I honestly think it's become more of an AGer thing.
I don't have much desire to do an IM, but I've always thought I might like to do the Hawaii double...provided I could finance the trip.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
XTerra Maui is on my short list of races I would love to do.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, looking pretty wet this am...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rained, but at 2:00 it was tracked up and super fast and fun......people this morning, covered in mud. This afternoon I just needed a wipe to clean me bike.

The surf was sweet this morning, the swim should be fun if the whether is the same on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Worlds @ Maui [kus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kus wrote:
Race Bannon wrote:

It's odd, Xterra doesn't get a lot of love around here. I think this may change though in the next years. It's simply more raw than road tris, and people will want that.

I think a lot of people talk a big game. I don't think a lot of people actually want something really raw. They want something that "looks" raw, hence the recent popularity of running around in the mud.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Worlds @ Maui [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
XTERRA was actually going through some real troubles on the east coast over the last few years. A lot of races have died, and most others are shrinking.
It really is a shame, because XTERRAs are so much fun. It's a bit of a chicken or egg thing, as I'm not keen on driving 6 hours for sprint-type races of 150 competitors, but at the same time, nobody is going to put on more races when the existing ones are struggling.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rode at 9am and was a complete mess, more walking than riding, it'll be interesting if it rains like it's supposed to
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully since it has been dry since yesterday it will remain so and the course can dry out some. The worst part of the course for passing and traffic is where it is the worst so it could be terrible tomorrow.

The water today is pretty rough too, I felt like I was all over the place this morning! However it turns out, it's going to be memorable!

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Worlds @ Maui [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've not had any problems, the course has tacked up and fast....16psi in the rear and even pedal. You'll roll right through those wet muddy roots.

It was a blast watching people getting pounded in the surf today :) I can wait for the gun.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Worlds @ Maui [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep Madam Pele'' delivered (as well as the entire crew of Team Unlimited) on Sunday. Some swell with 2-3" shore pound and some chop during the swim . Lots of climbing with some rooty, wet and slick spots on the bike along with some "find your line" fast descents. And then that gnarley run.......another great race put on by the team of Xterra. Foreign contingency huge these days. That and fast.

dr
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Worlds @ Maui [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iank wrote:
XTERRA was actually going through some real troubles on the east coast over the last few years. A lot of races have died, and most others are shrinking.
It really is a shame, because XTERRAs are so much fun. It's a bit of a chicken or egg thing, as I'm not keen on driving 6 hours for sprint-type races of 150 competitors, but at the same time, nobody is going to put on more races when the existing ones are struggling.

Not "was going through troubel", but "is going through trouble". Last year (2013) at XTERRA Stoaked we had 112 people for Sunday's race and 47 for the short course the day before. This year we had 31 people on Saturday and 41 people for Sunday. This is a race that has been around for 10 years, and I took over running it 2 years ago. Maybe I sucked at directing it, but nobody has given me that clear of a message, but I cannot figure out where everyone went. The new race in Massachusetts only had 60 people at it. I wish New England would come out and support the off-road multisport races. I took a HUGE personal financial loss this year. Would I love to put on an XTERRA weekend again? Absolutely. Can I afford to with participation levels as they were at the NE races this year? NO.

Contemplating a multi-sport comeback
Last edited by: offrhodes: Oct 28, 14 7:46
Quote Reply

Prev Next