Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

XTerra Mtn Bike Advice
Quote | Reply
Hey All:

I am looking for a solid bike for Xterra racing. I have an older 29 hardtail (aluminum frame) that I feel is time for an upgrade. I am considering a Cannondale Scalpel 2 29er Santa Cruz Tallboy CC 29er or Orbea Oiz M20 27.5. Any thoughts on these or any other bikes I should be looking at?

Here is the catch: I am a weird size as I am all of 5'8" and have a leg length of 28.5 inches (basically all torso) and I am torn between a 29er and a 27.5. On my hardtail, I have always felt its a little too big for me to throw around the way I want too. I have a background in mtn biking but all my days were fully on a 26. I have tested them all and feel better than I do on my hardtail. Any suggestions on how to decide

Thanks in advance!!!
Quote Reply
Re: XTerra Mtn Bike Advice [koval27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm the same height as you with more even proportions, but frankly the X/Y in my experience doesn't matter as precisely in MTB as it does on road/TT bikes

I don't know what you're looking at price wise, but for your size 27.5 is what I would recommend. I have a Giant Anthem full suspension. There is an Anthem with carbon wheels for like $4500 iirc. That seems like a pretty solid deal to me compared to others in its class
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott Spark 710?

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Cannondale Trigger is a 27.5 bike. It's been awhile since I was off-road, but it's another option since you are already considering Cannondale. Tri-Cyclist had a few guys who rode it on a variety of terrain. It might seem a bit long travel or 'too' all mountain, but it'd work I'm sure if you were set on 27.5 wheels.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: XTerra Mtn Bike Advice [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
I'm the same height as you with more even proportions, but frankly the X/Y in my experience doesn't matter as precisely in MTB as it does on road/TT bikes

I don't know what you're looking at price wise, but for your size 27.5 is what I would recommend. I have a Giant Anthem full suspension. There is an Anthem with carbon wheels for like $4500 iirc. That seems like a pretty solid deal to me compared to others in its class

Thanks everyone so far for their response.

Pricewise, I'd like to be ideally be between somewhere between 4500-5500 as that seems to be where I can get the most bang for the buck in terms of full suspension/carbon/components. More than that the incremental gains in weight I'd be better served training/riding more. I am against anything Specialized as I think you pay more for the name then the value. Also does anyone know anything about the Felt Edict?
Quote Reply