Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

XTerra Fruita Roll Call
Quote | Reply
Heading out to Fruita tomorrow morning. Looking to do a one loop pre-ride of the bike and run course tomorrow afternoon. I'll be camping with a buddy right there at Highline State Park. Looks like a great weekend.

If you haven't seen it yet, the RD posted a video of the bike course. Looks fun and fast.

Anyone on here done that race? I'm signed up this year and looking for any insight. Typical water temps? Bike course conditions? Run course?

Any info appreciated. Looking forward to it. First XTerra since 2003. I've camped at Highline Stare Park on some Fruita mtn bike trips. Should be a fun time.

Formerly DrD
Last edited by: Broken Leg Guy: Sep 10, 15 16:05
Quote Reply
Re: XTerra Fruita [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't done the race but I have ridden the bike course. It's non-technical, fast flowy singletrack. A couple few climbs but nothing too long or extreme. A fun corkscrew downhill portion, a lot of twisty turns that you can't see ahead of time because of the long grass. A very fast course I imagine. I'm guessing the water temp. won't be bad. Don't know about the run, didn't go on that course. I'd love to do it myself if only it wasn't a week before Nationals.

Elayne
New Day Rising Hypnosis
Quote Reply
Re: XTerra Fruita [colliebrains] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I did a run around the lake when I was camping out at Highline about 12 years ago. Seems like a lot of rolling up and down. Nothing like the climb at XTerra Keystone!

I plan on heading out from Denver early the day before the race and camping in the park. Probably get an easy pre-ride of the bike and run course that afternoon.

I'm going to email Darrin the RD to see what last year's water temp was like. I know one of the past few years it may have snowed. Being the high desert the air temp could be 40 or 100 in September.

Good luck at Nationals. This is my first XTerra since 2003.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a great course for someone getting back into things. Not too technical or hilly or long but fun and scenic. The trickiest parts are probably passing on the bike since it's 2 laps and handling the twists and turns at speed. I think I sort of remember double track in places and there were definitely places where trails came together and there were wide bits for passing so maybe it's not such an issue. And since it's only 2 laps you can easily pre-ride the day before and not wear yourself out.

The park looks great for camping, so green and lush and plenty of trees for shade.

Of course anything is possible in CO in Sept. but snow is not super likely. Will probably be a beautiful day at that time of year. Have fun and enjoy your comeback.

Elayne
New Day Rising Hypnosis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe they're doing two waves separated by 30 min with the faster mtn bikers in the first wave. That was definitely a major issue at Keystone. Got stuck on the single track climb behind faster swimmer/slower riders. The bike is my relative strength.

My swimming has improved since then so hopefully a clearer course. I've done a few road tris recently but after a nasty broken leg a few years ago(hence the name) I've only recently started trail running again.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, 30 minutes between waves, it should be no problem, esp. if you get out of the water relatively early. Should be able to get through the first lap before the slower bikers get on course. Makes me want to do it all the more and I love Fruita but it's just too much travel a couple of days before leaving for UT. Sounds like a fun weekend, I'm sure it'll be a great race for your return.

Elayne
New Day Rising Hypnosis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just looked at the website again and it shows 1st wave at 8:30, 2nd wave 9:10. 40 minutes!

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: XTerra Fruita Roll Call [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heading out to Fruita tomorrow morning. Pre-riding the bike/run course in the afternoon. I'll be on a green Gary Fisher.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply