Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

XLab Torpedo vs Profile Design Aero HC System
Quote | Reply
Looking for a new front end hydration system. I've been using a Profile Design Aerodrink system for a few years and have always experienced bad splashing and leaking. I looked at the torhans but want to look into a semi interchangable system that i dont have to entirely remove between training and racing. From what I understand the torpedo and hc system would allow me to use regular bottles while training and the manufactured bottles with straws during race.

Does anyone have experience with either or both that could give me insight? Leaking, unexpected bottle launch, etc?
Quote Reply
Re: XLab Torpedo vs Profile Design Aero HC System [somar77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had and used/raced with both, and have to recommend the Xlab Torpedo. Narrower profile, computer mount out front (i.e. much better visibility), and straw that can be tucked down out of the wind. It tested well in the wind tunnel, although I never saw an apples to apples comparison between the two.

I had some launching issues with the Aero HC but they claim to have fixed it, and they shipped me a new part (that's discussed on a thread on here somewhere). But I haven't tried it yet as I'm happy with the Torpedo. PD customer support was great throughout those issues.

Advantage of the Aero HC is less spillage when refilling on the go, b/c of the raised refill part. The Aero HC is easier to close as it's a hard plastic cap that snaps closed, whereas the Torpedo's is a soft rubber cap that is a bit harder to seal completely. I never had any leaking issues with the Aero HC. The straw is always there in your face, and some people seem to like that. I just don't need a straw in my face to remember to drink.

There are of course others who believe only a sucker would buy either one, when simpler and cheaper solutions are possible.

Good luck.
Last edited by: mbwallis: Dec 10, 13 16:06
Quote Reply
Re: XLab Torpedo vs Profile Design Aero HC System [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
...I never had any leaking issues with the Aero HC. The straw is always there in your face, and some people seem to like that. I just don’t need a straw in my face to remember to drink.

Have you had leaking issues with the Torpedo because of the rubber cap? I do like the setup with the computer up front.

I'm actually one of the fools that needs a straw to remember to drink(or maybe i'm just too lazy to reach for anything).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used both. I could not put nutrition in the Aerodrink because it would just splash all over me, make a sticky mess, and my legs would start to itch as the sticky crap dried. I used just water for awhile and then said screw it and just went with a bottle mounted between the bars.

With my new bike I was unable to run a normal cage and mount my Edge 810, so I got the Torpedo. As it turns out, it doesn't work with the Edge 810 as it is too tall. I mounted it backwards and was then able to mount a barfly mount. There was no way with just a regular cage and zip ties to get everything to fit. I have had only a few drops splash out of the torpedo when it was completely full and I hit a large pothole. The straw takes a little more effort to drink from than I would like since it has to have a bit valve to prevent leaking, but I got used to it.

All that being said, I'd rather just drink from a regular bottle mounted on my down and/or seat tube. Both of those were occupied with nutrition at IMAZ though, so I put the Torpedo on so I'd always have some water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
somar77 wrote:
Have you had leaking issues with the Torpedo because of the rubber cap? I do like the setup with the computer up front.

I'm actually one of the fools that needs a straw to remember to drink(or maybe i'm just too lazy to reach for anything).

No, the Torpedo has not leaked a drop. Neither did the HC.
Quote Reply
Re: XLab Torpedo vs Profile Design Aero HC System [steelerguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bite valve is actually designed to hold the liquid right at the top of the straw in order to help avoid sucking air which could eventually cause bloating on the run. You can certainly cut the bite valve off the straw and as soon as you are done drinking your hydration will go back into the bottle. No leaking whatsoever. In fact, Luke McKenzie does this with his Torpedo System.

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using the PD HC system and have no issues with it. I've been using it for races and even for training. The default cage you can use with regular bottles if you want but you really don't have to since you can refill it easily from drinking fountains/conv store/etc. Easy to clean since the sharp head piece is removable. I don't have the Xlab so can't comment on that one but it looks slick too. GL
Quote Reply
Re: XLab Torpedo vs Profile Design Aero HC System [flyrunride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just bought an XLab Torpedo. I was leaning towards the PD Aero HC because a buddy had one (was actually leaning towards the Aerodrink at first), then heard a lot of guys here suggest the Speedfil A2, finally settled on the Xlab Torpedo because for the price (comparing Amazon prices), it was the cheapest option, and it doesn't have any wetted ports/seals. The A2 and the HC both have the horizontal screw caps, the straw and fill head unit for the A2 and the nose cone for the HC. Maybe they seal well and never leak, but for my comfort/faith, I like that the Xlab doesn't have anything that can potentially leak. All of the Torpedo's "ports" are on the top, so the only leak potential is spashing out.

I suppose the Aero HC mount is probably less prone to bounce/vibrate since it has the hinged wings rather than simple Velcro straps of the Torpedo.

I DO prefer the Torpedo's computer mount being out front, whereas the Aero HC's computer mount is behind the bottle.

One way that a guy can make the HC more "splash proof" upon filling: Get two pieces of latex (cut the palms out of rubber gloves if you can't find latex anywhere else), pull them taught but not stretched across the fill cap, so there's about 1/4" overlap in the middle of the fill port. Use electrical tape to secure the latex to the flip-top lid "housing". When you fill, you just have to press the bottle tip hard enough slip between the two latex flaps. The snap lid should still lock around it just fine, or you could eliminate the lid as the latex should keep it dry without worry.
Quote Reply
Re: XLab Torpedo vs Profile Design Aero HC System [Candice - XLAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got my torpedo and the straw diameter is too big to fit in the holes. What am I doing wrong?
In Reply To:

Jon Bergmann
http://jonbergmann.com
Quote Reply
Re: XLab Torpedo vs Profile Design Aero HC System [JBergmann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It'll fit, you just gotta want it bad enough!

I like the tight fit on mine. That way it stays 100% secure, exactly where I put it.
Quote Reply
Re: XLab Torpedo vs Profile Design Aero HC System [JBergmann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JBergmann wrote:
I just got my torpedo and the straw diameter is too big to fit in the holes. What am I doing wrong?
In Reply To:
Yes. It is hard to do, but it is possible. Barely.
Quote Reply
Re: XLab Torpedo vs Profile Design Aero HC System [Chokebait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chokebait wrote:
. . . The . . . HC (has) the horizontal screw cap . . . the nose cone for the HC. Maybe they seal well and never leak . . .

The HC screw on nose cone seals well and never leaks.

Quote | Reply
Hey Jon. As others mentioned it is tight, but it is for a reason :) You pinch it near the entry, then twist and work it in a circular fashion. We show how to insert the straw at the end of our install video on the website. It is at the 5:00 mark of the video. If you need any additional help you can give us a call 760-735-3215 or email us at info@xlab-usa.com. Ask for either Damon or Patrick.

Candice Turner
CEO
Quote Reply
Re: XLab Torpedo vs Profile Design Aero HC System [Candice - XLAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Without cutting off the valve, is there a way to make water flow throught the straw quicker? I have to work really hard to get enought liquid through the bite valve.
thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm very much liking my new Torpedo but I do have a couple of suggestions and a couple of questions. I apologize if I'm repeating anything.

Suggestions:

1. It would be nice if you gave us a longer straw and let us cut it. For me this would help because by necessity, my aerobars are tilted ever-so-slightly upwards. Not much, but enough that the liquid in the bottle must pool in a small area near the stem when it gets low. The only way for me to be able to drink everything is to have a straw that reaches all the way to the back. This has forced me to use the straw hole closest to me but I would have preferred to use the far one. If the supplied straw was a few inches longer, I could just have cut it to length
  2. The very edge of the computer mount where it makes contact with the carbon plate has a little "lip" to it. So that it does not sit flush on the plate. Not sure why this is but I actually took my Dremel and smoothed it off so it would fit better. Unless there's a compelling reason to leave it that way, it would be nice to make it flat.

Questions:

1. If I were to buy a replacement straw from you, is it longer or just the same length as the on that came with the bottle?
  2. Can I use a Camelback straw in there instead? That would be great as I can just walk into my local REI to buy one.

Last edited by: JoeO: Jun 2, 14 10:29
Quote Reply
Re: XLab Torpedo vs Profile Design Aero HC System [wgsiegel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How are you using the valve now? With your lips or teeth?

Candice Turner
CEO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teeth. I have tried biting down on several different ways with no improvements. I can draw fluid but it flows slowly
Quote Reply
Re: XLab Torpedo vs Profile Design Aero HC System [wgsiegel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm ok. When I clamp down on mine, it is midway down the valve and I get a good flow. Would you mind sending me a couple pics of your valve? I would need one with the cover on and one without the cover (side shot). If you could email them to me that would be great in case I need to pull my design team in on it. candice@xlab-usa.com.

Candice Turner
CEO
Quote Reply
Re: XLab Torpedo vs Profile Design Aero HC System [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Joe0,

Thanks for your suggestions! I'll forward this onto our design team. I will say stay tuned as we are working on some things that may be of interest to you :) I post new product announcements on our social media pages and here on Slowtwitch if there is a current topic on it.

1. the replacement straw - the straws available in the spare parts section is the same straw that came with the Torpedo System that you have.
2. Re Camelbak straw, they have a couple different straws. I am trying to get the diameter of the straw, but it's taking me a bit longer than I thought. Will write back and let you know whether it is compatible or not when I have an answer for you.

Candice Turner
CEO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same issues with splashing and the straw constantly in my face with the Profile Design. In the process of putting new base and aero bars on my bike after a run-in with a '97 Mercedes. Anyone with thoughts/experiences on the new horizontal unit made by Nathan?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Profile HC, and have never had problems with splashing or launching. I haven't even needed to use the extra plastic part that clamps the bottle down into the cage. As for the straw, I simply cut it to the length I wanted so it sits out of the way.
Quote Reply
Re: XLab Torpedo vs Profile Design Aero HC System [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ended up going with the XLab system. I did some tweeks and use the soft straw that came with my old profile design aero drink. Works great, no splashing. Also interchangeable and I can use regular bottles in the cage.
Quote Reply